3 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com$304
Priceline$304
Destinia.com$505
5,171 results
All reviews bamboo bar across the river floor butler author's lounge china house sala rim naam lord jim best hotels in the world garden wing thai restaurant butler service view of the river chao phraya river hotel boat pool staff luxury hotel amazing hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We were so pleased to return to MOBK, it must be our 6th or 7th stay in a few years.
The hotel truelly feels like you are returning home, you feel a sense of relaxation and ease here that other hotels cant replicate.
Staff remember you and what you like and dont like, food is just heavely, as are views from the well appointed rooms.
This will be our trice yearly choice when we are in Bangkok, why go anywhere else when this feels like home away from home

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Returned to the Oriental having had a wonderful stay here in 2002 and a big fan of the MO chain. This was the first time I had stayed in an MO hotel and had a couple of disappointments.

First, I checked in and was taken to my room in something of a rush as I had an appointment I needed to get to. I had asked for a riverside deluxe room and was given a splendid room on the 10th floor with a wonderful full view onto the river. It was only when I retuned a few hours later i noticed the smell of tobacco and saw the ash trays and noticed that i had been given a smoking room. I was immediately changed to a room on the 6th floor which ( my fault I guess!) I did accept little too quickly. The river view was nothing like that I had been originally given and the floor and the room generally seemed to be a little more in need of refurbishment.

I then thought i would plug my ipod into the music system. First, there was no cable for the pod in the room so I had to get one brought up. In then took three people to explain to me how to operate the system. Most hotels have a simple dock these days fro mp3 players and this is something which the MO group should really look at.

However, once i had got past those issues which were annoyances , I could have very few complaints about the level of service received. The helpfulness and courtesy of the staff is really top class and the stay became a really enjoyable one. The food in the restaurants I went to was excellent. As I got into my car to depart to my next destination one of the porters came rushing out and told to me to wait because I had left my iphone charger in the room and they brought it down to me - that does not happen at many hotels.

So, although i do think that some of the floors do not need a bit of refurbishment, I am happy that I stayed at the MO and would certainly stay there again.

Room tip: Make sure you make it clear if you want a non smoking room.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a charming hotel by the river. We stayed here for two nights. I enjoyed the hotel. The location though was poor, but it depends what you want to do in Bangkok. If you want to go shopping, then there are better hotels to stay at. But the view of the river was nice.

The Thai restaurant was superb, with live entertainment. I liked the breakfast. I enjoyed the general vibe of the hotel.

Would I stay here again? No. Not even if I won the lottery. And you definately need a bob or two to stay here.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

So I just left BKK after a few days on biz/pleasure. Been there 3 times prior and stayed at the Pen, so figured I'd check out it's number one competitor (in many ways) across the Chao Phraya. All in all, a great hotel. Superb common areas and the location is pretty good. Not great, but good. The room on the other hand needs some work. Indeed with a city full of 5 star hotels and chock full of "best of" awards, the room was underwhelming. I had a Deluxe room with a river view. Bottom line is that I thought it was small. The fixtures and the bathroom don't really compare (well) to the Pen and since I'll be back soon (staying at the Shangri and then the new Siam Kempinski after a few days) I'll be able to truly make a comparison. Nonetheless it is a great hotel. the crown Prince (or King?) of Bahrain was arriving literally when I was leaving so that tells you something. And having the boat taxi to the BTS is invaluable. KEEP IN MIND THAT BKK TRAFFIC IS AMONG THE WORST IN THE WORLD! YOU WILL (!!!) SIT IN TRAFFIC FOR AN HOUR TO MOVE 1KM.! SO BEING CLOSE TO THE BTS IS WITHOUT VALUE. Sorry, but i wasted 2 hours to barely move a block and I hope that now that some of the political unrest has calmed down that BKK can do something about their abysmal roads as it will KILL it's move to the next level. So, would I stay here again? Yes. But would i prefer for try out elsewhere? For sure. Oh, and the charge for internet is outrageous. Given the competition, Mandarin you need to change or you'll business from people like myself that can go to the Shangri, Kempinski, or many other top-notch hotels and get it for free, with as good if not a better location.

Room tip: go for at least the deluxe room. The river wing is best.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We had booked a Premier room in the 'old' part of the building overlooking the river.
When we arrived we were offered a upgrade which seemed good, but when we visited the room we felt it had less charm and it had a 'parking lot' view. It was very big and oppulent though. We then declined that offer and were given the room we had booked.

We later found out that we were the ONLY guests in that entire 'old' part of the building (as they were doing spring cleaning on it.)
I write this to let you know about the exceptional lenghts this hotel would go to to give you great service; they simply do not 'flinch' at providing a dedicated floor manager/butler for TWO guests only in the entire building.
This exceptional service was a common theme during our stay.

Room was great ...split level, colonial theme; views were great; fresh flowers, fruit baskets ...etc. etc.

The spa is pricey but very very nice (charming regular little boats across the river take you there, and is by itself a nice experience).

We cannot comment on the restaurant(s) as we did not go there. Wanted to try 'Chao' but that was closed in rainy season.