“One of the finest hotels in the World”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Toronto
“One of the finest hotels in the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

I've stayed here many times and feel it is pretty good value when compared to any other hotel in this price level. There are of course little things that almost every hotel does not do, but here they seem to think of almost anything. I would like to see this hotel do its check ins and outs in the hotel room like other MO hotels. I would also like to see them bring back the helicopter service as the drive to the airport is annoying.
The spa here is one of the best I have ever been to when it comes to competent staff. The decor is quite exquisite. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Bangkok. There are a lot of neat places around this hotel as well. The rooms are always clean, and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Its a beautiful hotel carrying on a tradition of style, elegance and great service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Explorer852

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

Although we must say the service was very good (the staff even remembered) our names after the first day, we found that this hotel was overpriced fir the quality of the rooms and overall experience, Bangkok is full of do many great hotels priced very competitively that we don't see the point of spending such a huge premium for the Oriental.

• Stayed December 2009
3 Thank tonyonholiday
Perth W.Aust
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

We had been spoilt at the Dusit D2 in Chang Mai before staying at the Oriental. We received upmarket Thai service but it left a little to be desired. At breakfast, we stood at the counter trying to be noticed so we could get a table - and it wasn't busy. It got very sunny one morning and I requested a table with an umbrella or an umbrella over our table. 15 minutes later, I found one myself. In the Veranda Restaurant, our drinks were left on the bar and not brought to the table until we asked. Food service was slow. The good part was the boat the takes you from the Hotel upstream to the Skytrain terminal or acrss the river t o the Peninsula, Yes, I'd probably stay there again but I think I'd try another hotel to see if the service was better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank QT_Fanatic
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

I don't know what MO does, but they rule....forget about the four seasons etc. MO is just absurdly amazing. The service just makes you want to scream when you get back home...I mean getting spoiled this much can't be that good for you, can it? From the obsessive recognition of my name to the over the top reading my mind at breakfast thing....amazing amazing amazing!!!
Spa also rocks big time....no other place in the world do I feel like a rock star....LOVE YOU GUYS!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Valentino333888
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

Have stayed at the MO Bangkok for more than 10 years and this will be our last visit.
The service has gone downhill.
Each morning for a week, the pool attendants put magazines on all the sunny side lounge chairs to reserve for their better tipping guests.
Bellboys are aggressive with tips extending hands out to demand.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rc3hk
Freiburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

Location at the River, the nicest Terrace for the evening dinner; Rooms are very functional, cosy, not design-overloaded;
But the very best is the attentive, super-friendly service, which gives the hotel the personal touch.. the buttler for each floor, the reception and even the bellboy who knows you by name and on which floor you live... just so amazing and fantastic.. every stay is perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

My wife and I and our 3 month old son stayed at the Oriental for 1 night only last week as we were attending my Sister in law's wedding. We wanted to stay not only for convenience, but because of the legendary service that is associated with this hotel and wanted to be pampered.

Let me start by saying that the hotel is beautiful. The public areas and rooms are stunning, with all the facilities that you would expect from a hotel with this history and reputation. The rooms are very well equipped and wonderfully decorated with beautiful Thai style decoration. However, I always believe that it is the small things that put together make a spectacular experience and a hotel that is proud of its reputation for the best as this hotel is needs to be judged by it's own high standards. This is the reason for the low mark - A couple of things added up to mean that we were overall left slightly disappointed by the service.

To illustrate;
1) We arrived and parked our car at the carpark and unloaded our luggage from there. To get to the main lobby, there is a set of steps. Despite the fact that there were parking attendants in the garage, nobody offered to help us carry the luggage down the steps (we had a baby pram plus suitcases) and instead we were watched by the parking attendants as we struggled to manage. This was clearly not a one off as exactly the same thing happened upon check out. Nobody offered to assist with taking our luggage to the car, despite the presence of parking attendants.
2) We requested a cot in the room for our 3 month old son. We called ahead in the morning to make sure it was there when we arrived, and checked again at check in that it had been put there. They told us it had, but when we got to the room it was not there. We called the front desk to check, but it took a good hour before it finally arrived (without apology). For a hotel that prides itself on the service - this is not really good enough...
3) We were given a special toiletries and toy kit for the baby along with details about baby sitting services that the hotel offers. A very nice touch, but this was delivered to our room at 10.00pm (we had checked in about 1.00pm) which was clearly far too late as we had already bathed the baby and put him to sleep. We had not planned to use the baby sitting services, but again - for a hotel that prides itself on these special touches - it needs to get them right every time...
4) Breakfast. We came down together with my Sister in law and her new husband to have breakfast together. We requested a table by the river. We could see that there was a big table free, which we were told was reserved and we could not have despite the fact that there was a similar size table next to this one which had just been vacated and needed clearing. Instead of seating us at the available table, they made us wait for close to 10 minutes whilst one waiter cleared the table by himself. There were other waiters around, but none of them came to assist and I actually felt like helping him out just so we could get on and sit down to breakfast. This again may be a small thing, but not a good example of legendary service...
5) Cleanliness of the room - I had to de-clog the shower as it had been blocked with hair... I would not have expected that at a hotel with less of a reputation!

Overall - we did have a very nice stay at this beautiful hotel, but I was left disappointed with the service. It lacked the personal touch and did not get the details right. A hotel at this level needs to get it right every time and needs to be judged against its own high standards. If I had the choice again, I would probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family