“No doubt, the best fivestar hotel in Bangkok!”

The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have stayed at nearly every fivestar in Bangkok before but I decided to check this hotel back in December at the beginning of my trip. I had a great time and honestly, I have never experienced such a great service, hospitality and friendliness on any hotel before. I returned back in January, there was some wedding going on which was a quite interesting sight for me as I haven't seen a wedding in a hotel before.

In-room dining was excellent had both soups and steaks, both were perfect.
I had booked the 'Theme Suite' for both my stays, but they had four different ones so they gave me a chance to pick the one which I liked the most. I would recommend the 'Royal Pimari Suite' it's modern and not so old looking like the rest.

This is without a doubt my favorite hotel in Thailand and I would return here on every trip.

Room Tip: If you're after a theme suite I would recommend the 'Royal Pimari Suite' on 27th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Pokerstah
There are newer reviews for The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Our stay at Plaza Athenee was a wonderfully indulgent experience. Staff were exceptional and extremely polite. I enjoyed every minute of our stay. Room, bed, food, service were great. Centrally located so easy access to transport, shops and restaurants. For what we got, I felt this was also a good value stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I spent a few nights here as I wanted to try a new area of Bangkok and hadn't stayed on Wireless before. It's a quiet location: ten minutes by taxi to MBK/Siam and a similar time to Silom Road.

The hotel is as you would expect from an international hotel; but with excellent service standard. The Starwood Preferred Guest floors were clean, the rooms large and well-equipped. Unusually for BKK there is a decent pool area (fourth floor, with a large garden) that you can actually sunbathe around, and it gets the sun all day as the surrounding buildings are not too tall.

The Club Lounge on the 26th floor is very luxurious and may be worth considering paying extra for: the happy hour drinks and snacks were delightful.

The only issue I had was with the Business Centre, which was closed on a Sunday and closed early (at 16.00!) unannounced on another day. Strange for a business hotel... but the staff opened it for me on one occasion, and gave me internat access elsewhere on another. Fantastic service.

The breakfast was exemplary: a HUGE buffet with everything you could ever want: egg station, noodle station, waffles, pancakes, all the fruit/bread/pastries/juices etc you could ever want. It's a stand-out breakfast even in the context of BKK five star hotels.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EmPalmer
Reviewed January 9, 2012

In total, we had 17 pax residing @ Plaza Athenee. All of us checked into Plaza Athenee on Dec 16 for a night's stay. We were well received by the hotel staff and were very impressed by the greetings. Checkin procedures were done very systematically and professionally. While awaiting for our guest room keys, the complete group was well taken care too. Service level from Plaza Athenee was FANTASTIC. The group dined at Reflexions, the famous and authentic French restaurant. The appetiizers was uniquely presented and tasted GREAT. Most of us had steak and it was well prepared. A toast to the Chef who had arranged a fabulous french cuisine on night of Dec 17. We would like to give the Chef fm Reflexions a BIG APPLAUSE for his fantastic french culinary skills. We would very much loved to visit Reflexion again if we ever make a trip to Thailand. Breakfast counters were great too with a variety of food selections range from International to Local. Hotel staff were very friendly that we felt very welcomed. Location wise was good too. You may either commute via MTR which is just a 5 mins walk way. On behalf of the group of 17, we would love to be back again this year end 2012! Thanks again to all staff of Plaza Athenee while we were there.

Room Tip: In fact all guest rooms were very well equipped.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Service - Generally fast and polite.
Value - Superb value for SPG Platinums - the complimentary high tea in the royal club lounge was not bad; didn't try the cocktail hour but it should be even better; breakfast in the restaurant on the ground floor was fantastic in terms of both range of choices and quality.
Sleep - Comfy bed and pillows. No noise at night.
Cleanliness - No complaints there.
Location - About 5 minutes walk to Ploen Chit BTS station.
Rooms - No suite, but got upgraded to a Royal Club room. Large and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
ChooLeng_Goh, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2012

Dear davidlok,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the afternoon tea served at the Club Lounge as well as the breakfast at our restaurant. It was encouraging to learn that you appreciate the comfort in your room with our signature Le Méridien bed. Once again, thank you for your kind comments we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Kind Regards,

ChooLeng Goh

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Plaza Athenee bangkok has very service-minded personel with detailed mind. From once you enter the hotel or even go down on the elevator.
The outdoor pool is large and has space for most of the guests. Yet very relaxing in the middle of busy city. Location is very well as 200 meter from BTS station, the traffic can be bad on wireless if you travel with taxi on the weekday.
all in all this is one of the top hotel in Bangkok, maybe fits best with business travellers.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights of our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a suite and were not asked to provide our wedding certificate. The room we were upgraded to was on their starwood members floor so I'd recommend joining up before you leave home (its free).

The room was lovely, but watch out the mini bar is very pricey.

We ate in the thai restaurant and it was absolutely superb. Again pricey for Bangkok 5* hotels, but still worth a visit.

Breakfast was the best spread I have ever seen and was included in the price of the room. Honestly it is worth staying at this hotel for the breakfast. It offered British, America, Thai, Chinese and a lot more. I would recommend giving yourself at least an hour for the experience.

I had a thai massage at the hotel which was very good, but I was dissapointed that it didn't involve any stretching and the surroundings didn't really match the high price. I'd give it a miss.

You must make sure you take the time to visit the swimming pool as it is one of the best in Bangkok.

As mentioned in other reviews the sky train is a 2 minute walk and extremely easy to use - puts us European's to shame. There is a great shopping mall called Centre two blocks away and it is well worth a visit. It has a huge number of restaurants at very reasonable prices, so if you are not a millionaire I'd say you have to experience dinner at least once at the hotel, but the mall provides a huge variety for the other nights.

The Sky bar is located just behind the shopping mall and offers incredible views across Bangkok. The prices at the Sky bar for drinks were half of that at the hotel, so I would recommend just going to the Sky bar. Another money saving tip is that when you leave the hotel, head to the right and you'll find a 7 11 Mini mart where you can stock up on wine, crisps, juice etc.

I'd recommend booking your transfer to and from the airport via the official airport limo service as it was half the price the hotel offered and was perfectly adequate - seat belts, air con and water.

Room Tip: Join the starwood programme and email them your confirmation number in advance of your stay
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple