“super elegant old style hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Was in the past many times here for a cocktail at the rive at 19.00. We specially liked the seafood lunch in Lord Jim’s, which was exclusive good, with good sushi!
The Oriental breaths an old atmosphere and qualities. It is a must to drink at least a cocktail on the river terrace, also on this terrace you can have a dinner like buffet style, which I did not prefer.
The staff is friendly and good organized.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeanny8
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Jeanny8

Thank you for recommending our restaurant venues on TripAdvisor. We are extremely delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our finest seafood at Lord Jim’s and marvelous ambiance at the Riverside Terrace while enjoying your cocktail. We hope that our legendary service will tempt your return at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Warm regards

Communications Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,505)

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I had a great summer vacation in Thailand. I stayed at Mandarin Oriental for 4 nights – 4 perfect nights in my life. Everything seems fantastic from check-in to check-out. We offered limo service when we booked room in the Internet. They picked me on time at the airport, and the limo driver was also helpful and cute, even his English was not very good. I totally love river view form my room, friendly and open-armed staffs, great services and delicious buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear ggodoa

Thank you for sharing your kind review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience with us especially enjoying the iconic Chao Phraya River view, luxury limousine, The Oriental Service and the sumptuous breakfast buffet at The Riverside Terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ soon for another excellent trip.

Best regards

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is one of my favorite vacation spots in the world. Just back to China, and I realize how much I am in love with this place and the oriental experience. The smiling faces, the elegant ambiance, sophisticated guests, fabulous breakfast and Michelin star dining at Le Normandie.

This time it was extra special as I was there during the Thai New Year and attended the Songkran management cocktail which was a delight: fabulous presentation, emotive performance and delicious Thai cuisine, at the author’s lounge.

I really enjoyed staying in the suite as they are massive with stunning views over the river. There are many activities to do around the hotel (yoga, fitness, cooking school, afternoon tea, sunset cocktails at Ciao, visiting temples and historic churches, or simply laying around the pool and doing nothing :). Also be sure to book an appointment with the resident Chinese Dr. (although he is American), the acupuncture sessions were fantastic!

Can’t wait to be back for my 4th visit ... heaven on earth!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank bsevag
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear bsevag

What an honour to be recognised as the “number 1 of all the Mandarin Orientals in the world”! It was a pleasure reading your kind comments and delighted to hear you had a FANtastic stay with us. Songkran is indeed a very special time and we are pleased to hear you cherished the event. We can’t wait to welcome you back ‘home’ for your fourth stay.

Warmest regards

Reviewed April 21, 2014

There is no where else on earth like The Oriental Bangkok. To experience what the hotel has to offer and to find out why it has been rated so highly by critics and guests around the world, I decided to spend a weekend at The Oriental. From booking the room to checking-in, the process was seamless and done in a very efficient and elegant manner. The staff go above and beyond to make sure I had an incredible experience and a comfortable stay. The place may seem a little snobby because they always hold wedding and engagement events with dressed-up guests from the Thai high society crowding the public area, however the staff really made me feel at ease.

The Superior room, their most basic room, which I booked was relatively compact in size compared to modern Bangkok hotels but it is gorgeously appointed. Due to the angled design of the Tower lay-out, my room had a partial river view despite being located towards the rear of the building. I could totally accept this as I can also glimpse at the city (same view as from the rooms at The Peninusla across the river). The bathroom is beautiful with marbles and wooden floor, double vanities, a lovely bath (would be awesome with a small TV!), and a walk-in shower. Their house branded range of toiletries smell amazing and are of similar quality to the usual brands such as Hermes/Acqua normally found in other Mandarin Oriental properties). The bed is super comfortable as expected and the TV is flat screen (but not HD) but has a wide range of international channels. You find a dedicated butler and house keeping attendant on each floor and everytime I make a request for something the same staff would come over each time remembering my preferences therefore I need not make further requests. Truly classy!

The breakfast buffet is served at the Riverside Terrace, al fresco style, in sweltering heat. The food selections are excellent with free flow of sparkling wine! I had lunch in their casual Verandah restaurant and the food was very delicious and came in large portion (one main course is enough). I thought this was of excellent value and you do not have to dress up (whereas dining in their higher end, Lord Jim's or Le Normandie restaurants require formal attire). In the afternoon I dropped by the pool for some relaxation, the main pool was really deep and the loungers often occupied by large families with lots of children. Not exactly the place to relax! I do, however, love the ice cream cart that comes around to your lounger serving refreshing scoops of ice cream with condiments , free-of-charge! The Oriental spa is highly acclaimed but I did not have enough time to try it. The Author's lounge in the original wing is often occupied by engagement parties during the day, if not, it is open for their famous afternoon tea. There is a small reading room reserved for hotel guests nearby. The entire colonial building is stunning and so is the French restaurant at the top (their lunch menus are of excellent value).

I truly recommend this legendary hotel to everyone who would like to experience luxury hospitality at its best. The location is not bad as there is access to the sky train via the complimentary shuttle boat (very fun experience). The main business and shopping areas are no more than 20 minutes away by taxi. Thumbs up to the team at The (Mandarin) Oriental Bangkok and Amanda Hyndman, the GM.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ben C

Dear skyrider88

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience and photos on Tripadvisor, they are amazing! You have been so kind with your detailed review, in particular regarding our accommodation, legendary Oriental butler service and the iconic breakfast at the Riverside Terrace. I have shared your kind feedback with our General Manager, Mrs. Amanda Hyndman and the Oriental family and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback. Thank you once again for your heartfelt recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ for another exquisite stay!

Warm regards

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Staying here for 8 days (2 more to go). Perfect service, very friendly staff, lovely food, nice pool area, great restaurant and nice bar. All very clean! Would come back again! Negative:
Rooms could be a bit bigger, too many small children (noise) around the pool and hotel building from the outside not very pretty... but inside very nice!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank V M

Dear V M

Thank you very much for posting an excellent review about your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, on Tripadvisor. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback, I have shared this with our management team for further consideration. We really look forward to welcoming you back again to Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Wish we could have stayed longer and we'll certainly be back. The friendly staff anticipated our every need from the fresh fruit in the room daily to the butler to turn down our bed each night. We rarely even touched an elevator button - someone was always there to do it for us. Our view of the river was gorgeous and their river boat took us to most of the places or connections we needed to go to. The buffet was divine and dining on the river was so restful. The little touches - like the orchids on the pillow each night with a bit of poetry was just one more thing to look forward to when we entered the room each night!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank DMCD24

Dear DMCD24

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review! I am thrilled to learn that we have fulfilled our aim to anticipate your needs during your stay. I am also delighted to read your appreciation of the hotel’s legendary Butlers and culinary delights. When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know; I would be pleased to assist with the necessary arrangements.

Warmest regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Upon arrival we were given fresh fragrant jasmine wreaths and escorted into the magnificent lobby, whose immense chandelier is made of hand strung purple everlasting flowers. A string quartet plays in the lobby in the evening. Our reception was gracious and friendly. Concierge very helpful with advice on shopping, restaurants and directions. They recommended various local inexpensive spots for lunch and dinner and they were just marvelously unusual and delicious. We stayed in the deluxe river view room with fabulous view of Chao Phraya river and enjoyed the various boats going by all lit up in the evening. Our room was spacious, luxurious and comfortable. Our butler was friendly, professional and willing to help with our unpacking and in our case re-packing of our many suitcases. The hotel has it's own boat which transports you to and from various river locations and back and forth to its spa. Do not miss having a Massage or treatment in this beautiful Oriental oasis. The restaurants are great, breakfast on the terrace overlooking the river is as wonderful as it is plentiful. Everything about this hotel is pure luxury, not the least bit ostentatious . When you walk through the door you feel like you've entered an oasis of calm, one you may never want to leave. The Mandarine was a wonderful way to end our Tour of Asia.

Room Tip: I think the deluxe river view rooms are the best, we were offered an upgrade to the Authors wing and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ataman2

Dear ataman2

“Walk through the door you feel like you’ve entered an oasis of calm” what a FANtastic description! Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review. Your wonderful recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope that our legendary service will tempt your return!

Warmest personal regards