“Poor Standards”

Montien Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #379 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was shocked by the lowering of standards since my last visit. I had a small room which was tidy but not clean. The bathroom had dirt in the corners of the floor, and the wall tiles needed re grouting or scrubbing clean.
The advertised WIFI is not working so yuou have to buy expensive cards to keep in touch with the web.
A disappointing stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Graham H
There are newer reviews for Montien Hotel Bangkok

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I spent my last night in Bangkok after a three week trip to Thailand at the Montien. I chose this hotel due to its close location to Pat Pong and the night markets - my last 24 hours in Thailand was all about shopping and the Montien offered all I needed in way of night markets, proximity to the BTS to get to where else I wanted to go.

I have friends who have been staying here for years, so I knew to expect that the hotel was getting old but I was still surprised at just how old and jaded the place is getting. Our room was up on the 7th floor and unfortunatley was not one of the ones facing the front of the hotel - so our view was pretty much non-existant - but for one night that was not an issue for me.

The greeting at the front door was warm and welcoming and check in was as efficient as any hotel check-in in Thailand (i.e. never all that quick). Being given only room key was odd, but again as I was staying with my teenage son it was not an issue for us as we didn't plan to be out anywhere unless together. The room itself was about average in size for a thai hotel - quite roomy and spacious. It was clean and I liked that the a/c was able to be left on as it wasn't controlled by a room card - this was a huge bonus as all the other hotels we stayed at the a/c was only activated when in the room and there is nothing worse than coming back to a hot room after a hot day out and about.

The bathroom was also clean and roomy enough, but this is were age started to show with the bathroom door beginning to fall to bits. I would think it would be fairly easy to replace such things and it really would make a difference to how the room is perceived. As for the corridors - maybe some new carpet - but other than that, well they really do show up the age of the hotel.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and was excellent - with a large selection of both western and asian food avaialble - the egg station was fantastic and the chef did a great job of an omlette. Someone earlier stated the breakfast ends at 9am but that certainly wasn't the case during our visit - breakfast ran all the way through to 11am, so not sure about that review.

Yes the hotel is across the road from Pat Pong night markets, which can be a little sleezy, but the hotel itself is actually set back a bit from the main road and once you passed through the boom gates at the front of the hotel you weren't bothered by hawkers - once outside the boom gates you are open game - but that is all of Thailand, not just Silom. There are plenty of places to eat in the general vicinity and the Sala Daeng BTS station is a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel.

We also had a midnight flight home and on enquiring about late checkout was offered the option to pay half room rate to keep the room through until 6pm. This option was fine for me but I know many hotels will offer free late check-out so keep in mind as my late check out cost me 1500 bhat.

I probably won't stay at the Montien again to be honest - after this trip staying in Silom and Sukhumvit - I have decided I prefer to be down on the river, or over in Sukhumvit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melisa L
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of 5 spent two nights in this hotel and we found it very pleasant. The rooms (adjoining) and bathrooms were clean and comfortable and the food, which we ordered from room service on the first night, was delicious as well as being of generous portions. The breakfast was also excellent. We were concerned about staying so close to Patpong with small children (I had read comments that the hotel is similar to a brothel) but my apprehension was unfounded. We did not observe any "brothel-like" behaviour or displays. Even the shanagans of the market did not arouse suspicion in my two under 10 year olds and my 16 year old found it incredibly entertaining.

We did not go to the pool or spend any time in the hotel bar / lounge so I am unable to comment on that.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the doorman has your back when being approached, outside the hotel, by unscrupulous taxi's and vendors. The level of English spoken, by staff, was quite acceptable.

The hotel is centrally located and allowed a quick tuk-tuk ride into the magical city of Bangkok.

Some points to note:
* The windows in the rooms do not open. Should you wish to have a room, with opening windows, this must be requested in advance.
* They are not kidding when they say that breakfast ends at 09h00. We arrived at 08h55 and the clearing up process commenced promptly at 09h00.
* Ask the doorman to arrange any taxi / tuk-tuk rides and sight-seeing trips in order not to get ripped off.
* Keep a close eye on your children whilst in Bangkok.
* Depending on the traffic, a journey from the airport into Bangkok central could take as long as three hours. Have drinks and snacks on hand. We eventually left our taxi and walked the last kilometre to the hotel. It was far quicker to walk the final stretch than go by taxi.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I first stayed at the Montien way back in the early 1970's and hadn't been back since. I must say that, after 40 years, nothing has changed and I don't mean that in a complimentary way! It is like stepping back in time. Registration is slow and bureaucratic. Only one room key is issued even though we were two adults staying in a deluxe room. Every guest is issued with a tiny scrap of paper, which is supposed to be your 'identification' whenever using guest services. In-room WiFi is unheard of. Room decor is very dated, so are the restaurants. The pool looks as if it hasn't been emptied or cleaned since the 1970's. On the positive side, the location is excellent if you want to be in the thick of things. The staff are very friendly, but I think this is second-nature to the Thais.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer North Wing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Even though the hotel was fully booked (I booked very late), on my request the hotel management promised they would do everything to reserve a room at the Montien hotel in the city centre. Up to the last day before I arrived, I would have had to stay the first night in the Montien riverside. On arrival I discovered that the taxi from the airport to the hotel drove me tho the city center building.
A superbe service. Thanks a lot, I did not have to change location / rooms.
Very pleasant stay wiith friendley staff in this hotel. Breakfast facility also very good. A charming location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2012

i was in bangkok the perevios week,the hotel generaly was good,the disadvantage of is hotel:it is very old but the service was very good,the breakfast was very nice,the location was exelent.it was infront of patpong night market.totaly i recoment this hotel.

Room Tip: room in back side are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hamidreza293999
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We endured four nights here after my husband mistakenly booked this hotel rather than its sister hotel, the Montien Riverside Bangkok. We had dinner with a Thai friend who had just gotten married at the Riverside location, and it turns out he had made the same mistake while booking his wedding (but fortunately caught it in time.) So firstly, double and triple check your reservations if you are trying to book the Riverside location. And if you end up at this location, run away as fast as you can.

The hotel is old, old, old and still aging badly with each passing day. Nasty, musty, cigarette smells in rooms and hallways, pieces literally falling off the bathroom sink, and unwarranted blasts of nuclear hot water while showering. Beware of that hot water - you can really burn yourself. One of the excruciatingly slow elevators was out of order for the majority of our stay, and when it did work, it stopped four or five inches above the floor. I learned quickly to look before I stepped after nearly doing a face plant the first day. You can't walk out the door without hawkers bombarding you with wooden frogs, laser pointers, offers to drive you to a shopping mall, and various other things that no one needs.

The icing on the cake was my husband being pulled out of the cab to the airport at 4:30 am and accused of stealing a washcloth. Fortunately, he speaks enough Thai to ask the front desk clerk if he REALLY thought we would bother sneaking one of their raggedy towels out of the room before fleeing the country. The man backed off quickly, and we finally, mercifully got free of the wretched place.

We never tried the food, so I can't comment there other than to say why would you eat in a crappy hotel with all the amazing street food and great restaurants in Bangkok?

A mistake is one thing, but I can not fathom why anyone would stay here on purpose.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple