“My Fifth time back”

Ranked #2 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Hong Kong, China
“My Fifth time back”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's my fifth time staying at the Oriental and I finally decided to write a review on this. It's rated the best hotel in Bangkok, and whenever we tell other hotels where we're staying, the employer's eyes shine. Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok provides guests with a very interesting feeling especially because it's in Bangkok. It's quite close to the city, and even though it's not a resort, it feels just like one.

A reason why I love to go back is because they always have weddings going on there. Even though I'm not invited, I really like the atmosphere of Thai weddings, lots of fresh flowers. I stayed there for 2 nights this Mid Autumn Festival, and they held over 6 weddings! We talked to the manager, and he said they have weddings every day.
Another reason why I love to go back is the food! I not only feel very comfortable when dining there, but the quality and price is more than worth it! My favourite restaurant is the Veranda, but I'm not sure why it's never full. If you have any dietary requests, they'll do anything they could. Last year I had severe allergies where I had a long list of what I couldn't consume. It was quite a chaos to order my meal for some places, but at the Mandarin, the manager gave us a very good service and the food came out to be so tasty! Their food are all well selected and fresh. The bar next to Veranda is quite well-known, and was busy every night. I spent my last night of the trip to Bangkok staying in the Peninsula, and I begged my family to have the last dinner back at the Mandarin. Since we changed hotel by taking Mandarin's shuttle boat over the harbour to The Peninsula Hotel, I thought Peninsula would be able to do the same thing if I had a dinner appointment over there. However, Peninsula's shuttle boat will only send you to the old pier next Mandarin, which requires you to walk through this dark, not too pleasant walk especially at night. Therefore we didn't get off and went back to Peninsula to call Mandarin Oriental to drive a shuttle boat over to Peninsula to pick us up. Later on we chatted with the hotel, and they told us that only Mandarin Oriental is allowed to go to Peninsula, but Peninsula cannot go to them by shuttle boat.

The breakfast at the hotel is wonderful, high quality, really well selected ingredients, promising you that everything you put in your mouth will be remarkable. A tradition that my family has every time we go back to the Mandarin Oriental starts at 10:30am, right after breakfast. It is very evident that they serve guests with very fresh food daily as every morning after breakfast they throw all the break down to the river for the fishes. We were so fortunate to see someone do that 7 years ago and from then on we always fed the fish every morning. A lovely lady who works there named Pum remembered us since two years ago and remembers all my preferences! I felt so honored and superior. Without me saying a word she brought me plates of my favourite and at the end of the breakfast, she brought over a big bag of bread.

Two years ago I stayed there and I wrote a letter to the General Manager and I feel like nothing much happened to the service last year, actually the it felt even worse; but this year they changed the general manager and I sense that the improvements were made! I was quite impressed with his years improvement, as I really hope they'll be able to keep it in the same condition or even better than what I've experienced there before.
An example would be the great improvement seen upon check in. It's the most efficient check in we ever had at this hotel. The second we got off the taxi, the bell boy recognized us and greeted us. Then comes the reception lady who stood outside waiting upon our arrival. She immediately led us to the reception and within a couple minutes 2 staffs brought us to our rooms and completed the check-in process there.

Whether it's for the brand or the place, I think the price is really worth it. Really small boutique hotels in Europe I stayed in recently costs almost the same price as Mandarin Oriental!

Room Tip: they have two different sections, known as the new wing and the old wing. It's my fifth time sta...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ssyykx
MOBangkok, Communications Coordinator at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear yykx,

Wow, thank you very much for this outstanding review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I really enjoyed reading about your experiences at the hotel. It was great to hear about how much you enjoy the atmosphere, cuisine, and personal recognition from staff. Thank you again for a wonderful review. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back soon to ‘La Grande Dame’ for another fantastic stay!

Communications Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The aesthetics of the place especially our room was too plain for me which is more than I expected from something like Mandarin. The ambiance was good except for the construction site right outside our window instead of the river, which is as much as you can see for a great view. What made up for this experience was their pool that was amazing. We truly loved sunbathing in the afternoon after the courteous and affable staff brought us our tea. There's also another pool area where you can have lunch or dinner by the poolside. We get our espresso from the coffee shop downstairs which brews it perfectly every time. The location is by the main road so you can expect a bit of noise so if you're looking for a morning stroll, try the stairs instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Maxi H,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am glad to hear that you especially enjoyed sunbathing by the pool and the coffee shop espresso. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ again in the future.

Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

From the second we entered the hotel, we were made to feel welcome, appreciated and well-cared for. This is, hands-down, the best service I've ever received in a hotel.

The hotel itself is historical and lovely -- the large, gracious lobby, outdoor pool and cabanas and Bamboo bar were notable, but the highlight of our stay was our Thai message at the spa. I get a message about once a month, and this is by far the best message I've ever had. Get one! Stay here! No regrets. Thanks for a memorable stay, M.O.!

Dear MarcieM146,

Thank you for this wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! It was great hearing about how much you liked the service, the pool, Bamboo Bar, and especially your Thai massage. Please come visit us again for another memorable stay!

Best Wishes,
Muscat
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having spent time in jungle, trekking, we decided to treat ourselves..and boy, what a treat! This rates for me as the number one hotel I have ever stayed in...The lobby is quite busy and boisterous but, having said that, the concierge, bell boy and floor butler called us by our name from the first - all the staff knew who you were and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was fantastic with attention to detail that should set the bar for any 5 star hotel...We had morning breakfast buffet, which was exceptional...this is quite simply the most impressive and relaxing 5 star hotel....and I loved that it was in downtown Bangkok, so we could easily go and see the world go by and have street food...not to be missed..having said that - we had room service on one night of our stay which was of a high quality..not the usual warmed up muck you so often find in hotels...The only down note...if there has to be one, You have to pay for wi-fi and they don't sell the beautiful paper orchids that all staff wear in their gift shop...

Dear Caroline T,

Thank you for this great review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I’m delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that you especially enjoyed the legendary service, convenient location, and delicious cuisine. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ sometime again in the future!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay in Thailand. The service and the scene was so incredibly stunning. The food was so delicious. The concierge was so reliable and knowledgeable, they always recommended the best place to visit. I went to every places they told me and never disappointed. I was still sorry for missing Oriental Thai Cooking Class because I have heard it was the best cooking class in Thailand. I will be back next year with my parents for sure.

Room Tip: Don't miss the Oriental Cooking Class. Try Le Normandie restaurant and Sala Rim Naam restaurant...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elliotlumbers
Dear Elliotlumbers,

Thank you for this great review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am delighted to hear about how much you enjoyed the service, scenery, and food. Please do check out the Oriental Cooking School on your next visit! We look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay soon!

Best Regards,
Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is truly hospitality. You dont need to even ask, just look around, someone will show up to assist you. It's green, peaceful and very comfortable. I stay in MO everytime I'm in BKK. Still I cannot get enough of this beautiful legendary hotel. I also stay in MO in HK, or Sing but only this hotel in BKK that really charms me everytime.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Lien Hoan L,

Thank you for this positive review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I’m delighted to hear that you appreciate the service and beauty of our hotel. Please come visit us again soon for another wonderful stay!

Best Wishes,
Luxemboug
Reviewed September 23, 2013

There's only one (almost) perfect place to live and to stay for everybody: your private home! Fortunately, the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok comes very close to this perfection. We had the great pleasure to stay again at the "Grande Dame" at the Chao Praya, and it's definitely our home away from home! The whole staff is fantastic, the location at the river is fascinating, the spa, the restaurants...well, we hope to be back very, very soon.

Dear Marc et Myriam W,

Thank you very much for your positive review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I’m very glad to hear you so thoroughly enjoy the service, location, spa, and restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!