We returned to the Oriental after not having been there for 12 years. We were concerned about how it might have changed. Nothing to worry about there. The hotel was fabulous, and any changes were only changes for the better. The hotel has kept its distinctive refined atmosphere. Our room (a suite) was unbelievable and full of fresh flowers. Housekeeping was immaculate. The restaurants at the Oriental are wonderful. We had a lovely dinner at Lord Jim overlooking the Chao Phraya, and even the cafe downstairs is delicious (try the pomelo chicken salad). The Thai dance and dinenr at the Sala Rim Naan is perfect. I am not a big fan of the Oriental's breakfast buffet, although it does have a great variety. I prefer the a la carte offerings.
Have the boatman at the Oriental's dock set up a longtail taxi ride through the klongs. What an eye-opener on a beautiful and unusual lifestyle. Make sure and take in the Royal Barge Museum on the way. We also made use of the Oriental's fleet of chaffeured BMW's which will take you around town for about $25/hour. I will definitely return for a longer stay in the near future.
By the way, we stopped in at the Peninsula for a look around. The hotel has a very sterile feel in my opinion, and the decor is very standard (by the way, I am a huge fan of the Peninsula in Hong Kong). The restaurants were not nearly as appetizing as those of the Oriental. The pool at the Peninsula, however, is pretty, although the Oriental is also good in this regard. No contest, in my opinion. Oriental all the way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Mandarin Oriental, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental