4 people are viewing this hotel
$857
Free cancellation until 10/30/21
$858
Free cancellation until 10/29/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
FindHotel
$738
Free cancellation until 10/30/21
Hotels.com$857
CheapTickets$857
eDreams$858
5,182 results
All reviews bamboo bar across the river floor butler author's lounge china house sala rim naam lord jim best hotels in the world garden wing thai restaurant butler service view of the river chao phraya river hotel boat pool staff luxury hotel amazing hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I were married at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok eleven years ago. Khun Tippy orchestrated the ceremony beautifully, helping us to plan the wedding from the United States. Thank you wherever you may be!

I surprised my wife with a return to the Oriental Hotel this year for our anniversary. I booked over the phone and the agent was extremely helpful, noting in the reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary.

I booked a room, spa treatment, dinner and brunch with the in-laws through a combination of phone and website. It was extremely easy. Emails were returned in a flash, confirming reservations at the restaurants.

On the day of arrival, we were greeted in typical Oriental Hotel fashion (i.e. staff opening doors with a smile, Jasmine leis for each of us...). We came to the room to find chilled wine and a little cake that said "Happy Anniversary". After relaxing for a bit in our upgraded room, we made our way to the spa across the river. The experience was amazing! Thai classical massage with an exfoliating rub.

We happened to be staying on a Tuesday night, so we were invited to a reception at the Author's Lounge (try to stay a Tuesday night). We were treated to drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The theme was from the Thai restaurant, so Thai classical dancers made their way through the crowd as we ate and drank. We had dinner at Le Normandie overlooking the Chao Praya River. We then returned to our room to find the turn down service had placed a heart of roses and another special note to wish us a Happy Anniversary.

All in all, this was an amazing stay that could not have occurred anywhere besides the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. Add free wifi to everything else I have mentioned and the experience is unforgettable ;-)

Thank you to all the staff at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Bangkok!

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank NateeP
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Let's get something straight from the start. This is a beautiful property, very well looked after and has first class views of the river. The rooms are impeccable and the old wing is a treat to the senses.
However the "best hotel in the world" sadly not! I really wanted it to be...I love the city and it would be nice to actually have something come up to your expectations. So what let's the Oriental down? The service is average by world standards and actually poor by south east Asian hotel standards. No one calls you by your name, that privilege is meant for the very rich locals or the celebrities. The normal paying customers get a very impersonal welcome to the hotel. The managers went past me a number of times while I waited for someone to sit me down or serve me in the lobby. I guess the fact that I was dressed to explore the city and not in my Sunday best might have caused them to overlook me...more than once! The butlers on the other hand are excellent! It's a little disconcerting how the staff can be more charming than the higher paid managers...

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank ajayHoChiMinh
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The service here was top notch. The elevator man knew my name from my first elevator ride to the last. The butler made amazing things happen and noticed our likes/dislikes. The spa was very good and they upgraded our services for free. The drinks were very good to great. The food was good to average at the buffet to VERY bland at the Terrace Restaurant. The rooms are growing tired and dated. The carpet was stained and the color scheme is the brown and blue thing that was all over in Y2K. We paid for a big upgraded room with a patio that is advertised as overlooking the water, well, it is if you crane out of the balcony, it is more accurately overlooking the car park. No drinks on the patio as I fancied in my mind.
We had a very poor experience with a female concierge, she was distracted and kept walking away and she sent us to a restaurant that could accommodate multiple tour buses at any given moment, we walked out. We had much better experience with a more senior Concierge.
There is a dress code of no shorts in the lobby after 6 pm but I love that, it keeps things special.
Great location and very handy boat service. Wish it took you to Peninsula.
Beautiful BMWs for airport transfer.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sammo50
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have recently stayed 3 nights at the MO and my stay could not be better.
I'm one of those frequent five star hotel customer always harder to satisfy but the MO has really been in line with my expectaction.
My room (a classic) was located at the 7th floor and was definitely ok: large, big marble bathroom with separate huge shower and bathtub, big bedroom, extremely clean. Soundproofing definitely ok, I couldn't hear a voice during my whole stay.
But the best things have been: 1) the amazing scents in every area of the hotel, from the lobby (full of flowers) to the room corridors. 2) the service. Everyone really go out of their way to assist you, from portier to the receptionist, from the waiters to your butler. The number of the employees appears to be very high, so there is always someone ready to assist you in every area of the hotel. Breakfast definitely ok, everyday they leave you fresh fruit and many bottles of water into you room. On our last day, we left the baggage after the check out at the reception for a final walk (since our flight was late in the eveving) but we were surprised by a monsoon rain. We came back to the hotel completely wet, I asked the reception for a changing room and, in 2 minutes, they put at our disposal another classic room at no extra charge for a short shower. Really a 5 star service. There are also some other little gems I discovererd during my stay (ex.: a jogging track close to the spa) and I'm sure that anyone that can stay at this hotel will find himself in the same situation.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank doledes
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have travelled the world and stayed at many 5 star hotels. This was among the best. The service is the best I have had at any hotel. The rooms are spacious, bright and well appointed. Closet space was great. The breakfast buffet was among the best I have had. Spa and gym were great. Very friendly staff. You feel secluded from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok here.

Trip type: Traveled with family