2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.com$304
Trip.com$304
Booking.com$304
Priceline$304
Travelocity$304
Destinia.com$504
5,171 results
All reviews bamboo bar across the river floor butler author's lounge china house sala rim naam lord jim best hotels in the world garden wing thai restaurant butler service view of the river chao phraya river hotel boat pool staff luxury hotel amazing hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed September 1, 2011

There truly is no way to describe fully the experience at the Oriental. First, it is located down a doudy side street...so your first impression is "where in the world am I going?? This can't be the finest hotel in the world! However, the minute you step from your taxi into the lobby, your world changes. You are truly and uniquely in the "womb" from which you will never wish to emerge. You don't stand at a check in line...you are immediately escorted to your room where you sit down, relax, and speak with a personal representative and sign a couple papers and ask questions. Every floor is constantly monitored...not to check up on you...but to overhear if there is anything whatsoever you might need. Example, make a casual remark to your spouse how lovely the flowers are in the hall...and you will soon find a complementary bouquet delivered to your room at no cost. Mention that the Internet speed in your room is a bit slow and an IT person will show up immediately to tweek your connection. The food, location, and personal service is beyond belief. All watched over by the revered "gran dame" 90+ years old who has managed the hotel since WWII and is still in charge today. Among the luxury hotels in Bangkok, you simply will never want to stay elsewhere. Final point...go online to the Oriental web site and at times you can get rates that are much less (like 50%) from normal rates.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank denverjohn1
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We were so pleased to return to MOBK, it must be our 6th or 7th stay in a few years.
The hotel truelly feels like you are returning home, you feel a sense of relaxation and ease here that other hotels cant replicate.
Staff remember you and what you like and dont like, food is just heavely, as are views from the well appointed rooms.
This will be our trice yearly choice when we are in Bangkok, why go anywhere else when this feels like home away from home

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Returned to the Oriental having had a wonderful stay here in 2002 and a big fan of the MO chain. This was the first time I had stayed in an MO hotel and had a couple of disappointments.

First, I checked in and was taken to my room in something of a rush as I had an appointment I needed to get to. I had asked for a riverside deluxe room and was given a splendid room on the 10th floor with a wonderful full view onto the river. It was only when I retuned a few hours later i noticed the smell of tobacco and saw the ash trays and noticed that i had been given a smoking room. I was immediately changed to a room on the 6th floor which ( my fault I guess!) I did accept little too quickly. The river view was nothing like that I had been originally given and the floor and the room generally seemed to be a little more in need of refurbishment.

I then thought i would plug my ipod into the music system. First, there was no cable for the pod in the room so I had to get one brought up. In then took three people to explain to me how to operate the system. Most hotels have a simple dock these days fro mp3 players and this is something which the MO group should really look at.

However, once i had got past those issues which were annoyances , I could have very few complaints about the level of service received. The helpfulness and courtesy of the staff is really top class and the stay became a really enjoyable one. The food in the restaurants I went to was excellent. As I got into my car to depart to my next destination one of the porters came rushing out and told to me to wait because I had left my iphone charger in the room and they brought it down to me - that does not happen at many hotels.

So, although i do think that some of the floors do not need a bit of refurbishment, I am happy that I stayed at the MO and would certainly stay there again.

Room tip: Make sure you make it clear if you want a non smoking room.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a charming hotel by the river. We stayed here for two nights. I enjoyed the hotel. The location though was poor, but it depends what you want to do in Bangkok. If you want to go shopping, then there are better hotels to stay at. But the view of the river was nice.

The Thai restaurant was superb, with live entertainment. I liked the breakfast. I enjoyed the general vibe of the hotel.

Would I stay here again? No. Not even if I won the lottery. And you definately need a bob or two to stay here.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

So I just left BKK after a few days on biz/pleasure. Been there 3 times prior and stayed at the Pen, so figured I'd check out it's number one competitor (in many ways) across the Chao Phraya. All in all, a great hotel. Superb common areas and the location is pretty good. Not great, but good. The room on the other hand needs some work. Indeed with a city full of 5 star hotels and chock full of "best of" awards, the room was underwhelming. I had a Deluxe room with a river view. Bottom line is that I thought it was small. The fixtures and the bathroom don't really compare (well) to the Pen and since I'll be back soon (staying at the Shangri and then the new Siam Kempinski after a few days) I'll be able to truly make a comparison. Nonetheless it is a great hotel. the crown Prince (or King?) of Bahrain was arriving literally when I was leaving so that tells you something. And having the boat taxi to the BTS is invaluable. KEEP IN MIND THAT BKK TRAFFIC IS AMONG THE WORST IN THE WORLD! YOU WILL (!!!) SIT IN TRAFFIC FOR AN HOUR TO MOVE 1KM.! SO BEING CLOSE TO THE BTS IS WITHOUT VALUE. Sorry, but i wasted 2 hours to barely move a block and I hope that now that some of the political unrest has calmed down that BKK can do something about their abysmal roads as it will KILL it's move to the next level. So, would I stay here again? Yes. But would i prefer for try out elsewhere? For sure. Oh, and the charge for internet is outrageous. Given the competition, Mandarin you need to change or you'll business from people like myself that can go to the Shangri, Kempinski, or many other top-notch hotels and get it for free, with as good if not a better location.

Room tip: go for at least the deluxe room. The river wing is best.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business