Five stars may be a bit generous for this older 4-star hotel, but I'm giving it this rating so that other tourists might understand the attractiveness of this lodging option.
First, Bangkok is a difficult city for travellers, and you MUST factor in location in choosing your hotel. For tourists, I think the Royal Orchid is extremely well located. Traffic is horrific in Bangkok, so you need a way to get around. The Royal Orchid is right on the river, with a luxury free private boat to the Skytrain station every half hour. Admittedly, this connection is a bit time-consuming, but it's a very pleasant transport option to "downtown," and better than other alternatives at peak times (like a taxi).
The hotel is also a stop on the river ferry, which will take you to many of the major tourist attractions, like the Royal Palace. It's a pitty that the ferry is poorly run; boats are far less frequent than you'd expect (we waited, on average, 20 minutes for a boat), they're crowded, and service stops early in the evening. But it's still the best transport option in town if you're destination is along the river. It's also very scenic.
We also greatly enjoyed our river view from the hotel. Ask for a high floor. Very peaceful and beautiful, in a city a little short of peace and beauty.
The hotel itself is a little old, but still in excellent condition. Our room was modern and well equipped. Beds are harder than in the West, but still very comfortable (and much softer than what you'd find in a non-Western hotel in Asia). Helpful and pleasant staff. I highly recommend a swim in the hotel's "garden pool," which is a bit hidden. A resort-quality pool area.
Hotel is also a short taxi ride from the main train station.
We stayed on the "cash & points" rate from the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program. A great deal if you're a participant in that program.
Consider a meal at the Ruen Urai restaurant, a short taxi ride away. Peaceful and delicious Thai food in a garden setting. Not many good dining options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, except their own expensive options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the legendary Chao Phraya River with exquisite views, we offer a pleasant combination of warm Thai hospitality and world-class service in a modern setting just minutes from Bangkok's business districts, entertainment, and attractions.Enjoy the refined style and modern comforts of a relaxing riverside hotel. Take time out at our two pools or book a spa treatment, discover exciting cuisine in our six restaurants and bars, or experience memorable events in 22 unrivaled function rooms.All 726 of our spacious guest rooms and suites boast spectacular panoramic river views. Revel in the warm, calming, and contemporary ambiance of these well-appointed accommodations, featuring subtle Thai style and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper™ Bed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Starwood APAC, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel And Towers
- Sheraton Royal Orchid
- Sheraton Bangkok
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok
- Bangkok Sheraton