“The only place to stay!”

Pathumwan Princess Hotel
Ranked #53 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Sydney, Australia
“The only place to stay!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is amazing, it's close to MBK shopping centre and has a number of lovely restaurants within it. The day spa staff were lovely and offered a good quality massage in a lovely clean environment. The hotel in in the centre of Bangkok. A beautiful hotel in a great location

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family (2 adults + 3 children) stayed two nights at the Pathumwan Princess in Sept with friends. Check-in was seamless which was a blessing after a long flight, long queues in customs at BKK airport and the 50 minute drive from the airport. We had booked 2 rooms (adjoining) and were given them (this was the only hotel out of 4 in our total trip that didn't mess this up).
The friends we were travelling with were given rooms right across the hall. A nice touch from the hotel staff who made every effort to keep us together. The rooms were spacious and clean. The resort is connected to MBK which is convenient for shopping and eating. Be warned though - while MBK supposedly stays open until 10pm, most shops were shutting up by 8.30pm. We ordered room service for dinner which was very nice. The meals were hot and arrived quickly which was very impressive given it was late and we were tired. Breakfast was excellent. Checking out was our only drama waiting an exceptionally long time for the porter to collect bags which almost made us miss our flight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilyTraveller277
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have spent three nights here. The room is nice and spacious and clean and the location is excellent for shopping etc. The concierge was also extremely helpful with tips for things to see and things to avoid. The buffet breakfast was very nice and what I would expect from a hotel of this standard. The swimming pool, gym etc is also fantastic!

Only down side for me was the lack of double glazing on the windows allowing a lot of traffic noise up to the room even on the 23rd floor. However, this was drowned out somewhat by the noise from the air conditioning!

These are however, picky things from an otherwise pleasant stay and would not stop me from staying here again!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Bwds
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed here multiple times, most recently for a whirlwind trip that was intended to be longer but unfortunate circumstances cut it short. The reservations manager went out of her way to make an exception to the 'no refund' policy even though I had booked and paid through another site (won't name but they were not as forgiving until Pathumwan got involved and assisted greatly). I can't say enough about the assistance.

I do have a but. My room choice is always execplus suite. I was surprised when first booking this category through the hotel directly, years back, that it included the lounge access (business lounge, breakfast is served with made-to-order eggs, complimentary cocktail hour with fantastic appies...not to be confused with the buffet breakfast for the rest of the hotel which is a different expense and not offered in the ExecPlus, nor warranted I should add). But there is no indication anywhere when booking that this is the case. So I assumed it was always going to be that way until I booked the same category through a third party website and found out when I arrived at the hotel that the lounge access was not included if you didn't book with them directly. Where does it ever say this? It doesn't. You would only know this is included if you ask, and you would only get this if you booked through them directly. So I was asked to pay an additional 25.00 US per day for this access. The breakfast buffet would be, separately, about 20.00 US. That's a big shock. I assumed business room (exec plus suite) means business lounge access. But it doesn't. So be forewarned.

That said, I didn't pay for the lounge access. I tried the buffet and although it was good, I can't eat 20 dollars worth of food, nor do I want to. Too many choices is not always a good thing. So I went to the street and MBK (attached) and had fantastic pad thai, eggs, sate, etc., fresh from the street food stalls and enjoyed that much better (note: I have been more than a dozen times through Bangkok and other parts of Thailand and have eaten perhaps five times in a 'restaurant' of the North American type, meaning sit down and service. Every other of my hundreds of meals is from street carts and I have never, ever been sick. And I do not have a cast iron stomach. Don't fear the food. No one will try to poison you, serve you something unhealthy with any intent, and no local would put up with that anyway. Do we not have an E.Coli outbreak in North American right now at this moment (in Canada)? And we put how many safeguards in place? Please. Eat with the locals, support the locals (especially maids and service people who are actually working so hard) and try to integrate a bit.

As for transportation, I just rely on taxis, far, far, far cheaper than 'limousines'. They are typically air con, they get through traffic just as fast, they are a tenth of the price, the driver's really need the business from us, they are plentiful and reliable (just look around you, there's a taxi 24 hours a day. What is this about scheduling one?). And as far as directions, just say you are going to "Mah Boon Kong" (MBK) because it is one of the biggest shopping destinations in all of Bangkok and it is attached to the hotel (note: it's also a cheapo shopping mall so it's less likely the driver knows you are going to the fancy hotel if you want to work towards a more fair, to all parties, price).

Room Tip: Pool side. If you are on the city side it's great, too, but you have to be above the 15th floor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott W
Bulli, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just stayed two nights in the Pathumwan Princess on my way back home from Phuket ,Stayed in the exec plus rooms which are very spacious and have all you need including a full size fridge ,iron ,ironing board and a huge bathroom, found the breakfast really good and all you could expect from a hotel of this standing.
The location is excellent with direct access to the MBK centre and Sky train.
But now for the down side.
This is the fourth time I have stayed at this Hotel and the transport service leaves a lot to be desired, on my last visit I booked two Limos for transfers to the Airport at 5am and only one turned up causing a great deal of stress for my grandchildren .
This visit I booked the Hotel through Agoda and contacted the hotel directly to book Transfers from the Airport to Hotel and back to Airport and received a confirmation Email from the Assistant Reservation manager But you guessed it -no transport turned up and after finely finding the hotel rep after 1 hr with the assistance of the Shangri-La hotel rep I was informed that I had not booked Transport which caused a further delay at the airport ,on arrival at the hotel the reservation staff were adamant I had not booked transport and I had to book my own transfers back to the Airport .
On my return home I forwarded a copy of the confirmation Email to the hotel and the reply was that they were sorry for their staff’s mistake.
The noise from the air con is OK if you are used to being on the flight deck of an Aircraft carrier but that’s Ok as it seems to go in shutdown mode at 1am and you wake up in a pool of sweat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Melvyn J
PPBangkokPR, Public Relations Manager at Pathumwan Princess Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Melvyn thank you for loyalty and for choosing once again to stay with us. We are pleased that our room facilities, location and breakfast met your satisfaction. However we regret the incident regarding the transportation; your comments have certainly been noted and and assist will prevent a reoccurrence of this situation for future valued guests. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Firstly, location and accessibility are very good with MBK directly connected to the hotel and BTS Station less than 5 mins walk away. Night spots such as Hard Rock Cafe are also within reach by foot.

Room was very clean and impressive. Service was excellent too. I had asked for the iron and ironing board from housekeeping and it was delivered within 5 mins! Its facilities is something that i was very impressed about. You are simply spoilt for all the sport facilities it has. From Swimming Pool to gym to tennis court to squash court to even running tracks!!!

I will definitely stay in this hotel for my next trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in BKK and split my time between this hotel and the Banyan tree. In a good position, well run with a very nice club lounge. I would rate this as a major tourist hub but that works sometimes. The service in the lounge was the best I have had.

Room Tip: I stayed in a med range room and it was quiet and well equipt.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends