“trip to bangkok”

Pathumwan Princess Hotel
Ranked #53 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed in hotel begining of the month for one week . hotel is well situated for shopping .has an excellent travel desk . Hotel staff are very friendly and very helpful , rooms are very modern ,and spacious , we stayed on the 23rd floor with perfect views of the stadium . hotel was very quiet at night.Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices ,would recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the city
1  Thank sharoncolyer
There are newer reviews for Pathumwan Princess Hotel

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Cons:
First the bad stuff. We were late in to this hotel due to our plane being delayed and didn't get there till about 11 - 11.30 pm. It was obvious that they hadn't expected us to arrive and had given away the room. They then put us in another room and said that our room would be ready the next afternoon after 3 pm. After saying that wasn't good enough as we had paid for four nights which also included the days they then organised another room we had to move to in the morning.
They advertise free wi-fi in the room however this is a gimmick, as it is so slow (worse than dial up speed) you are forced to pay for faster internet. Out of the 5 hotels we stayed at in Thailand, this is the only one that did not have some computers set aside for guest use at reception. At a previous hotel when I wanted to use internet check in for a flight, they took my flight ticket and came back later with it all done, including printed off boarding passes. I needed to do this at this hotel too, however there are no internet computers for guests, and as it was in the evening when internet check in opened for our flight I was told it had to be done by the business centre which was of course closed and didn't open till 7 a.m. When I went there at 7 a.m it was still closed, with the girl arriving late then spending half an hour getting the room ready. When I asked her to check in our flight, she said it couldn't be done till 9 a.m as that is when the airline opened. Although I couldn't see what difference that made when you use the internet check in system, I came back at 9 a.m and was then told it would cost 150 baht for her to use the internet for 5 minutes to do it. Of course by this time there were only 4 seats not booked on the plane and I had no hope of getting one with any leg room. For a hotel this size this was appalling service and something they should consider revising. If a small hotel can offer this service for free and at any time of day or night, then they should be able to as well.

Pros
Now the good stuff. The room we finally ended up with was nice, clean and a good size. It was on the 20th floor and overlooked some of the city. The bed was alright and the air conditioning worked well. There was hot water for bath or shower and you couldn't hear much traffic noise at night. There are a number of restaurants which all serve the same breakfast in the morning - consisting of a large assortment of food that caters for the various nationalities of tourists. These restaurants also serve excellent meals at night.
The staff were generally helpful (other than giving away our room and the flight saga) and the location is very central. There is internal access to MBK shopping centre so you don't need to step outside into the smog to shop. We wanted to go on a river cruise which the hotel organised and although we found out later that it would have been cheaper not to go through them it was very convenient having it done for us. Overall, this hotel was good and I would stay there again, especially if they did something about their internet service.

Room Tip: Bangkok is very busy all night so get a room higher up so you dont get so much traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

LOCATION: In d heart of Bangkok's shopping district.

Walk through hotel sidedoor to world famous Mahboonkrong (MBK) mall & BTS station.

10-15mins walk to Discovery, Siam Center, Paragon & Siam Square. 20mins walk to Central World. Must try the upmarket food court.

LOBBY: Mini lobby has only a few chairs; insufficient for such a large hotel.
Most of ground floor lobby area taken up by Lobby Lounge.

Actual Lobby & Checkin is on Second Floor, which has no view of hotel entrance. Very inconvenient when waiting for transport to show up, as Im expected to pay baht200 for a drink in Lobby Lounge if I want to sit & wait near entrance.

SERVICE: General level of staff proficiency in English is very limited. Level of service at checkin can best be described as subpar.

My reminders to the hotel for a suite with no connecting door were not met. I was surprised I was also refused access to Executive Lounge even though I was in an Executive Suite.

However, d chambermaids did a great job - clean, spotless rooms.

BREAKFAST: Positive comments about d breakfast well deserved. Excellent spread. My simple pleasure was d croissants; fantastique when toasted on d revolving bread-toaster, n served with ham.

ROOM: Well furnished. Large Executive Suite well worth what I paid for. Separate living & bedroom, so I was able to keep busy without waking someone else.

Nice workstation. Small walk-in wardrobe. Big safe. iPod/iPhone docks & flat screen TVs in living & bedrooms.

Unfortunately, very limited channels on offer - for news, only BBC & CNBC. No Korean channels. Hardly any sports.

BEDS: Beds were very very soft. My back problem worsened over d 4 nights I stayed there, I believe, due in large part to d very soft bed.

WIFI: Big plus is Free WiFi throughout hotel but U have to re-register every 6 hours.

CONCLUSION: Great location. Good value. Worth paying extra for a suite. But d bed is way too soft for my bad back, so I dont think I will be back.

GENERAL ADVICE: Get a True SIM if U want d best unlimited 24H 3G network in Thailand. 49baht/day.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank rollingstone66
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Perfect location. The staff is outstanding. Check in was friendly and very helpful. Room was kept clean and stocked with tea bags every day. I wanted a tuk tuk to another area and when the driver told the bell man how much, he came to me and said that was too much and he would get me a cab! (it turned out that the metered cab was half of the tuk tuk). I had room service several times and was amazed that the quality of the food (for room service) was so good. It was fast and hot! My view from the 25th floor overlooking Siam Square was beautiful. MBK was amazing. Hope I have the opportunity to visit again. Won't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Only 1 night in Bangkok and hence this hotel was chosen based on its convenient location. We arrived early (7.00 am from Dubai ) and were very grateful that we were allowed an early check-in . Based on the location itself its 5 stars. Wish i could rate the same for our standard room . Didnt really mind the room but the bathroom was way under my expectation - it was rather small and the wall at the shower area urgently needs scrubbing. And Yes , the complimentary internet was very slow , so we had to subscribe for high speed as my husband needs it for his work purpose . In future , if i have more days in Bangkok will select other newer hotels .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is our third times here since 2012. Check in on the 9th Jan 2013 night fast check in, good service very polite and secure system.
Room was clean the room is sound proved got a good sleep washroom is big got both tub and shower. I love the shopping mall that attached to the hotel very convenience.
Lunch was ok not worth the money we paid but the waiter said dinner is better with seafood.
Yes, will come back again and recommend to all my firends................

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Superb hotel in a convenient location, right next to MBK (7 massive floors of shops, stalls, restaurants and multiscreen cinema - great place to hunt for bargains of every sort). Rooms are clean, stylishly decorated and furnished. Breakfast buffet selections are superb - great choice of Asian and European food, beautifully presented. The fitness centre (The Olympic Club) is huge and well equipped with helpful staff. Swimming pool is sunny during the day and a pleasant place to relax. My only complaint is the complimentary WiFi in guest rooms and public areas was annoyingly slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room.