“Delux river view room - really poor”

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Ranked #72 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We are currently sitting in the bar of this hotel and felt moved to right a review. Following 3 lovely nights at the Kowloon Shangrila in Hong Kong, we are here for 2 nights before moving on to the Centara Grand in Hua Hin. The public areas of the hotel are fine, not marvellous but not dreadful and the bar, concierge and reception staff have all been extremely pleasant and helpful.

However, our room is awful....having paid for a deluxe river view, we do have a limited river view (huge green roof in the way) but the room is very, very far from deluxe! Tatty old veneered furniture, with scratches and dings all over it. Bedside tables and shelf headboard were covered in dust when we arrived. Bathroom was fine and clean but lacking luxurious touches......no bath robes and wifi is at a price but free for 1 hour in the reception/lobby area.

Breakfast (Sunday) the service was poor, arriving at 10:10am (breakfast ends at 10:30) we were immediately told that breakfast ends at 10:30 and got the impression that the staff were desperate to start setting up for the Sunday brunch, starting at 11.

All in all we will be happy to leave tomorrow and hope the Centara in Hua Hin is more like the Kowloon Shargrila.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Claire D, Online Marketing Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear phillipsmist,

I sincerely regret that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as it enables us to improve our services and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. We have taken note of your recommendations for our improvement and thank you again for your feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to make this up to you in the future, should you decide to return to Bangkok.

There are newer reviews for Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before travelling to Hua Hin for in Southern Thailand on the first country stop of our round the world honeymoon. Fantastic hotel, extremely friendly staff, and great location! The hotel was a quick and cheap transfer from airport and on arrival at the hotel we were greeted in a very welcoming manor. There is a trip organiser in the hotel whom organised for us to see a show, we also visited the Royal Thai place and the famous shopping centres.

The hotel is located on the river and the boat is the best way to travel long distances around Bangkok i.e. to the place which is a 20 min boat ride and really cheap. The food in the hotel is above average and we would recommend the thai restaurant.

View from the room was excellent and would suggest booking a deluxe river view room on a high floor as we did. Thye even made us a nice cake for honeymoon as a surprise when we arrived home one night from a busy day in Bangkok centre, Nice Touch :-) also would suggest the hotel private car if your are going on to Hua Hin like we were as int is 2 hours away and comfort is important i.e. aircon.

On the whole there is not anything we can really say bad about this place and when we return to Thailand we probaly would stop here again or the Hilton directly over the water no difference really.

Room Tip: Book a riverview room on a high floor!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Claire D, Online Marketing Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear CaptainCook2,

It was a real pleasure reading your positive feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for praising our associates positive attitude. We like to make our guests feel special and offering a cake for your honeymoon is one of our ways to say thank you for choosing us in being part of your celebration. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Thailand.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our sixth visit to the Orchid Sheraton, every room looks over the river, most comfortable rooms, eating and drinking quite expensive as this is a business hotel. Two superb swimming pools with many sun loungers and excellent towels. It would be helpful if you have a degree in lighting technology so that you may negotiate the room lighting controls, this is a situation we encounter in many hotels in the far east, far too complicated.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brian b
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Yes, it is rather expensive, but quality and service are top-notch. When we arrived, a personal bellhop escorted us to the room, with such a hospitable and professional manner that we felt like royalty. Everything in the room was perfect; the view was unbeatable. They provided a wonderful cake for my wife's birthday. Their private dock is not unusual, but their ferry is one of the most comfortable. Yet the ferry is necessary, as the hotel is otherwise is a difficult location. We also took advantage of their tour desk for a well-run day tour.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Claire D, Online Marketing Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Jeffrey T,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your recent stay in Bangkok. I enjoyed reading your feedback and am glad you had a great stay with us. Indeed, our complimentary shuttle boat receives many praises for the service and also design of the boat. I am glad you found our services top notch and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here with our family in April of 2013. Would I stay here again? Yes. Would I recommend this hotel to friends? YesWe were upgraded to a suite on the Club/Executive Floor, which was nice, since it had a full and a half bath as well as a separate sitting area. We had a lovely view of the Chao Praya River from our room. It was comfortable and spacious. Club access meant a free happy hour with hot and cold snacks for two hours each evening. The breakfast buffet was very good, with a good selection of Western and Asian foods. The staff was incredibly helpful and kind in all areas of the hotel.

There are two pools…one for adults and one for families. They are not large, but are okay. There aren’t a lot of pool chairs at the family pool. The gym was well equipped, but again, for such a large hotel, a small size and every time I went, I had to wait for a treadmill or elliptical. There is a shuttle boat dedicated to Sheraton guests to take them up and down the river to other boat jetties.

The chilled face cloths and water provided on these Sheraton shuttle boats were a nice touch. There are also many restaurants and massage establishments within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the executive floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ToonTowner

Dear ToonTowner,

It was great to read your detailed feedback for your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your upgraded suite as well as the facilities of the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and wish you all the best in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

If I could negative stars I would! My stay started by an easy check-in to drop off my bag then weny out for a few hours to see a friend. Traffic was horrible in the area and it took me almost 2 hours to get back from Sukhumvit. I arrived sweaty and exhausted just wanting a shower and sleep.

Oops the card key does not work. Call from the hallway phone and explain but front desk informs me "nobody is checked in that room". I still bad the key card cover with room number on it so know I am right about number. She refuses to send anybody up to help amd tells me to come to lobby to check my room number.

I go down and show her the key card cover with the room number on it but she does not care. Computer says nobody checked in so that means nobody is checked in. She calls somebody on phone to check and has nerve to tell that person I was confused about what my room number is! She did not know I speak Thai so I just listened. When she finished her call I told her she was wrong and I was right. If she would just send somebody to room they would see my bags inside. Whao! She got confused about my bags being inside because she never believed me for one second until then. I suggest she do the obvious thing and check my name to see what room the computer says I am in. She quickly asks for my ID. Never polite always cold and professionally mechanical. I give her my ID and she checks computer. With no change of expression she says I am in the room number I have been telling her. She makes new keys and gives them to me. No apologies at all. Just wasted 30 minutes at the end of a very exhausting day... Welcome to Sheraton!

During the few days there a numbet of our group get sick from food. One so bad she needed to see a doctor.

On the last day I was looking forward to a sleep in before going to airport. No such luck. 8am mini bar check on a Saturday morning! Are they crazy?

Overall the hotel looks nice. The beds are comfy but the pillows suck. River is nice to look at but the location bad for getting around. Would never stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank stevenbkk

Dear stevenbkk,

First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience you encountered. Of course, this is not the standards of services we pride ourselves in delivering to our guests and have already taken note of your recommendations. I appreciate your feedback as this enables us to improve our services and would be grateful if you could reach out to us at assistant.rosh@sheraton.com to collect more information in order for us to implement the appropriate course of actions.
Once again, please accept my apologies. I truly regret the shortfalls you encountered and hope to have the opportunity to make this up to you.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during April 2013 on our first ever visit to Bangkok as a stop over on our way to Koh Samui to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and were absolutely delighted with our choice! Arrived mid afternoon after the long overnight flight from London and were greeted with the friendliest and most efficient staff, and check in took only 2 minutes and we were directed to our room which was perfect in every way with amazing views of the river, huge comfy bed, large bathroom and all spotlessly clean and well maintained, also pleased with the 'in room' coffee maker which is so often not available in hotels these days! Used the Simbal bar and restaurant several times during our stay had dinner in the onsite traditional Thai restaurant one evening and were very satisfied with all aspects, service, ambience, quality of food, overall value was excellent.
We were very surprised and thrilled to receive a celebration 'Happy Honeymoon' cake delivered to our room on our first evening, OK it was slightly wrong as it was actually our anniversary but what a lovely gesture!
Well impressed with the huge breakfast offer which was included in our room rate.
Used the swimming pool on 2 of the afternoons we were in Bangkok, very relaxing with friendly and efficient staff, cant think of a better way to spend the afternoon after a very hot morning seeing the sights of Bangkok, than relaxing overlooking the Chao Phraya river with a couple of cold Chang beers!
Hotel also has its own ferry boat which offers regular, complimentary transfers to the nearby Skytrain station making access to virtually anywhere in Bangkok very simple! There is also a public ferry service pier less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel making it very easy to visit the main sightseeing destinations in the city!
Had a very enjoyable stay in Royal Orchid Sheraton and would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone looking for a central hotel in Bangkok with wonderful facilities and service, absolutely a 5 star without doubt, would return again tomorrow if we could!

Stayed: April 2013