“Just superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
London
“Just superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for three nights and loved everything about it. From the stunning foyer, with its fabulous displays of orchids to the pagoda-shaped ferry to take you to the spa across the river, it was just special. Rooms that were really well thought out, with lots of nice touches and treats. Charming, attentive staff throughout. When our dinner guest turned up in shorts (banned along with flipflops and backpacks in the evening), he was issued with some jogging pants with no fuss at all! We enjoyed the lunches and dinners that we had by the river terrace, especially the fish dishes.

The riverside location is a terrific asset and you are one minute from a ferry terminal from where you can get to anywhere along the river - by far the best way to travel in Bankok where the traffic is horrendous.

The pool fringed with tropical vegetation was lovely and we never had any difficulty at all in securing loungers or pool service.

3 Thank BGPLondon
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear BGPLondon

Thank you for posting an excellent review regarding your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday experience with us and that our team has succeeded in providing you with exceptional service that Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok is renowned for. When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know; I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Warm regards,
Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Greenwood, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you can splurge in any Thai hotel, this is the one lodging experience to go for it! Everything about this hotel is a sublime experience with the most superior Thai service and attention to detail that one can imagine. Not to be missed are the cooking lessons and the Thai dancing during a perfectly prepared dinner in the excellent restaurant. This is world class luxury bar none!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RW P
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at Mandarin oriental for 6 nights for the 3d time. It is more than 10 years since last time.
I stayed at the Penisula recently and I will try to compare the two hotels.
The service at Mandarin Oriental is exceptional. The anticipate my wishes and really do their uotmost to help me. They are very friendly.The butler at our floor did his outmost to help us connect the computor (mac) to the TV, and finally he succeded. Many would have given up, but he did not. I had my birthday during the stay and they knew and brought me a cake for celebration.
The Penisula is newer, no butler, less staff. Even if Oriental is older, You do not really notice as things are very well kept. Breakfast was more plentiful at the Peninsula.
Both hotels are excellent, Penisula for a more modern hotel Oriental for more and very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view. I think river view is preferrable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric060
Dear Eric060

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. It is indeed delightful to read that you enjoyed the exceptional butler service and the breakfast along the River of Kings.
We look forward to welcoming you for your fourth visit.

Kind regards
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel used to be rated the best hotel in the world however we are now very far from it... I used to enjoy staying there but will surely not return anymore, as Bangkok has other much better great hotels.
The service is not friendly and inefficient. The breakfast buffet is very poor, not fit for a 5 star hotel. Impossible to get a fresh crispy bread roll. Cheeses are leftovers.
The famous Lord Jim restaurant is run by an incompetent unfriendly manager.
The only good restaurant in this hotel is the Normandie which is a stark contrast to the other restaurants.
I would surely not recommend this hotel to anyone expecting a 5star service or facilities.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Simon400
Hopton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed for three nights and then two at the beginning and end of our Thai holiday and think of the Oriental as our second home. The attention to detail is superb and I cannot think why anyone would stay anywhere else in Bangkok. The river view rooms are splendid with very comfortable beds and all the facilities that one would want.

Everything is done in a beautiful understated way with the lovely smiles of genuinely interested and interesting staff. Thank you for making my wife's 59th birthday so special.

Room Tip: All rooms that I have stayed in are lovely
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Crofts52

Thank you very much for your superb review on Tripadvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you had a fabulous stay and you consider Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok as your ‘second home’. I am also pleased to hear that you had a fantastic experience celebrating your wife’s 59th Birthday with us.

We really look forward to welcoming you back to “La Grande Dame” in the very near future.

Sincerely yours
Perth. West Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I love this hotel and its location,yes it is a victim of its own success and the people queue up to eat here but that just adds to the ambiance. We tried to eat one night at the BBQ on the river at 7.30 but couldnt get in untill 9.30 .It was worth waiting for let me tell you. Weddings just go on all week at the Authors wing and its just such a good feeling to be somewhere people are celebrating one of the happiest days of their lives.We had a valentines dinner at Lord Jims and it was a beautiful night and enjoyed by many.The set menu came out at whatever speed you wanted it and the service was brilliant and not in your face.We did the four hour cooking school over the river and the chef running it deserves his own television show he is very well spoken and very knowledgeable about thai cuisine and its history .He seems to have a support staff of about 8 assistants and coffee is served on demand and the food ( I think) we prepared was delicious.One of the Pork dishes we prepped had a three hour cook time so I am not sure we ate what we cooked.I will certainly be doing that again.The other three people in the cooking school werent hotel guests but they were nice folk from San Francisco and we all had good fun.
I do stay in other hotels around the Mandarin hotel on the River but the MO is my special occasion hotel.The room Butler forgot my/our welcome drink but two days later he did deliver.I tend to agree with other reviewers the WiFi should be free at least in the rooms.We run a $300 per night hotel in Australia and we supply free wifi.I can tell you 300GB is $80 or unlimited $300 so its not expensive ,even bed and breakfasts in Taiwan at 2 stars have free wifi, if starbucks can do it surely The MO can, My only complaint.
The MO goes the extra mile to make you happy

2 Thank lindsay56
Dear lindsay56

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to read how much you appreciated your time at “La Grande Dame”. I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the romantic Valentines Dinner at Lord Jim’s, and the authentic Thai cooking school experience offered by our highly knowledgeable and passionate culinary team. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback, I have shared this with our management team for further consideration

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another ‘Classy and Elegant’ experience at “La Grande Dame”.

Warmest personal regards
Belfast, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at the Mandarin Oriental. On our first night we had booked in to their authentic Thai restaurant and the combination of an amazing feast followed by beautifully stylised Thai Dancers really made us feel we had arrived in the Orient.
The hotel interiors are beautifully designed, every detail is perfect, right down to the elegant silk outfits worn by the staff. The spa is a tropical haven, I highly recommend relaxing after a day sightseeing with a massage, it was pure heaven.
The Mandarin Oriental lives up to it's reputation as one of the best hotels in the world. For sheer luxury and attention to every detail, the Oriental can't be rivaled.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawnzini
Dear Dawnzini

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Sala Rim Naam with its opulent Thai culinary delights and unique classical Thai dance show. I have shared your comments with our team and they are very happy to read your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to “La Grande Dame” in the very near future.

Kind regards,