Astera Sathorn
Good 3.5/5
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
All reviewssaphan taksin stationswimming poolthe riverinstant coffeerecommend this hotelbusy roadbeds were comfortablethai dishesgood sizethe bell boyfree wififloating marketfitness centerairport transferlocation is greatdefinitely stay here againgrand palace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed at Astera Sathorn Hotel in February 2013 for 14 nights. I wrote a review in Trip Advisor for this hotel dated 10/03/13 following our stay last year in which the main favourable point was its location. I gave it a score of 4 out of 5, said likely we would return, and so we did!
This time I booked through the same on line website, for a stay of 11 nights. Last year, on booking in, we were upgraded to Room 601 – a most comfortable room. But when I emailed in August 2013 and asked to be booked into Room 601, I was advised that 601 was a Deluxe room and I would require paying extra. I elected not to pay extra and let the booking stand.
Bad things came in the course of our recent stay on level 6 in Room 606 – the room we were given on our arrival.
Firstly there was the mini bar fridge. The ice tray compartment had no ice tray and no ice. Nothing unusual and par for the course at other hotels we have stayed at in S.E. Asia. On our first night, at about 7 PM, my wife went to reception and asked for some ice (she enjoys a rum and coke before bedtime).She was told ice was available at a cost of 35 BHT. So she asked for an ice tray so she could set ice in an ice tray from then on. The doorman on duty said no ice tray was available. Now this is ridiculous. Always elsewhere ice is delivered to our room without any charge on request. Not to be beaten, we bought an ice tray the next day.
Having settled in with unpacking done, we noticed 606 was 2 rooms away from the 2 lifts, from where the lift chime would sound. The chime could be heard in our bedroom, even worse in the bathroom. Those chimes rang persistently, no matter the hour, but worse when coach passengers arrived late at night and departed early of a morning.
Now management surely must know this is a problem, particularly when the stay is for 11 nights. We decided not to complain.
So much for our room location but Room 605 must be worse since it was next to the lifts.
I move now to mention the Free Wi-Fi. Yes, it was available but most times not, especially on Sundays. I resorted to trying for connectivity for my laptop in the early morning hours, but no luck.
Adjacent is a high rise under construction. No noise from there, but stagnant rain water, allowed to pond at an adjacent cleared building site allows for mosquitoes to breed (and there were mosquitoes).
Next is the breakfast. It was a good breakfast, but it catered mainly for Asians. Thank goodness for the egg station – omelettes, fried eggs, French toast. No complaints there, but some of the dishes required to be kept heated. So every so often one of the staff would check, only to find the flame had extinguished and needed refuelling. To me this seems to be antiquated. Surely a more modern/more efficient method of keeping food trays hot can be found.
We found the staff to be all so wonderful. The doormen on duty, the coffee lady, the reception staff, and the staff at the breakfast room are so friendly and so helpful. We just can’t speak highly enough of them.
Concluding, best of all is the location, with its proximity to Saphan Taksin BTS Station and Sathorn Pier.
Hopefully we will be back in Bang Rak area, Bangkok next year; however we won’t be staying at Astera Sathorn.

P.S. I did Email a draft of this review “to the owner/manager of this hotel” advising of my intention to list it in the hotel’s review section, inviting a response, but no reply after a week went by..

Room Tip: When you book, request a room well away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith041
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The staff are very helpful. They are hardworking and keep things clean. I have no complaints. The hotel is a 5 min walk to BTS and river taxis. Any directions you need and the staff will help. Just be aware that the area is run down but its safe. Vendors are the same 5 min walk away and 7-11 is about 6 mins. The tour desk guys were very helpful and gave me good advise. I took in the Calypso Cabaret and they told me how to skip the lines to get to Asiatique. Good advice! The rooms are clean and neat. Housekeeping does a good job, but the hallways need some attention. Also the water pressure is not good, so be aware that filling a bath is a long process and so is showering.

The bed was comfortable. You can't sit outside on the balcony, but you open the door. There was construction next door, but I left before they started and came back after they left, so no biggie.

There is a safe to hold your belongings, and free wifi that was more than adequate. Inhouse laundry takes 2 days to get back, but you can go to the lady down 2 alleys and she can do it for 220 baht, which seems steep (what price clean clothes), but what can you do?

You can get an inroom massage for very little baht, but I never tried it. I prefered to walk until my feet hurt and then stop for a foot massage. You can get your room with breakfast, and I thinks its 100baht extra which isnt much $3 CAD, but 270baht if you want it alone. The breakfast was buffet, with all the usual western stuff, but with Thai twists, like cocktail weenies with fried rice, cabbage and onion with salad dressing, eggs cooked in curry sauce. The omelet was good. The coffee is small and really really strong. Thais like things small and strong.

The streets are very crowded with street vendors and traffic, but the hotel is nice and quiet. I always felt safe. And security is excellent at this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have pool views, but 101 seems to be a pool room, the door leads out to the pool. 102, 103 and 104 are just on pool level.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The area does appear to be a bit run down but we felt perfectly safe out. great to be near the pier for the river taxis. The hotel was clean, pleasant as were the staff. The rooms were of a good size, and after being out at night four of us would have a game of cards and a nightcap without feeling cramped. there was no noise issues and the bed was really comfortable. We were so intent in trying to see as much as we could of bangkok that we did not get to use the facilities like the pool or gym and we did not have breakfast included in our deal. we did use the hotel to book some excursions and taxis as we found their prices competative. Would stay again

Room Tip: we were on a higher floor . I liked the fact that you have to swipe your card to get acess to the lifts as it gave a secure feeling. safes are in the room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
asterasathorn, ผู้อำนวยการฝ่ายขาย at Astera Sathorn, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Thank you for your review, we glad that you like Astera Sathorn Hotel.

Please come back again next time.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Cockroaches. We had to chase down at least 10 quite large cockroaches before we went to bed tonight. And we could not get another room because they were fully booked. This is sad because the staff has been very sweet and helpful otherwise.

Travelling with 3 children makes some features more important. Like staying at a hotel with swimmingpool. So the disapointment was a obvious when we checked in and was informed that the pool was closed this day due to a private party.

Besides these two large negatives we must say that the rooms look fine and the surroundings are better than you first think. Lots of street food, very close to Sky Train and river boats. Reasonable pricing.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ulf D

Sorry for late reply& Thank you for your complain.

We're apologized for your inconvenience and we promise that we will improve our service and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

If you want a 3 star hotel near sky train Saphan Taksin and close to river this may be for you.Prices aare around 1200-1300 baht including buffet breakfast.The hotel has nice clean rooms, nice pool , good gym and free internet which always works. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is easy walking distance from sky train and the yellow building can be seen on left on arriving to the sky train station.
The area is good because has many good restaurants and easy access to river tours or general river services.
Avoid the trouts offering you tours near the sky train and tut tut operators.Many stores selling gems and semi precious stones in this area but I have no idea if the prices are good..
Downside with the hotel was after a few weeks the breakfast was boring with the same selections each day.
Probably another downside is that the hotel has no restaurant but there are many restaurants in the near neighbourhood

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on same level to pool if you want to use the pool sauna on a regular basis but other than that all rooms nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank frank l

Thank you for your great review !

We pleased that you can give many good reasons so that, why you choose our hotel.

Anytime you visit BKK. Please visit Astera Sathorn !