4,746 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingcooking schoolthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boat
Reviewed October 12, 2017

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Bangkok, formerly, The Oriental Hotel is one of the landmark hotels of Asia that has been around forever. Quite simply, it is a great hotel.

The Oriental is over a hundred years old and it has been serving travelers to Bangkok for all of those years. Its current structure is certainly not that old but its roots in history remain. Today, it is a five-star hotel with all of the enmities that one would expect. But, what I love about this hotel is the subtle elements that it offers its guest that really make it a unique and worthwhile place to stay. Whether it is having coffee out on the deck, overlook the Chao Praya, at the Riverside Terrance, having a drink inside, in air conditioned comfort, at the bamboo bar, or eating at one of the great themed restaurants housed inside the hotel, this hotel is really the place to stay in Bangkok.

Personally, I have been staying here since the early 1980s. I have watched as the hotel has evolved. Whereas some of the five-star hotels in Bangkok seem to deteriorate with time, this is not the case with the Mandarin Oriental. The rooms, the services, and the staff continue to stay at the top of the game.

In terms of the rooms, they are what can be expected from a five-star hotel in Asia. They are clean and well-maintained. The most impressive thing is the incredible view they provide of the Chao Praya River and Bangkok beyond. I have sat in my room and on the deck of their veranda watching the boats and the Bangkok life pass by on the river for hours on end. The view is great!

Getting to The Mandarin Oriental from the airport is simple enough. Grab a taxi and you are there. This is the same when you are out and about in Bangkok. Whether you are traveling via taxi or tuk-tuk, every driver knows how to get to the Mandarin Oriental. So, you never have a problem getting back to the hotel.

In terms of pricing, truthfully, this hotel is pretty much at the top of the Bangkok pricing scale. And, yes, there are much cheaper four and five-star hotels to stay in in Bangkok. But, if you want a guaranteed experience, then it is worth the price you pay to stay at this hotel. But, that is just my opinion…

I have personally had a lot of very good and unique experiences while staying at this hotel. I do recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2017

Dear applezen,

Thank you so much for being our regular guests and for your kind review on TripAdvisor. It was our great pleasure to welcome you back once again. We are extremely delighted to learn that you had a wonderful experience during your recent stay with us by the River of Kings and that our legendary Oriental service having impressed you. I have shared your kind words with our team, they were delighted to hear your feedback. We hope to have another opportunity of serving you again in the not too distant future

Reviewed October 12, 2017 via mobile

A beautiful hotel, lovely style in the public areas and in the room. Many restaurants to choose from - inside and out - our favorite was the Italian restaurant outside on the river. The gym is very nice - but a bit inconvenient to get to as you have to take a 5 min boat ride to the property across the river (same with the spa).

Definitely book a room on the river. Pretty central to walk around and lots of good local shopping.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2017

Dear WinemeUp345,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. My colleagues and I assured you that we will continue to enhance our legendary standards as well as service so that your next visit will be another pleasant and enjoyable one!

Reviewed October 9, 2017

I have booked the Grand ballroom for our wedding on November, 17th 2017.
From our past experience as a regular patron to your hotel as well as sentimental value to us that both of our parents hold their wedding ceremony at Mandarin Oriental Hotel, we decided to make a reservation almost a year ahead and looking forward to our wedding.

On late August 2017, our wedding planner received information from your hotel that they would probably accept the meeting booking on the same day November 17th and they can only return the Grand Ballroom back to us at 5pm!

I believe that from your vast experience as a hotel that holds numerous wedding reception per year would understand that decorating the room for wedding especially right after meeting there isn’t possibly enough time for us to work on. Furthermore, our wedding planner and your hotel have been in contact regularly and the decoration have been estimated in advance that it will take more than ONE hour until right before the wedding to complete. From this event our wedding planner clearly stated that it would be impossible to achieved decoration as planned. Just transporting the equipment would take an hour already!

As the result, we have to look elsewhere which greatly put strain on our preparation as well as the choice of the hotel with enough space for our guests is limited due to November being a popular month for the Thais to get married with this short notice.

I would not recommend anyone to choose this hotel for their event.
Bests,
Supaspong

Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ekky1987
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2017

Dear Ekky1987,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are indeed sad for having failed to offer you the renowned Oriental hospitality experience. Please accept our sincere apologies on this incident. Your comments has already been shared with the concerned department. Please rest assured that we are committed to find the very best way to improve our service standard, moving forward.

Again, I sincerely apologize on behalf of my colleagues. I hope that you will be able to look at your experience as an isolated incident and that you will give us an opportunity to reassure you of our commitment to serve you properly and to make amended during a future visit. Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at fdroin@mohg.com. Thank you.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

An absolutely magnificent hotel.attentive staff and superb rooms.the butler service was brilliant.the Chinese restaurant in this hotel was fantastic.my room had a view of the Chao Phyraya river.jyst lived my stay here.the spa was very good too.a perfect stay at this hotel!

Stayed: October 2017

Dear Rathi N,
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review with us on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our legendary Oriental service as well as our Chinese cuisine at the China House. We really hope to welcome you back for another exquisite stay in the not too distance future.

Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

Whenever I come to Bangkok I would visit places I have been to and one of these is the Mandarin Oriental. I have stayed here before courtesy of friends visiting from America. I enjoyed the quality of service and food they provide to guests. When I was in town on my own, i decided to pay a visit. I was neatly dressed with khaki longish shorts a button down long sleeved shirt rolled to the elbow as it was warm and a pair of loafers. As soon as I stepped down the complimentary ferry ran by the hotel I was immediately stopped. I was asked what I was doing here. I said errrrr I am here to have something to eat. He said I was not allowed to come to the hotel grounds. I asked why and what's the reason for that. He said I am not a hotel guest. I told him since when did the rules changed he said now. I was in a state of shock. I nearly asked for the manager to get this straight. I didn't want to create a scene so I decided to board the ferry and never to return. I told this to my friends who were also shocked. I know am an insignificant but they have just lost a patron who speaks highly of the hotel. Oh well there are other nice places to visit where I don't get treated like that. Let this be charged to a very bad experience.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
5  Thank t_j_w_boy
MOBangkok, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2017

Dear t_ j_w_boy,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our staff. I am regretted to learn about what had happened at our hotel’s pier during your recent visit.

I would like to hear more details about this incident. Please let me know if we may contact you, via phone or email, to discuss this further. To contact me directly, please kindly send an e-mail to fdroin@mohg.com. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.