“Best hotel ever!”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I was astounded at the service at the Oriental in Bangkok. They think of everything, even before you ask for it. You come in from a tiring day of sightseeing, and two minutes later a man arrives at your door with hot snakcs, unsolicited! The food was marvelous (except at their restaurant across the river with the Thai dancing show), the room was lovely. Everyone should experience such a hotel at least once in their lifetime.

Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank TGA

Reviewed July 15, 2006

I stayed in one of the balcony suites with my friends on a recent vacation through SE Asia and we could not have been happier with our choice of the Oriental. From the minute you arrive, you are pampered by the incredibly attentive staff. We stayed for four nights and by the second day the staff remembered our names. The conceirge was extremely helpful in booking reservations and with suggestions on various activities to undertake. It was, without a doubt, the most amazing experience I have had at a hotel.

The only possible negative could be the smaller size of the regular rooms in comparison to US hotels. I did not stay in one so I cannot comment on that (it's a complaint I've seen on this board), but the deluxe suites (the level below the author suites) were rather well appointed and spacious (I was traveling with two other guys in their mid-20's and we had plenty of room).

If in Bangkok, I suggest treating yourself to this hotel. It really adds to the experience.

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank crimsonnyc
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We stayed for 4 nights at the "older" Garden Wing - a split-level room - in June, 2006. This was our 2nd return visit in 6 months. We'd booked a "newer" River Wing room previously, and found there are more exigible charm & old-world ambiance in the Garden Wing at the Authors Lounge part of the hotel. The Oriental, in our eyes, beats the many top-tier hotels that we had stayed at in our travels over the last few years such as the Landmark MO & Conrad Hong Kong, the MO New York, 4-Seasons Maui, Kahala MO Honolulu, 4-Seasons Tokyo, MO Kaula Lumpur, Tanjung Rhu Langkawei, etc. The room rates are very reasonable in comparison to say, MO-NY or 4-Seasons Maui. Service was impeccable, and we even received a personal welcome from the Resident Manager Paul Jones at our table & personal letters from the Oriental's legendary Gen. Mgr. Kurt Wachtveitl when we returned home each time. A not-to-be-missed visit for those that come to Bangkok.

6  Thank cy33
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 28, 2006

This was my 3rd visit to the Oriental. It is simply a wonderful hotel. The service, the facilities and staff are flawless.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

First of all, I think this is still the best hotel in Bangkok. Last time i stayed here in 2004 I were satisfied with everything. But this time I think things were a little bit different.

I stayed at the Oriental for four nights in mid June 2006. First of all, the staff are incredibly courteous and attentive. I have never seen service at this level in any other hotel in the world. Every one knew my name - from the representatives who met me at the airport - to my driver - to the front desk members - the bell boys - the security staff - the manager on duty - the housekeepers - EVERYONE! This is quite amazing. I like the idea that they put the guest in the very centre of the world.

Anyhow, check-in went smoothly and I was guided to my room by a front-desk member. Room was nice, BUT I think the Oriental are losing their lead to other top-notch hotels in Bangkok. The rooms and the technology in the rooms are quite out-dated. They have old televisions which are of bad quality (bad picture and bad sound). The cd-player provided in the room are okey, but who really needs a cd-player these days?? I would rather appreciate a in-room dvd-player or a multimedia system. Further on the furnishing and the bathroom looks little but outdated too. They should start to update their rooms so they don't lose their position further more.

As I have been to Bangkok many times, I have some friends there. And one night my friend and I was leaving the hotel for dinner. And when we passed the security guys in the main lobby I could see they were talking about us, and I also caught them laughing. My friend who speak Thai, said that he could hear that they were talking negative about us - about us being gay, etc. This made me very angry, and I told them that I would report this to the manager, which I did - and I am still waiting for the reply. I am not accepting things like this when staying at hotels such as the Oriental. They should respect every guest - no matter race, gender, status or beliefs. I think some of them have an attitude problem, and are too snobby. But exept from this I still love the Oriental.

Maybe next time I will try the Sukhothai or the Peninsula.

Plus: the service, the food, the bed, the staff, the hotel, the garden, the restaurants, the limousine service
Negative: the security guys talking derogatory about the guests, little bit outdated rooms

12  Thank skrosvik
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I've boycotted this hotel for around 7 years now. They were quite offensive to my thai partner, so I've generally stayed at the Peninsula or Sukhothai since.

Anyhow, I was going to be in BKK for 2 nights and had just received an Amex 2 nights for price of one offer on my centurion card. It meant they were cheaper than the competition and I fancied a quiet time by the river so I booked a deluxe room with balcony.

After the debacle of my last stay I'd love to have been able to say that the stay was dreadful. It wasn't. Professional, faultless service from start to finish.

Early morning carot juice delivered on the dot. Shoes shined daily without asking. Laundry collected and delivered without the form filling. Superb dinner on the terrace. Late night brandy in Bamboo bar with some great music. Amazing massage in the spa. Bang up to date room with balcony overlooking river with an old world feel. Lift boys who still remembered me after 8 years.

The only negative is that they take themselves a bit seriously. There were a few royals in residence, so on several occasions we were asked (told) to stand aside for several minutes at a time in case a minor deity noticed there were paying peasants there too. But that's a bit of a thai thing. Ironically I was chatting to an aide who had been called up by the wife of a head of state who was delayed at the lift for several minutes too.

Anyway a grudging thumbs up. But I still can't see the other half ever stepping foot in the place, nor, sadly, do I believe that he'd be welcome.

5  Thank dokanman
Reviewed May 30, 2006

During my career I've stayed at many great hotels, including $1,000/night Grand Hotels in Europe, but the Oriental Bangkok is probably the best I have ever visited. Service is impeccable and impressive. I arrived for check-in at 1 AM because of flight problems and was shown to my room after a brief check-in. The next morning when I went to the lobby every staff person knew me by name! Wow! Never in the most expensive hotels in the world have I ever been known to the entire staff by name on the first day of my stay. After one afternoon of shopping I arrived at the hotel and the staff literally ran to help me with my packages, smiling the entire time and being very sympathetic that I was hot!

The river-side veranda restaurant in the hotel is excellent. Eating on the veranda by the Choa Praya River in the cool of the evening is an expereince everyone should have at least once. For breakfast they even ask you how you would like your bacon cooked (and that is the way it comes). I've stayed at expensive European hotels where you were lucky if it was cooked at all. Dinners can be either an excellent buffet or a la carte. The food and service is always terrific. Prices for rooms and food are high by Bangkok standards, but very reasonable by American and European standards. I stayed in the new section of the hotel and the rooms were jewels of tasteful elegance with fresh flowers and fresh mango left every day. These mangos were among the best things I have ever eaten - nothing like the tasteless mango-like things we get in the US. Personally I would have liked to have stayed in the old, original rooms of the Oriental (called the Garden section) but those rooms were booked during my stay. The hotel bar is also very nice, tasteful, low-key and relaxing, with live jazz and blues on some nights.

Getting to the rest of Bangkok from the Oriental is very easy, with a river-taxi dock just yards from the hotel entrance, and a station for the excellent Bangkok "subway" a short 1/4 mile walk down a very crowded, interesting and exotic street. Don't be afraid to take the river taxis (they are more like river buses). They are used by both locals and savvy tourists and is an incredible deal at about 12 cents per trip.

The hotel arranged a very reasonably priced private boat for us to go into the many canals of Bangkok where tourists don't normally travel. This is not a normal service for the hotel, but when we asked they provided it. Later we asked for another small private boat to take us on an unusual full-day trip up the Chao Praya River and they arranged it with no trouble and provided box lunches and drinks! This is really an excellent hotel.

While I was at the Oriental Bangkok the King and Queen of Thailand held a reception for the visiting Queen of the Netherlands so this is clearly the place to stay when in Bangkok. The King had his classic Rolls Royce of course, but there were 20 matching cream-colored Mercedes' for the visiting royalty and 20 matching red Mercedes' for the local royal staff. Very impressive.

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled on business