“Lovely stay at the Mandarin Oriental”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“Lovely stay at the Mandarin Oriental”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for 3 nights in February and had a fabulou time! The location of the hotel is perfect; I loved being on the River. The rooms are pricy but we preferred it to the Peninsula (which we stayed in later in the trip). One day we had a couples Thai massage which was lovely. We never had Tea at the hotel even though it's famous. I just wasn't wild for the setting. We had the Thai dinner show one night. The ladies are beautiful but honestly you can forgo that. I set up my own private tour guide as the one the hotel suggested was about 4 times more expensive than one of the top rated guys on Trip Advisor. I highly recommend a guide as they can get you around the city fast and explain everything to you. You just tell them what you want to see. It truly is a beautiful hotel. I'd go back in a second.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goodtrips01
MOBangkok, Marketing Coordinator at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear goodtrips01

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experience and posting these lovely photos! We are truly delighted to hear that you had such a fabulous time with us. In particular, the enjoyment at The Oriental Spa and the beautiful ambiance of our La Grande Dame. We look forward welcoming you back for another fabulous stay.

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel many times over the years. Every time I feel like telling people I like of the fantastic service, the great location and the unique ambience of this hotel. Across the river, Peninsula has a great 5 star hotel that deserves great reviews, but MO has got the X factor of a long tradition, great restaurants that offers some of the best food in the country as well as great ambience, and a bar to die for with live Jazz. Every flow has got a butler who recognizes you and treats you like royalty. He or she remembers your preference and organizes every little thing you need to make your stay special. Thanks to the many people who works so hard for their clients. We did not leave the hotel area for several days as we used the spa, the tennis and quash as well as fitness facilities and all the wonderful restaurants. If you want the best a hotel can offer, try this place, you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gudleiv
Dear Gudleiv

One of the best hotels on the planet sounds FANtastic !! Thank you for sharing the hotel’s legendary experience with your companions! We are extremely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our iconic restaurants, the Bamboo Bar, the Oriental Spa and in particular the legendary service experience from the Oriental Team. Our staff members work daily with great dedication to make every guest’s stay a special one. Your appreciations are very special and we have shared your encouraging feedback with the entire team. Pleasure of welcoming you back to La Grand Dame.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was my second visit in 6 months, and it was every bit as good as the first.

Service is impeccable as you would expect.

Rooms are lovely. Shower a bit dated, but that's a bit nit picky!

A lovely oasis in the madness that is Bangkok!

Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JedMaxwell

Thank you very much for recommending the hotel’s legendary service. We are thrilled to learn that we fulfilled our aim to anticipate your needs and that this has brought you back to La Grande Dame within 6 months! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your third visit even more special.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in November 2013, having chosen the hotel based on some high praise from friends and family.

The hotel feels like it's tucked away in a side street, but as soon as you turn the corner you immediately feel like you've arrived somewhere special, and are greeted by the friendly door staff. The hotel lobby is very impressive, with ornate flower and water displays, on arrival we were welcomed by the reception staff and informed we'd been given a complimentary upgrade.

We were escorted to our corner suite, which at first glance felt a little stayed and old fashioned, and not very well thought out. Being a TV fiend I was disappointed to find I couldn't watch TV in bed, and whilst we were upgraded would have preferred a room where I could. Everything in the room felt of very nice quality, however, we found the bed extremely hard, and didn't think we could stomach it for five days. We did ask for a softer mattress, but toppers were just added which didn't have much of an effect. The bathroom ceiling was quite low, and as such felt a little claustrophobic, the patio doors didn't lock, and the view was of a bunch of other buildings and a what looked like a a noisy building site.

Let's not forget this is Thailand we are talking about here, where a 30 minute cab ride costs about £2, and this hotel is charging £500 a night for the room we booked, let alone the cost of this upgraded room, so I would expect things to be absolutely perfect, and actually was quite disappointed, having just stepped out for The Peninsula in Hong Kong it felt like this was a real step down, when in fact from a cost perspective pretty much identical.

The staff are lovely, and couldn't do any more to help you, although a strange member of staff at breakfast did make some inappropriate comments about “put your watches in my pocket and I'll remember you forever”, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but actually means he'd paid us a little too much attention!

The outside spaces in the hotel are superb, with a nicely private pool, and great seating area overlooking the river Phraya, there is a fantastic buffet held in the outside restaurant overlooking the river which is a must if you're there, although a tad expensive at about £75 a head.

All in all a good hotel, but not one I'd return to, I would suggest at that cost to perhaps look at The Peninsula which is just across the river. One final comment on the hotel, they know they are a premium choice and as such charge you accordingly. We asked about a boat tour along the River Phraya, the concierge explained they'd use an outside company and the cost was £200, I saw the people they were using for the tours (just boats that go up and down the river) and asked them what the cost was, to which they explained it was only about £20 for a private tour. I was disgusted at the margin they were putting on. I believe in paying a premium price for a premium product, that is just daylight robbery, I am sorry, that is unacceptable!

In summary, I feel this hotel has “rested on its laurels” and is no longer the number 1 choice in Bangkok, however, their pricing doesn't reflect that, you may read this review and feel “this guy is just tight”, I can assure I'm not, but I do believe in value for money, and was left feeling this simply wasn't.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Jo D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Superb hotel - legendary and lives up to its name. Went there for a site inspection in March this year as a possible venue for my conference in October 2015. Just loved it and service is simply the best.

Room Tip: Full river view room is great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jacqueline B

Thank you very much for sharing your kind review with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the legendary Oriental hospitality service. We hope that the site inspection went very well! We will look forward to welcoming you again and please contact us so we can make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

It was a twist of fate. Cruel really. Having chosen the Shangri La for our Bangkok stay the following day the Sunday Times named the Mandarin Oriental (MO) as the best hotel in the world (outside Europe). We had no choice but to change our reservation.

Hidden Gem?
The MO is tucked away in a side street, a short walk from shops but most importantly on the banks of the Chao Praya river. A busy tourist, commuter and industrial thoroughfare with massive sand barges chugging slowly northwards.

A car fem the airport is simple but public transport by train to the S6 Saphan Taksin River Ferry Pier Skytrain stop is perfectly easy, but with a few changes. An unlikely choice for anyone forking out the price of a MO room. From the pier a regular free boat service connects to the hotel - five minutes.

The uniformed doorman in his Pith Helmet was high giving a youngster as we pulled up. Our bags were wished from us and a smooth check in followed. We had read with anticipation that each floor has its own butler. I had stereotypically expected a Thai 'Jeeves' but ours was an appropriately accommodating woman. During our stay, other than sorting out the louvred blind which affords privacy to the toilet, we did not use the butler service. Housekeeping proved efficient.

Our ninth floor room, the cheapest on offer I assume, was accessed by one of many efficient elevators but underwhelming in its size and design. A huge writing desk also provided a myriad of electronic inputs and connections - all unused by us. This meant that there was room enough only for one armchair. Thus if we wished to read in front of the panoramic river view we had to take turns in doing so. Following my feedback I am assured by the MO management that on any subsequent visit my preference for two armchairs has be registered on my guest preferences. Won't be happening, the world is too big.

The bathroom was good. With a long bath, good standard of fit and luxury toiletries.

We ate only at the MO during our stay, being too indolent to venture out in the evenings. We noticed that guests have exclusive use of the Authors' Lounge during the early evening and chose that location for our first sundowner. Sadly it was too exclusive and we sat cold (AC) and alone nursing our cocktails. A guest two Michelin chef was offering a tasting menu at the Ciao restaurant. Having persuaded them to find us a table we enjoyed this immensely and with accompanying wines it was, by European standards, good value.

The next night we took the hotel boat across to the hotel's Sala Rim Naam, Thai restaurant. The food and service were excellent.

Our third meal was on the Verandah - again very good. We eschewed the Normandie (seemed a bit stuck up) and the buffet on the Riverside. The Bamboo bar was OK but even by the time we had seen off two pre dinner cocktails the live band had not struck up. It too was almost empty.

Breakfast is served on the riverside terrace and was of a good standard.

The pool area is pleasant but kids seem to prefer screaming, shouting and fighting in the main pool rather than the children's pool. I appreciated the complimentary ice cream with sweetcorn and noodle toppings.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Mini Bar prices acceptable, if you need them.

Complaint - why, when paying so much for a room were we fleeced for using wifi. Every other hotel in Thailand provided access free.

The MO was fine but for me not a patch on Raffles in Singapore or The Oberoi in Agra. Similar to London's Savoy maybe.

Room Tip: Pay as much as you can
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KevinTurvey
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This could well be in the running for the best hotel in the world. Excellent butler service. Small touches like robes for the little ones. toiletries for the kids. excellent food selection. amazing spa. not sure what there is not to like. there were some minor renovation works going on upstairs from my room, but nothing too alarming.
Unfortunately, for the party goers, its not exactly the closest place to the partying area of Sukhomvit and the Siam area shopping belt, but with the hotel facilities so good, its virtually a resort in the city.
We had the superior room, which was comfortably sized, although with the cot, room seems a tad small.

Best hotel in the world? Its very much in the running. at least in my books.

The only hotel that probably can better the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear meatypie

Thank you very much for such an incredible compliment of us being in the running for the best hotel in the world! We are truly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the legendary Oriental butler, culinary delights and our award-winning spa. It will be pleasure to welcome you back for another exquisite stay.