“Very good, but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Hamden, Connecticut
“Very good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Oh Mandarin Oriential Bangkok, where should I start with my review...?
I recently stayed four nights attending an onsite conference at the MO Bangkok. This is a smaller property compare to the Pen or Shangari-la near by, but has its old time charm. What really stands out at the MO is its service. I booked roundtrip airport transfer, and a BMW 7 seriers was waiting for me promptly at the airport when I arrived. When we pulled into the hotel, an check in agent greeted me as I was stepping out of the car and I was ushered directly to my room. Brief paperwork was done in my room and everything was explained to me thoroughly. My room was small and had a partial view of the river, but given the group rate we obtained as conference attendee(only about half of MO's regular rate), no complaints there. Shortly after, butler brought over the welcome drink, very refreshing and hit the spot right, especially after almost 24 hours of traveling. The room is clean, spotless clean, and has everything you need.
Serives at the MO is as expected, down to every detail. Breakfast buffet is served on the river side and inside seating is not allowed, if you choose to have the buffet. This is where i think MO can improve, sitting along side the river is great, the view is also great, but with Bangkok's heat and humidity, which easily reaches over 30C in the morning does not make the BF expereience enjoyable.
Hotel's location is very convinent as well. I had half of a day free and was able to easily get to the BTS station via hotel shuttle boat and explore Bangkok. If you do venture out to the city and decided to take the tuk-tuk back, please note that they do not allow tuk-tuk to enter the hotel courtyard, you will need to get off outside of the gate.
Overall i would rate my experience at the MO excellent. The service is absolutely top notch, but perhaps alittle over the top, and you will certainly pay for it. You will definiately be pampered at the MO Bangkok, but i just felt all the extra attention focused on me is a little over the top, but whom am I to judge :)?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jack L
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Jack L

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am pleased to know how much you appreciated your time at ‘La Grande Dame’. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the various culinary delights and the legendary Oriental service. Regarding the breakfast, we offer our guests the choice between The Riverside Terrace (outdoor venue) and The Verandah (indoor air-conditioned venue).

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at ‘La Grande Dame’.

Warmest personal regards
Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Effortless service, stunning rooms with a great view and superb food.
Airport transfer, the chauffeur for the day and concierge all delivered a professional service.
A true Mandarin hotel - excellent choice for Bangkok

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Mads4

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the legendary service from our colleagues. We appreciate your heartfelt recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok soon.

Best Regards
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I always stay in Conrad Bangkok when traveling to BKK, I chose Mandarin Oriental this time is because the conference held in this hotel. The experience of staying is totally AWESOME. View is fantastic, room is so clean, more importantly, how amazing all staffs are. Nothing to describe, but i will definitely come back with my wife for the coming holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear WillDong

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your colleagues to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and thank you very much for this outstanding review. We are delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay and that you especially enjoyed the service, personal touches and fantastic river views. We look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous stay!

Warm regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed here with family. Service, food, pool, tennis courts, airport transfer - all were top quality. Rooms were beautiful, clean and very comfortable. Clearly one of the top hotels we have stayed at, and definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LunaJ
Dear LunaJ

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. It was a pleasure to welcome you and I am delighted to read that you and your family had a fantastic experience. I will certainly share your kind words with our team; regarding the exceptional services our colleagues delivered throughout your stay.

Thank you for your recommendation and we all look forward to welcoming you back to 'La Grande Dame' soon.

Best regards
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

To my mind, The Oriental is an actual destination on one's trip to South East Asia, as in, "We're going to Hong Kong, Singapore and The Oriental." After three visits, I won't ever stay anywhere else in Bangkok. And whenever I visit the City of Angels, I can't wait to get back to the cool, calm respite of the hotel.

In fact, I could while away most of my time in Bangkok at the hotel's resort-like facilities: enjoying leisurely breakfasts and the best cappuccinos on the Riverside Terrace, working out at the gym and indulging at the amazing spa, sipping Thaijitos in the Bamboo Bar, lounging by the tropical pool, taking high tea in the Author's Lounge, and simply reveling in the exceptional personal service.

Upon arrival during my last visit, the staff greeted me at the door with smiles, saying 'welcome home," and it was so true. In addition to being a destination unto itself, The Oriental is my home away from home in Thailand.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaisieNewYork
Dear MaisieNewYork

Wow! Thank you very much for this glowing review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am very pleased to hear your wonderful feedback and I am delighted that you had an exquisite time. I am delighted that you especially enjoyed our legendary service and culinary delights. Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation, we hope to welcome you back for another amazing stay with us in the future!

Best Regards
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

We loved this hotel. The room was well finished, immaculately clean and had the beautiful river views.
Little touches, like the daily book marks and fruit, the lavish attention towards the children from the staff (especially in the breakfast restaurant), to the valets and doormen. All were truly kind and lovely people.
The food was yummy and the yoghurt at breakfast was the best I have ever eaten. I ordered the same everyday and loved the little ceramic pot and fresh honey still in its honeycomb.
The pool was nice, but the service here was a little less than in other areas of the hotel. We had to ask for towels to be placed on our loungers and chase down the attendants if we wanted to order anything to eat or drink.
We would stay here again in Bangkok, being by the river was fun and travelling in the wooden barges was a great novelty for the children (and parents!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank carls888
Dear carls888

Thank you very much for reviewing Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you particularly enjoyed our legendary service, attention to details and culinary delights. Your recommendation is appreciated and I have addressed this with our Pool and Food & Beverage team to ensure consistency of service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at ‘La Grande Dame'.

Best wishes
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here with 2 friends for 3 nights. I travel a lot and have seen many good hotels but this on is out of this world. Rooms, service, pool , food everything is on the highest standaard. Would highly recommend this hotel in Bangkok.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Netherlands

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. We are glad you enjoyed the service, rooms, culinary delights and wonderful river views. We appreciate your heartfelt recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards