“Elegent but aging star”

Montien Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #379 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 10, 2013

5* property will all you would expect anywhere in the world but the facility is starting to show its age and needs a bit of spucing up.

Location is great and the staff are super but their pricing policies are a bit out of date as well. They charge for everything (read internet, extra guest, etc.) Most thai hotels generally give you at least 1 bottle of local water for free given the quality of the tap stuff.......

They also had a bit of bait and switch with a extra low price for a room but small print one person and the 2nd turned out to be almost as expensive as the first......

Room service food quality was a bit below average for what I would expect in thailand

TV stations very limited as well which is not what i would expect in a high end hotel....

Staff super friendly but i expect that at most/all thai hotels

Room Tip: King high floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Montien Hotel Bangkok

Reviewed January 9, 2013

we had a wonderful 4 night stay at the montien surawong. the hotel obviously has had its days, but what makes it all up was the service by the staffs, particularly the FNB staffs, and the generous breakfast buffet.

the front desk set-up is still of the old style, a long stretch of counter with different sections serving registration, concierge, information and cashiering separately. the registration staffs will tell you to speak to the concierge staffs (who were just standing few steps next to them) should you wish to arrange a taxi.

the check-in took about 30 minutes, which was not so impressive in view of the many staffs behind the counter and not so many guests in the lobby.

the hotel did seem to run down. the slippers provided in the room upon arrival had been used by previous guest(s) as they were dirty. we put these used slippers on top of the wardrobe, and when we c/out, the cashier asked us whether or not we had taken the slippers to our custody..:) SMH..

but those short comings were easily forgotten, as we had fabulous FNB services through out stay.

first, the manner the room service orders were presented was of classic; food carrier with warm box and table-trolley with nice cutlery set-upon top. the food itself was good.

and the daily breakfast was a treat. we loved the pastries. and we love the old-style coffee shop interior, with elevated wooden floor, wooden partition painted in white combined with green-colored cushion, low ceiling with hanging lamp above the table.

old style but appropriate.

in general, the hotel is old, but the maintenance team obviously have done great job ensuring all things to be properly operational.

and of course the door-man was super friendly.

Room Tip: get a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at the Montien as it was recommended by the fair we were visiting. The hotel is outdated, the lobby, rooms bathrooms need urgent renovation, the shower didnt work at all.
Breakfast is pathetic and the staff at the breakfast area have forgotten to smile and be courteous to guests.

The only saving grace is the location, lots of shopping and nightlife just as you step out.

Room Tip: Many other hotels in this area. Dont bother staying here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ashwini_Oza
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was shocked by the lowering of standards since my last visit. I had a small room which was tidy but not clean. The bathroom had dirt in the corners of the floor, and the wall tiles needed re grouting or scrubbing clean.
The advertised WIFI is not working so yuou have to buy expensive cards to keep in touch with the web.
A disappointing stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Graham H
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I spent my last night in Bangkok after a three week trip to Thailand at the Montien. I chose this hotel due to its close location to Pat Pong and the night markets - my last 24 hours in Thailand was all about shopping and the Montien offered all I needed in way of night markets, proximity to the BTS to get to where else I wanted to go.

I have friends who have been staying here for years, so I knew to expect that the hotel was getting old but I was still surprised at just how old and jaded the place is getting. Our room was up on the 7th floor and unfortunatley was not one of the ones facing the front of the hotel - so our view was pretty much non-existant - but for one night that was not an issue for me.

The greeting at the front door was warm and welcoming and check in was as efficient as any hotel check-in in Thailand (i.e. never all that quick). Being given only room key was odd, but again as I was staying with my teenage son it was not an issue for us as we didn't plan to be out anywhere unless together. The room itself was about average in size for a thai hotel - quite roomy and spacious. It was clean and I liked that the a/c was able to be left on as it wasn't controlled by a room card - this was a huge bonus as all the other hotels we stayed at the a/c was only activated when in the room and there is nothing worse than coming back to a hot room after a hot day out and about.

The bathroom was also clean and roomy enough, but this is were age started to show with the bathroom door beginning to fall to bits. I would think it would be fairly easy to replace such things and it really would make a difference to how the room is perceived. As for the corridors - maybe some new carpet - but other than that, well they really do show up the age of the hotel.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and was excellent - with a large selection of both western and asian food avaialble - the egg station was fantastic and the chef did a great job of an omlette. Someone earlier stated the breakfast ends at 9am but that certainly wasn't the case during our visit - breakfast ran all the way through to 11am, so not sure about that review.

Yes the hotel is across the road from Pat Pong night markets, which can be a little sleezy, but the hotel itself is actually set back a bit from the main road and once you passed through the boom gates at the front of the hotel you weren't bothered by hawkers - once outside the boom gates you are open game - but that is all of Thailand, not just Silom. There are plenty of places to eat in the general vicinity and the Sala Daeng BTS station is a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel.

We also had a midnight flight home and on enquiring about late checkout was offered the option to pay half room rate to keep the room through until 6pm. This option was fine for me but I know many hotels will offer free late check-out so keep in mind as my late check out cost me 1500 bhat.

I probably won't stay at the Montien again to be honest - after this trip staying in Silom and Sukhumvit - I have decided I prefer to be down on the river, or over in Sukhumvit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melisa L
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of 5 spent two nights in this hotel and we found it very pleasant. The rooms (adjoining) and bathrooms were clean and comfortable and the food, which we ordered from room service on the first night, was delicious as well as being of generous portions. The breakfast was also excellent. We were concerned about staying so close to Patpong with small children (I had read comments that the hotel is similar to a brothel) but my apprehension was unfounded. We did not observe any "brothel-like" behaviour or displays. Even the shanagans of the market did not arouse suspicion in my two under 10 year olds and my 16 year old found it incredibly entertaining.

We did not go to the pool or spend any time in the hotel bar / lounge so I am unable to comment on that.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the doorman has your back when being approached, outside the hotel, by unscrupulous taxi's and vendors. The level of English spoken, by staff, was quite acceptable.

The hotel is centrally located and allowed a quick tuk-tuk ride into the magical city of Bangkok.

Some points to note:
* The windows in the rooms do not open. Should you wish to have a room, with opening windows, this must be requested in advance.
* They are not kidding when they say that breakfast ends at 09h00. We arrived at 08h55 and the clearing up process commenced promptly at 09h00.
* Ask the doorman to arrange any taxi / tuk-tuk rides and sight-seeing trips in order not to get ripped off.
* Keep a close eye on your children whilst in Bangkok.
* Depending on the traffic, a journey from the airport into Bangkok central could take as long as three hours. Have drinks and snacks on hand. We eventually left our taxi and walked the last kilometre to the hotel. It was far quicker to walk the final stretch than go by taxi.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I first stayed at the Montien way back in the early 1970's and hadn't been back since. I must say that, after 40 years, nothing has changed and I don't mean that in a complimentary way! It is like stepping back in time. Registration is slow and bureaucratic. Only one room key is issued even though we were two adults staying in a deluxe room. Every guest is issued with a tiny scrap of paper, which is supposed to be your 'identification' whenever using guest services. In-room WiFi is unheard of. Room decor is very dated, so are the restaurants. The pool looks as if it hasn't been emptied or cleaned since the 1970's. On the positive side, the location is excellent if you want to be in the thick of things. The staff are very friendly, but I think this is second-nature to the Thais.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer North Wing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends