“Stay elsewhere”

Ranked #17 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“Stay elsewhere”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

After the protests in Thailand, one would assume that hotel staff would try to ensure their guests have a pleasant stay since the decline in tourism and business. However, after travelling to Thailand frequently recently, due to work in the region, Thailand seems to be experiencing fatigue dealing with tourist and business travelers. In the end, a "5-star" doesn't really have an excuse not to treat guest with anything less than excellent service. The staff weren't rude but they weren't service oriented. The pool boy was too busy reading his magazine to bring us towels. The bathroom had no sockets for a hair dryer and much to my surprise the hairdryer was located in a drawer in the minibar, with a socket and a mirror above the minibar for fixing one's hair. On a positive note, they did have good food.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Met_BKK, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write your comment regarding your recent experience at the Metropolitan Bangkok.

Whilst I am glad to know that you enjoyed our food, I am equally concerned about your disappointment and the lackadaisical attitude of our staff, in particular the pool attendant.

Please be assured that we aim at achieving service excellence and we take our guests’ comments seriously. I have discussed the matter with the Spa Manager who looks after the pool operations to ensure an immediate improvement of the attentiveness of our staff.

Please accept my apologies for our shortcomings on this visit. I hope this will not mar too much of your patronage of the Metropolitan Bangkok. And I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

James Low

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Room
Stayed in a ‘metropolitan room’ for 5 nights. Room is very spacious – the sofa area can probably seat 4-5 people easily. A good distance between the sofa area and the bed.
Not sure if it was deliberate or due to age, the wood paneling and wooden furniture made the room feel a little ratty tatty but I let it pass off as cozy and ‘Thai’. Bed is huge and comfortable.
The shower had no curtain/door which made me guilty for splashing water all over the floors and bathtub.

I must praise the breakfast - pastries and fruit from the buffet and a hot main (such as pancakes) from the menu. Although there weren’t a great number of choices, the quality of the food is above average (compared to those huge-turnover buffets elsewhere)
The Thai restaurant appeared very popular – we failed to get a table without a reservation on a week night.
The room service offers an impressive variety. I recall a delicious crab meat and green papaya salad but a very horrible vegetarian burger. I guess you have to try your luck! The presentation is lovely too.

Facilities
Gym – what a 5 star gym. Treadmills and cross-trainers with TVs and headphones, whole sets of dumbbells, chilled wet face towels, towels, yoga mats… are just the beginning.
WIFI available in room and lobby (negotiate when booking).
I did not swim – the Thai restaurant and the gym directly looks onto the outdoor pool, making swimmers somewhat on display!

Others
The staff were all very nice and commanded good English. The location is not very convenient - the only way around seem to be by taxi. A good 15 minute walk to the nearest train station. If you are looking to have a fancy meal at a famous restaurant try the rooftop bar/restaurant an Banyan Tree which is right next door. That’s what we did on the final evening.

Overall the hotel is not bad but not likely to stay there again on my travels (this trip was for business).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2011

All facilities were Excellent - great room, food (breakfast menu only experienced), bar and reception were very well organised and nicely done

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Macau
Reviewed February 17, 2011

This is a hotel where I have stayed many times over many years. It is one of my favourites in Bkk, but I want to make an update: the former restaurant in the ground floor is gone, replaced by a somewhat flashy Thai one. The new restaurant only opens for dinner, what means the great outdoors lunches by the pool are gone too! I can't realize what lapse of judgement from the management led to this state of affairs, but until this mistake is corrected I am forced to downgrade the Metropolitan's rate.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent experience at the Metropolitan Bangkok.

I truly appreciate your continued support to the Metropolitan for the past years. But I am sorry to hear of your disappointment in the closure of Cy’an restaurant.

Allow me to take this opportunity to introduce Nahm, our new Thai restaurant by the award-winning chef, David Thompson. The restaurant has been receiving positive comments from our customers as well as great reviews from local and international food critics since its opening in September 2010. We have started our preparation for lunch service where our guests can enjoy a great outdoor meal by the pool. And we will send an announcement soon on the opening date of our operations for lunch.

Meanwhile, I wish to express my appreciation for your patronage. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Metropolitan soon. And I hope that you can find time to visit back Nahm on your next stay.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Based on recent reviews of the hotel, I changed my mind about booking a room there and came for dinner instead.

The hotel entrance and lobby is truely great with intriguing design. The pool area was also very chic with beautiful, amazing design and made me start regretting not having picked this hotel after all. But in the restaurant we started understanding some of the concerns of earlier reviewers.

The staff spoke very poor English and communicating with them was very difficult. Apparently the renouned restaurant shut down 6 months ago and had been replaced by a new Thai restaurant. The staff claimed it was fully booked although there were almost no customers (3/4 empty).

After insisting a bit we still got a table and the restaurant remained half empty while we was there.... Food was mediocre ( to not say below average - the poorest meal during our 2 weeks in thailand) and very pricy: 70EUR (over 100USD) for almost nothing. A shared salad and 2 main dishes and a bottle of water. The size of the dishes were small, very small.

The most frustrating part was the poor communication with the waitress and other staff who insisted we order rice with an unspicy salad (really not recommended).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Met_BKK, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Sir,

I note with concern your posting regarding your recent dining experience at our Nahm restaurant.

I am sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience with our waiting staff in relation to their English language skills, which has led to a miscommunication in your food order. However, we can assure you that we do prioritise the importance of communication skills of our staff, but sometimes accents and culture can be an obstacle.

The patronage of the restaurant, without any exaggeration, has been consistently full for the past few weeks. The average covers for the period of 1 - 13 February was 75 covers per day (full capacity is 80 persons, depending on group size per table). As you can appreciate the dinner crowd comes in at different intervals, perhaps your observation was made in between seatings.

Our prices at Nahm are comparable with most hotels’ Thai restaurants and offer good value. The average a la carte menu price for canapés is Bht 150, salads at Bht 420 and mains Bht 450-500. Our popular set menu is priced at Bht 1,500 per person which includes 4 types of canapés, soup, 4 mains and a dessert.

We regret that your dining experience fell short of your expectations but nevertheless we will always endeavor to achieve dining excellence at Nahm.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Bangkok.

Yours Sincerely,

Earby
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed here overnight on way to northern Thailand. Huge rooms, well appointed in a contemporary style. Huge, excellent bathroom. Lovely toiletries.
Arriving late, we opted for room service which was good and arrived quickly.
Comfortable large bed.
Breakfast in 'Glow' restaurant was first class with some exceptional dishes such as a variety of yogurts layered with fresh mango puree, museli, nuts etc., pancakes, waffles as well as full cooked breakfast option with very attentive staff.
Would stay here again although it is not very close to skytrain stations.
The only comment we would like to make is that we found it strange that people using the pool and spa had to walk through the restaurant.
Check in and check out was thorough and quick.
All in all a short, but very good stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I’ve stayed many times at The Metropolitan and my most recent trip left me doubting its status as the coolest hotel in Bangkok.

Normally the standard rooms are just easy, nice and clean… no fuss with comfy beds… this trip I found the rooms weren’t of a high standard. The room smelt very drainy, bed linen was marked, fruit looking manky… all in all a little bit too tired.

A quick chat to the concierge and they promised to look at the room while we were out… I couldn’t tell whether there had been any improvement when we returned, but there you go.

What I’ve always liked about Metropolitan was the attentiveness of staff, no guffing around everything was first class polished service. Whether it was a change in set-up or new management who knows? The breakfast team/concierge were very much lacking… slow & with limited communication skills. Although the hotel can’t be responsible for everything, I found the screaming children very irritating over several mornings and a number of guests clearly annoyed by some parents selfishness – should something have been said? I think so… Metropolitan in my view isn’t targeting the Brady Bunch & it wasn’t a playground.

Highlight = Nahm restaurant, just fantastic! Great service & absolutely worth a visit, but that was unique!

Broadly, I feel the hotel has lost it’s edge, Banyan Tree next door was always so ‘awkward’ and cliché… with it’s white socks n sandals crowd. It pains me to say that Metropolitan has become far too ‘ordinary’ & sadly I plan to choose a different hotel in a few months time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simonlazenby
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write about your recent experience at the Metropolitan Bangkok.

I am concerned to note that you were disappointed with your stay, in particular the lackadaisical attitude of our staff and the tiredness of the bedroom.

We have continuously conducted training programmes on quality standard for our staff to achieve service excellence but obviously for this instance we have fallen short in our delivery. Perhaps, it was a combination of the sudden surge in occupancy over the festive holidays and shortage of staff which contributed to our poor performance. Nevertheless, we can assure you that this will be rectified as soon as possible.

As you might have noticed our Food & Beverage outlets, Nahm and Glow have been recently upgraded and you will be pleased to know that we have plans to embark on a soft renovation program to ‘refresh’ the bedrooms this year.

I sincerely apologise for our shortcomings and I hope you can reconsider returning to the Metropolitan on your next visit.

I look forward to welcome you back personally and another opportunity to serve you better.

Yours Sincerely,