“Almost Excellent”

The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #15 of 895 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A good hotel. Very well located. Great value for money. No views, but then most BKK city hotels don't have a view. Check-in was slightly discourteous. Check-out clinical as always. So this hotel also fails my "check-out acid test".

The staff is just what a 5-star hotel staff should be. Not an iota more. So can't compliment.

4 minute walk of Phloenchit BTS. You walk in the open for 2 minutes, and then slip into a building which is then connected to the BTS. Very helpful when raining.

The breakfast spread is mediocre with very slow and sloppy service.

The room is bare minimal and run down. One sad socket to charge phones. Bathroom not what shows in pictures. Concierge took 30 minutes to get luggage up.

Highly unstable wifi. Very irritating. Makes you log in every few minutes.

The rooms are cold. No warmth. Bad lighting. Green color tone is depressing. I had the junior suite which was good sized but never felt like I was at home. It felt like an airport lounge. Some place you want to get out of ASAP.

On checkout, I needed my luggage to be stored for a few hours, and also needed a larger taxi than usual, so I ended up talking to the concierge manager. This had to be the worst moment of my whole stay.

I would typically never take a name, but here I must say that Mr. Damrerng was an extremely rude person and he spoilt my mood to an extent that I would probably never return to this hotel.

Hotels make a grave mistake in mistreating people as they are leaving. They need to understand that this is the last thing they remember.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Faisal Q,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I would firstly like to take the time to apologise for the disappointments you have expressed in your review, we welcome all feedback as it is an important tool in helping us to maintain our standards so I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.
I am sorry for the shortfalls you experienced whilst checking out and with the breakfast selection and service you received. We strive to provide excellent customer care to all our guests and I am sorry we did not meet yours or our expectations and standards on this occasion. Regarding the rooms, for your information, we are currently undergoing soft refurbishments in our guest rooms. However, I am most concerned with the experience you faced whilst checking out, please be assured that this does not reflect our normal standard of service we are renowned for and I will be sure to review the issues raised with all our Front Office team to avoid a similar situation occurring.

Please allow me to express my apologies once more, I sincerely hope you do not judge up solely on this occasion and may reconsider staying with us in the future at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed October 23, 2012

stayed at this hotel instead of the Le Merdien because of the poor service issues. I must say the room left much to be desired. As a Platinum and Gold member we expected more from front desk. Had to call the manager as the front desk person was incompetent.

Hotel is dated so if you come please bear that in mind.

go for the Buffet dinner. it was an incredible value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear DCavidtraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay here at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. We highly appreciate your feedback as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and our hotel and its facilities.

It is of course with great concern that I learn of your disappointment with the rooms, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we will soon embark on a major renovation of our guestrooms to give it a more contemporary look. I am also sorry that you felt our associates were not efficient at the front desk; I will personally look into this matter to avoid a similar issue in the future. However, thank you for your comments on our buffet dinner. We are proud of the selection of food and quality that we provide.

May I thank you again for your comments, and I hope you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future here at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a hotel that aspires to be a five star but has a few shortcomings preventing it. Needless to say, the longer I stayed here (over a week in October 2012), the place and especially the location grew on me. Location is great, just a short walk to the Ploen Chit Skytrain station as well as several upscale shopping malls. There is a 24 hour convenience store just around the side. Service is efficient and friendly. Rooms are spacious with comfortable beds, good desk area and sufficient worldwide plug electrical outlets. Well-stocked with amenities (soaps, shaving kit, toothbrush, etc.) and other useful things (bathrobe, umbrella) as well as an excellent coffee machine and free packets of coffee for brewing. Internet access is free and quick and there is Wi-Fi in the lobby (as well as an ATM). The included breakfast is excellent with a wide choice of Western and Asian foods, fresh fruit and juices and an assortment of different breads and pastries. You can also ask for speciality coffee drinks (e.g., expresso) with breakfast for free. Minor complaints are that the exercise room is small (if you want to take a shower after working out bring slippers since none are provided) as is the pool. I found the room service food somewhat bland and portions small although it was delivered quickly after ordering (as was my laundry: gave it at 9 am and it was waiting for me on my bed when I returned at 5 pm). Also, make sure to allow plenty of time if taking a taxi as they are rarely waiting outside the hotel. Despite these few blemishes I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MrM1001

Dear MrM1001,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel on TripAdvsior.

Firstly, please let me apologise for the shortcomings you experienced whilst staying with us. I will personally endeavour to address the issues raised concerning the absence of slippers in the changing room. As for the room service you experienced, I have reviewed the issues raised with our Food and Beverage Manager.
However, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of our hotel during your stay. It is always gratifying to hear that the service from our associates was friendly and efficient I know my team will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Thank you as well for commenting on our breakfast selection, location and internet access.

We are grateful for your continued support and loyalty towards Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Location
In the business district, away from any tourism any tacky bars. Taxi was 60 baht to central locations. Nice and safe area, very few bars in walking distance except our own

Room
Lovely big bed. Large bathroom and lots of freebies

HINT
Become a SPG preferred guest - it's free a d it means u get a preferred guest room , free water and fruit daily. You can do this when booking the hotel

Huge selection of breakfast food- very good quality
Did not eat at night however full of locals and business people so must be good
Bar is lovely

Pool
Lovely to chill around after a long day walking- strong cocktails!

Extras:
Did not use spa- looked lovely but £££
All drinks etc were expensive compared to Bangkok but expected as a nice hotel and were of good quality

I'd stay again

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank LKLH173

Dear LKH24_7,

Thank you for posting a review following your stay at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that our guests enjoyed all aspects of our hotel during their stay with us. Your comments on the location of the hotel, the rooms and the facilities are greatly appreciated. We are continually upgrading and modifying areas of our hotel to try to improve the quality of our services for our guests and it is therefore wonderful to read that you were not disappointed whilst staying with us.

I would like to thank you again for your positive comments and we hope to see you soon at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

After staying there for so many years there are no surprises. You always expect and get impeccable service, a terrific breakfast buffet and friendly people. The location close to the sky train and all major shopping malls makes is easy to spend money. The hotel pool is very inviting and service on the terrace is excellent. I highly recommend the Thai restaurant on the third floor which offers authentic Thai food and impeccable service.
I would recommend it anytime.

Room Tip: start at the 24th floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Arthur M
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear cruzanmon,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor following your stay at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Thank you for commenting on the facilities of our hotel, I am very pleased you were able to experience our wonderful lagoon pool and you found the breakfast selection terrific. I am glad to hear that the quality of the service from associates was excellent throughout your stay. Your compliments have been passed on to the team to recognize their efforts and to keep everyone working at the high standard we are well known for.

I would like to thank you again for your feedback and your ongoing support at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Choo Leng Goh

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 nights stay at this lovely hotel particularly as it brought back many happy memories when we stayed in 2007 (after we got married). Overall the standards set by the hotel met our expectations and in particular the Le Royal Club Lounge proved to be a magnet for both of us. The ambiance / service / Food & Beverage was as good as what we have experienced throughout our recent travels. Special mention must be given to Ms. Suchada Khemtharonon (Front Office Manager) as she made our stay very special (our 5th Wedding Anniversary) however we would like to pass on our thanks to all staff members who looked after us so well. Hopefully senior management who will read this review will ensure that these comments are passed on to the respective staff members. Thank you.

Room Tip: High Floor have better view of Bangkok Skyline.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BLUEWONDER1
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear BLUEWONDER1,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

It is a great pleasure to learn that our facilities and service have met your expectation. I am overjoyed to hear that your recent stay for your 5th Wedding Anniversary brought back good memories of your previous visit with us. I have shared your comments to my colleagues especially Khun Suchada Khemtharonon who you have so kindly singled out for providing finest service. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Thank you once again for your warming review and your ongoing support and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel soon.

ChooLeng Goh

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying for the second time at Plaza Athenee for a couple of weeks. Having almost forgotten what friendly (but not creepy) service is like, I enjoyed every minute in the Executive lounge. In addition to the overall excellent treatment, I was everyday offered special food due to different food allergies.
The room is very fine, but not very different from other good hotels. Pillows are excellent, by the way.
The French restaurant with German chef provided us one of the best meals ever - with a surprise menu fully demonstrating the competences of both chef and sommelier.
I will be back in November - already looking forward.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear bjornb7,

Thank you for posting your kind comments on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am very pleased to read the high praise you gave our team for the friendly + attentive service they provided in various areas. I’m sure our associates will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

Once again, thank you for your review, my staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in November.

ChooLeng Goh