“Great Location and Good Value”
Review of Astera Sathorn

Astera Sathorn
Ranked #305 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location and Good Value”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Astera hotel is located 1 block away from the canal boat and the Sathorn Train Station so it makes an excellent base for exploring Bangkok.

The rooms are basic but are clean, modern and have A/C, TV, fridge, safe, kettle and complimentary bottled water, tea, coffee and snacks. The staff are friendly and very accomodating toward guest needs. Beds are a bit hard, but tolerable.

We paid $5.00 extra for the breakfast (booked through Agoda) and thought it was an good deal. Choice of eggs done any way, fresh fruit, cereal, hot foods such as french toast, pancake, bacon/sausage, etc. and breads. Nice assortment to suite any taste.

Room Tip: The Hotel does not have signage if walking from the train station, therefore you could walk past it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wendy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

As most the reviews say the hotel is a little tired but it is clean, the pool is nice and the staff are so helpful. Great customer service makes all the difference in this hotel and they will go out of their way to help. They played with our 8 month old daughter endlessly and when another hotel reservation let us down one member of staff let me use her mobile for free to call other hotels. Great value for money and the location is great for the metro and skytrain and the ferries to a lot of the top tourist spots. If you are looking for something comfortable without spending too much this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Astera in January 2013, and enjoyed my stay. Although the hotel is aging, my room was clean and of a good size. The staff were excellent. Since I am an older woman travelling alone and had never been to Bangkok, I decided to request an airport pickup and am glad that I did. I felt that I was in good and safe hands to get from the airport to the hotel, and was pleased not to have to worry about finding the hotel by myself very late at night. The location is excellent - just about two blocks from the river and the skytrain station. I didn't eat at the hotel because I wanted to experience real Bangkok food as opposed to hotel food, but the restaurant appeared pleasant and clean. I also didn't use the hotel facilities such as swimming pool and work-out room, so cannot comment on them. The only downside to my stay was that there was not a steady supply of hot water, and on two of the three days my shower was cool as opposed to hot. Given the heat and humidity in Bangkok, I really didn't mind taking a cool shower, but if you want to be guaranteed of hot water I suggest not staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dallie_S_13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I stay here many times and it never disappoints. The location is great and the staff are always really friendly. The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect for Bangkok Skytrain and Riverboat services. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and when I return to Bangkok next year I will stay here once again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nsaul123
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights & then paid for the 4th night whilst there.

I think this is a REALLY good hotel for someone first arriving in bangkok, like myself.

I paid for an airport pickup, which admittedly was a hefty 1000 baht. But it was worth it for a nice vehicle, polite driver who was patient in waiting for me for an hour at the airport!

The service provided to me at the hotel was very good and despite them having a "tour guide counter" they didn't once try to push a tour on me - in my opinion this is a good sign of good accommodation in bangkok.

The rooms themselves were of very good quality & were very clean & bright. However, there were a fair few very small ants on the floor. I didn't get any bites & they seemed to stay on the floor. A gecko also shared the room. Given the rest of the place, I didn't let this bother me.

It is also a 5 min walk from the BTS station, which is very handy & surprisingly easy to use & 7 mins from the central ferry point. This is great because it means you can go to the old city on the ferry as well as the new city on the BTS. (The ferry drops you off right outside the grand palace)

The staff always greeted me with a smile.

Highly recommend. However, not much night life there if that is what you are looking for.

(Ps, the road nearby is a bit mental, I always stood and waited until a local chose to cross & I'd suggest you do too if it your first visit or you will get run over)

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Sergyhunt
Khanom, Thailand
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel is far from being new, you can spot the age on the walls, floors, elevators. Nothing one can't leave with for a few days. The rooms, though, have been renovated and they look nice and
The room has a safety box, large cabinets, plasma tv, hair dryer, water boiler. The mini bar is filled every day with snacks, instant coffee, water, Sprite and Chang beer.
The breakfast is basic but decent. Not a lot of choices for those looking for a Western type of breakfast but coffee is good and omlet as well.
There's a pool on the second floor, also a steam room. Haven't tried them, though. The pool looked clean but quite small.
The most important thing about the hotel, though, is the location. It takes two minutes to the Sapan Taksin BTS station and four minutes to the pier. Using these you can practically go anywhere in the city and you can forget about taxi meters or tuk tuk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Elenakiko
sutton
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have stayed here also couple of times.
My wife likes it better than Win Long Place.

The Rooms are Comfortable .
There is a wide choice of Breakfast.
there is also a very helpful desk where you can book trips.#
I CAN RECOMMEND THE BOAT TRIP AT NIGHT.
You are taken to the boat and brought home again./

itb is not far from Main shopping centre and train Station
There is a Porter in reception a lovely man always has a smiley face

Room Tip: Give it a go . Dont think you will be disapointed
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple