“World-class”

Ranked #2 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“World-class”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our honeymoon.

The airport pick-up was fantastic, we were met by a uniformed porter who took us and our luggage to the glimmering black BMW 7 series, which was waiting for us directly outside the arrivals area. The uniformed driver was so smart - he looked like a sailor in his immaculate white suit and hat! - and was very polite and friendly as we drove the 40 minute ride to the hotel.

On arrival we were met by several hotel staff who greeted us and gave us some welcome gifts, before being taken directly up to our room for in-room check-in. This process was prompt and efficient. Each floor has a butler and we were introduced to ours, who was very friendly and helpful.

The room was immaculate and whilst decorated in a traditional (grand) style, it didn't feel outdated or anything other than luxurious. The bathroom was huge, with a large bath and separate shower / wet room.

As it was our honeymoon, we received various complimentary gifts throughout our stay, including wine, chocolates and a beautiful collection of flowers. The view from the room down to the river was incredible, and I was able to take some great long exposure shots at night.

A regular (pretty much on-demand) hotel ferry service operates between the hotel and the nearby SkyTrain station. Even the ferry is amazing - it looks like an old traditional Thai house!

The only downside was that literally everyone was dressed incredibly smart - at breakfast, during the day and at night. In fact, the hotel requests guests do not dress in shorts or tshirts after 6pm. We don't dress scruffily, but after 2 weeks in very laid back 5* beach hotels, we were comfortable wearing casual clothing, whereas everyone else was in Armani and Prada - even to breakfast, so we did feel a little out of place at times.

The spa is fantastic (you get a room larger than most London apartments!) and well worth the money.

Our return trip to the airport in the hotel's BMW was again perfect. We were met at the airport by a MO porter, who took us and our bags to the check-in desk, checked us in and walked us through to the fast-track security area. We didn't have to do a thing! Totally fantastic!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed with friends for 3 nights, the airport pick up is worth the extra expense. They go out of their way to help.
We asked for information on the train to Chaing Mai, they even picked up the tickets from the rail station for us.
Great rooms, food and pool area.
Will be back soon.

• Stayed May 2013
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Vetco

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time in Bangkok with your friends and enjoyed the legendary Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok service. Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another exceptional experience at “La Grande Dame”.

Sincerely yours,
Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is my first time staying at the Mandarin Oriental. Normally I like to check out the brand new hotels and hop around, but I think after this experience, the MO in BKK is where I would stay from now on every time I come to Bangkok.

The hotel is older, but has a serene and quiet understated comfortable feel, not outwardly ritzy and glamorous but indisputably high end. Every little detail, from the appointments in the room, to the service staff, is geared to make the guest comfortable. The facility on the other side of the river is great, the gym is superb and much better equipped than most hotel gymn, the Thai restaurant on the river is a must try. The pools are nice, although the big round pool look very old fashioned. The quiet shallow pool looks like a river in the forest. Although this pool is next to the restaurant and I couldn't get rid of the flies.

Location wise, I wish there are a bit more food option around this area within walking distance, or a small cafe in the lobby where I can get a simple snack (there's a dessert counter). But the food at the hotel is amazing.

All in all, it's by far the best hotel in bangkok, and I am going to book my next trip in the hotel as soon as I finish typing this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear mlee1111

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. We truly appreciate your compliments about our colleagues, fitness center and culinary delights. We are delighted to hear that ‘La Grande Dame’ has become your “new favorite hotel in Bangkok” and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warmest personal regards,
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is our third visit to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Bangkok, and on our return visits we felt like we were coming home. The staff in all parts of the hotel greeted us by name and any request for help was dealt with efficiently. We like the location of the hotel and find it interesting to watch the river traffic; it is wonderful to sit by the river having breakfast but even more pretty having dinner watching the beautifully lit boats passing by. The food in all the restaurants was superb and so elegantly presented. The shopping malls are very conveniently located to the hotel, particularly as the hotel boat will take you to most hotels and River City. We found the hotel's "Arrive in Style" service very helpful, to be met at the aircraft on arrival and steered through the maize of Bangkok Airport to waiting hotel transport was excellent.

Room Tip: We feel that higher floors nearer the river are better for views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Irene B

Thank you for this fabulous review! We are delighted to hear you have had such positive experiences with our “Arrive in Style” service and at our restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back “home” for a fourth visit, in the very near future! Once again, thank you for staying at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Sincerely yours,
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 25, 2013

2 nights stay, Monday- Wednesday, Mid May
BAD things first
(1) On the service directory, it mentioned that there is free shuttle boat to the shopping mall River City. When I approached hotel pier to ask, I was told that actually the hotel stopped this service already. The boat is belongings to the mall and I will have to wait for half and hour.
(2) On the back of hotel internet password paper, there are some lines explaining the dress code in the hotel. It specificly mentioned shorts and scaddles are not allowed for gentlemen after 6 p.m.;even presented at the lobby. I will have to double check with reception before i decide what to wear when i get out. The reception stated that it will be okay if just past by. Understand that this is a high end hotel, but it will still have to cope with the location. I cannot imagine how i can go out with long pants in Bangkok summer time; and you cannot expect everyone will bring not only shorts to Bangkok.
(3) I was invited to attend a special cocktail that was held by the hotel management once a week. I missed it since i did not make it back to the hotel on time. I asked if i can exchange it as breakfast since i know the cocktail serve food as well. I was just trying and expected being declined.
The aboves are very minor issue, but just a bit touch up or modification to the collerals or print out materials will be a good move to avoid any unpresent experience.

GOOD things to share
(1) Everyone is so nice, with great smile
(2) Since real key is used, there is a practice to have concierge to keep the room key when i went out. I was often recognized when i return to take my key, not even mentioning my name or room number. Very Impressive.
(3) I MUST highlight the restaurant - Sala Rim Naam. The lunch buffet is highly recommended. Very traditional thai food in high quality. Reasonable price with satisfying variety of food selections. Only one thing to remind - Most of the food are spicy, and some are burning. If you love thai food and can take spicy food. It is a MUST go, even you are not staying in the hotel.
(4) Lots of variety of fruits available on complimentary as amenity. Very very friendly act, saving time to buy from supermarket.

Recommend to go: Yes
Suggestion: Must try out one of the restaurant. I only tried two since i did not have much time

Room Tip: Request for rooms facing river. It looks so good regarding day or night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fake N
Dear Fake N,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am please to know how much you enjoyed your time at ‘La Grande Dame’ and that you are planning a return visit in the future. I have taken note of your comments regarding the service directory and internet connection. My apologies for this inconvenience and rest assured we will rectify this.

Overall, it seems you particularly enjoyed the service levels and personal recognition during your stay. I have shared your comments with our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback regarding the overall ambiance and your experience at Sala Rim Naam. Please let me know when your plans bring you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ as I would be delighted to assist to make your future visits even more fabulous.

Warmest personal regards,
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was here for a five days offsite meeting with my fellow colleagues from across the South East Asia region. This visit was my 2nd to Bangkok after my honeymoon trip five years earlier. As previously I stayed in the Sukhumvit area, coming to the Mandarin Oriental is indeed a different experience. It is more serene and very ideal for those who likes to get away from the megacities hustle and bustle.

I shared the room with my friend but still it is very spacious for 2 people. The view was gorgeous at night as our window faced directly to the Chao Praya river. The boat service was something new to me, ferrying us back and forth to the meeting rooms across the river and at night: the wonderful spa experience and the award winning Mandarin Oriental Spa.

Not only across the river, the uniquely decorated boat also took us to other hotels located on the riverside for those who wants to dine outside. The boat service is only available for hotel guests only.

Breakfast was excellent everyday, having to eat them just on the riverside and enjoying the morning sub and breeze. I highly recommend this hotel for both business or pleasure. Last but not least, the hospitality of the staffs are splendid. I sure will stay here again on my next visit to Bangkok.

Room Tip: Choose the one facing the Chao Praya River, it looks splendid at night :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank iniferry
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear iniferry

Thank you for sharing detailed feedback with us following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to read how much you appreciated your time at “La Grande Dame” and your return visit to Bangkok. I am pleased that you enjoyed the exceptional ambiance, culinary delights and the award winning Oriental Spa.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at “La Grande Dame”.

Sincerely
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Next year, my husband celebrates his 50th anniversary staying at this legendary establishment - even before the famous "Mr Kurt" commenced his tenure! But I assure you that our repeat visits are not for sentiments sake. The Oriental has earned it's reputation, and does not rest on it's laurels today. Stay more than a day or so, and the Room Service people remember how you like your morning tea service (with cold milk please), the staff at breakfast, how you like your coffee (with hot milk on the side) and the wonderful elevator man knows which floor your room is on..... Just little details, yes, but ones that other properties seem not to think are important - they focus on the bigger stuff, but The Oriental gets is ALL right, all the time, as far as we're concerned. We love arriving and being greeted by a smiling "Welcome home", and the enveloping lemongrass fragrance of the lobby, and are always that little bit sad to leave. Ahh, but that gives us the opportunity to plan our return, and our next visit will be as splendid as all the previous ones, of that we are confident.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LizandAlb
Dear LizandAlb

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time during your return stay with us, and that you have been experiencing immaculate and impeccable service, consistently over the years. I will certainly share your kind words with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your husband’s 50th anniversary celebration at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Best regards