I stayed this time with my wife and my parents-in-law for a sightseeing trip in the Royal Orchid Sheraton.
The Royal Orchid Sheraton is mainly occupied from tourist groups. People who are visiting Thailand the first time will enjoy it, especially Chinese people will find here a perfect place for socializing with their fellows. They really will feel home. The few Europeans are bringing their European habits to this place, like reserving the sunloungers at the pool early in the mooring with towels.
The service in the exclusive lounge is very friendly and kind. They are excellent waitresses and are trying to host you in the best way. Unfortunately they are not really skilled in other things, which is not helpful when you are coming to Bangkok for other reason then holidays, or like to get something else then serving drinks professional handled. As an example, during the checkin they did not realize that we had booked one room including breakfast and denied that request. I needed to prove that with my booking confirmation. Only after that, they agreed that the breakfast is included. Or another example, I ordered a limousine service to the airport for a party of four with a lot of luggage. They confirmed first a Toyota Camry, then they offered a BMW! Only after double-checking I got a 7 seater!
The swimming pool is excellent and has a perfect and very friendly service. The drinks and food quality is outstanding.
The Thai restaurant in the hotel is a very nice decorated. They have a good and warm atmosphere and a nice show. The Thai white wine is worth to try and fits very good to Thai food. The cooking is very good, but even when you order spicy, you get very mild food. I am still wondering that are not able to serve fresh fish on this price level. It is impossible to invite your Thai friends in this restaurant, but if you coming the first time to Thailand it is an excellent introduction to Thai cuisine and culture.
The breakfast buffet is comparable to other 4 star hotels, You do not feel any willing to offer something impressive. Things which Germans enjoy, like smoked salmon, gammon, boiled ham, salami, or a good cheese selection are completely missing. I recommend that the F&B manager enjoy one day the breakfast at the Bangkok Westin Hotel. There he could learn, how to impress guests with a good quality. Offering a good breakfast is normally not much more expensive for a hotel. It is only a question of willing to make it. But it seems that the goals of this hotel management are different. It is explainable when you focusing on guests, which are coming only once.
Turndown service is available on request, but mostly only on request. Items like notepads, or laundry bags are not refilled after using.
The suites are furnished in the old seventies Sheraton style and have a tiny and very dark bathroom, which is equipped with the cheapest basic Sheraton amenities. I recommend to take your own shampoo and body lotion, if you take care for your skin. The lighting system is extremely complicated to use and really disturbing. Compared to the other Starwood Hotels in Bangkok the suites are extremely poor equipped. Items, like sewing kit, umbrellas and shopping bags are completely missing. Even the suites in the aLoft and 4 Points Sheraton in Bangkok are much better equipped and their is no comparison to the other Starwood facilities in Bangkok, like Plaza Athenee, Le Meridien or W Hotel.
With the hotel’s focus on tourist groups, it is understandable that platinum members get only very poor benefits. With my experiences from former stays in this hotel, I know that you never get a suite upgrade as platinum member and used therefore my suite nights awards for this stay. In that case you get a suite in the eleventh floor, which includes a free wake up service from the noise of the traffic on the river, starting at 6:30 am. Reaching the lounge from this floor is so time consuming, because you have to change the elevators, that you prefer not to use the lounge. It is not tragic, because my little experiences with the lounge had not been really pleasant. Benefits, like using the using the 500 Points welcome gift for breakfast are not available in this hotel, although they are promoted in the SPG program as a standard. I got it this time as an exception, only because my parents-in-law had a booking which includes breakfast in the main restaurant. It seemed to be a big issue for the hotel to make it, but finally they understood, that we would prefer to enjoy our breakfast together. There is no welcome letter in the room, or a small gift, like chocolate, which you normally get in other Starwood hotels. This is not a big thing, but it shows how much they are interesting in making you coming back, even this is my 5th or 6th stay in this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the legendary Chao Phraya River with exquisite views, we offer a pleasant combination of warm Thai hospitality and world-class service in a modern setting just minutes from Bangkok's business districts, entertainment, and attractions. Enjoy the refined style and modern comforts of a relaxing riverside hotel. Take time out at our two pools or book a spa treatment, discover exciting cuisine in our restaurants and bars, or experience memorable events in 22 unrivaled function rooms. All 726 of our spacious guest rooms and suites boast spectacular panoramic river views. Revel in the warm, calming, and contemporary ambiance of these well-appointed accommodations with a subtle Thai style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Splitty, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel And Towers
- Sheraton Royal Orchid
- Sheraton Bangkok
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok
- Bangkok Sheraton