We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton for 4 night at the end of our honeymoon. The hotel faces onto the river and our 22nd floor room had very impressive views. You could spend all day looking at books going up and down the river.
The room is very modern in presentation, much like any hotel room in europe or the US in fact. The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble and tastefully finished.
After being shown to our room by the clerk, we do what we normally do - explore our surroundings. Sadly, apart from the River Island shopping centre (don't bother, it's largely devoid of anything interesting), there is literally nothing within walking distance from the hotel. Your options are taxi, river boat (or taxi boat) or the sky train. The concierge will keep you right about how to get to your desired destination.
We took a taxi to the MBK shopping centre and it's ok if you like cheap bargains. For something very special, go to the Siam centres nearby. These are massive shopping centres, wear comfortable walking shoes. :)
We also took the river boat to the Grand palace (about 15 - 20 minutes up the river) and then tried to walk to Wat Pho (reclining buddha) but this was closed due to a Buddhist festival that day. Do check with the hotel concierge before heading out.
The hotel itself has plenty of restaurants inside. We did try the grill on the ground floor over looking the river (I forget the name) and it was nice, the italian on the 1st floor lobby which was equally nice and the thai restaurant also on the first floor which was amazing and an experience. Be warned though, these restaurants do shut at 10pm so late diners beware.
The bar in the lobby provides beautiful cocktails delivered by exceptionally presented waitresses. There was entertainment every night including a group called the Bangkok Beatles, a cover band recreating the fab four's best hits. Definitely worth your time to watch.
Free wifi is available for guests in the lobby but sadly not in the rooms. If you however sign in in the lobby just before going up to your room, you will get a free hour at least.
All in all, this is a huge but beautifully presented hotel with all that most could want inside. Ok, there's very little within walking distances but that's more a symptom of how spread out and vast Bangkok itself is. A taxi journey however is very cheap, just don't let them take you to someplace you don't want to go (e.g. suit or jewellery shops)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the legendary Chao Phraya River with exquisite views, we offer a pleasant combination of warm Thai hospitality and world-class service in a modern setting just minutes from Bangkok's business districts, entertainment, and attractions.Enjoy the refined style and modern comforts of a relaxing riverside hotel. Take time out at our two pools or book a spa treatment, discover exciting cuisine in our six restaurants and bars, or experience memorable events in 22 unrivaled function rooms.All 726 of our spacious guest rooms and suites boast spectacular panoramic river views. Revel in the warm, calming, and contemporary ambiance of these well-appointed accommodations, featuring subtle Thai style and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper™ Bed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelsClick so you can book your Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel And Towers
- Sheraton Royal Orchid
- Sheraton Bangkok
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok
- Bangkok Sheraton