“Pathumwan Princess continues to be very good”

Pathumwan Princess Hotel
Ranked #53 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Tweed Heads, Australia
“Pathumwan Princess continues to be very good”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I’ve stayed at the Pathumwan Princess before, but on this occasion occupied an ExecuPlus Suite, room 1401. The hotel’s website had a special, offering this type of accommodation for the same price as a deluxe Room.

When I checked in, the Receptionist did her best to disguise the fact that she didn’t have any record of my confirmed reservation. But, having called a supervisor and upon scrutiny of my confirmation, a room was made available to me.

The ExecuPlus suite comprises a living room/office, separate bedroom, separate walk through dressing/storage area and very large bathroom.

The office space included a full size ‘fridge, full sized office desk with desk lamp, office chair, broadband access, compendium containing ruler, eraser, paper clips, stapler, hole punch, calculator (broken), note pad and pencil.

The living room area included a three-seater couch, easy chair with footstool, coffee table, side table, coffee maker, kettle and flat screen TV and video player. Air conditioning controls for this area were mounted on the wall near the door.

The bedroom contained a king-sized bed, seating for 6 people, a low cabinet and wall-mounted TV. The air-conditioning system for the bedroom was separate from that of the office/living area and had separate wall mounted controls.

The dressing area was accessed through glass panelled wooden doors. This area consisted of open wardrobe, open shelves, very large personal safe and luggage storage area. The bathroom was a continuation of this area. The bathroom included a bath tub, separate shower, WC, marble surrounded hand basin with light beneath. There was no apparent means of turning this light off, so eventually I had to clamber under the basin area in order to disconnect the fluorescent tube. (The glass panelled doors from the bedroom to the dressing area resulted in the bathroom basin light being a distraction.)

The décor of both the principal rooms was in very dark wood, with brown fabric-covered furniture and dark wood floors. Even the ceilings had dark feature panels. I found this décor to be both gloomy and quite depressing. A change to this décor should be a priority during the next room makeover at the hotel.

What did I like about the room and hotel? The very spacious accommodation; the friendly, courteous staff; the large ‘fridge; the work area; the TVs; a very comfortable bed; the well-equipped bathroom; quick problem-solving by the staff (the broken calculator and a non-functioning light were both replaced immediately). Breakfast at the Pathumwan Princess continues to be excellent and, as most people report, the location of the Hotel is ideal for those wanting to be close to shopping.

Dislikes were the suite’s gloomy décor and the light under the bathroom basin.

Would I stay at the Pathumwan Princess again? Most certainly.
Would I occupy an ExecuPlus Suite again? Possibly. The price would have to be right or the décor amended, before I would be tempted.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for any special offers they may have.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
gmppb, General Manager at Pathumwan Princess Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear FrequentTraveller5,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the lost reservation, we are currently investigating this issue.

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to our breakfast, and, most importantly, our friendly staff. Your compliments mean a great deal to all of them.

While the hotel has just recently undergone a complete renovation, we are aware that the decor might not be everybodies taste. For a future visit we would recommend a Hotel Suite on a higher floor. These are basically the same types of suites without the seperation wall between bed- and living room and a little bit smaller dressing. You will certainly find the open space, the light brown wood (all floors from 15th upwards) and the general color scheme more appealing to your taste.

For the right price, we recommend to regularly check our websites and believe offering one of the best values in Bangkok for especially this room type.

Kind regards

Christoph J Knichel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Really enjoyed my stay here, everything was hassel free, great location and felt very safe. Will stay here again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Spent a 4 D 3N stayover at BKK and it was during the anticipated flood weekend.
Pathumwan Princess was good. Room was decent size for my wife and me.

Breakfast buffet was excellent and I suggest that people who book this hotel should just pay the extra and get the buffet breakfast.

I had great service from the waitering crew at breakfast. No matter how crowded it was, they really were attentive and was very fast and efficient.

For instance. on Friday I waved at the waiter to give me a fresh pot of coffee as the flask on the table was getting cool. He return with the fresh flask with HOT brewed coffee and proceeded to also change my coffee cup. THAT"S ATTENTIVE

On Sunday moning, we woked up late and the breakfast was not so crowded. We were served by a guy named TOP (well that's his name tag)

Top was excellent. I had 2 rounds of eggs and on my third round loaded with cereal and muesli I came back to my table and was pleasantly surprised that Top has replaced my silverware with a new set plus a napkin and a fresh pot of cofee. NOW THAT's WHAT I CALLED excellent Service and Attentiveness.

I am sold on this hotel. It was my 1st time there and I am COMING BACK.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel was located just beside MBK shopping mall and is within walking distance from a lot of shopping areas. The BTS station is also very near.
The staff could be a little more helpful in the."Land of Smiles". We tried to ask them for help as we will like to go to the Railway market and their reply was " we have a lot of market here, which one you asking" then he just turned away, ignoring us and fortunately another staff standing nearby tried to help.
The staff in the empty lounge refused to let us take a seat while waiting for our friends to come down and chased us away.
The housekeeper though was very friendly and always smile and greeted us whether he see us and that was the spirit that make Thailand a land of smiles.
Only will stay there again for the location. Do take note that hand phone signal is pretty weak in the hotel, unable to detect network for a lot of time during my 6 days stay there

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meijisawdust
Dear Meijisawdust,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us and other tripadvisor readers.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for failing in delivering the service you expected and we stand for and giving you a bad feeling about your stay.

Our staff is our strong point in this highly competitive market we are in and we take your comments very seriously. Your points and your perception of the events will be discussed with all management and staff involved. Further it will be shared with our two training managers in order to emphasize more on this.

With the busy MBK next door and few spaces in our bakery shop in the lobby available, we do indeed reserve those for guests of the bakery and reserve a waiting space next to the main entrance. Our apology if this has not been nicely presented to you. It might not have been necessary at the given time and we fully understand your impression of being chased away.

The good news is that we started re-enforcing the telephone signal with additional antennas and do have a better reception already.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon back here at the Pathumwan Princess Hotel,

Kind regards

Christoph J Knichel
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was planning a trip for my sisters and my elderly parents to Thailand with our first stop being in Bangkok. I was worried about the safety of my parents in the very busy streets of Bangkok. My mum and sisters wanted to shop a lot in the city so the ideal choice was the Pathumwan Princess Hotel.

The PP hotel is ideally located right above the enormous MBK shopping mall. There are two levels of the mall that enter directly in to the foyer of the hotel. So you don't even need to step outside to go shopping. The girls could pop back with bags of shopping in between bouts of shopping and spa treatments in the malls many beauty treatment centres. I also liked the many places to eat in the mall when we were too tired at night to go away from the hotel. The MBK is also connected by overhead walk ways to 4 other shopping malls. So my folks didn't have to do down on to the street in to the busy traffic. Though we did head out a few times on tours and trips to markets.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful. Actually better than we had expected. You are stunned when you enter the massive foyer. The staff are all very friendly and attentive. We headed straight up to the first floor of the foyer where we checked in and received cool welcome drinks. It was a very nice welcome after our long trip over from Australia.

The hotel was renovated in last few years so all the public areas and rooms are just like nice. The bathrooms are great! But tubs and lots of space in there. We all booked the cheapest rooms (superior) and they were great! We also asked for high level rooms so we could have a good view over the city. The rooms facing Siam Square have the most interesting view. While the other side faces over the pool area.

The room came with breakfast and each day we all met for brekky. We all talked about how good the breakfast variety and quality was. We all agreed that everyone must try the the self serve banana milk drink. And the chef making the omlettes/eggs was keeping everyone entertained. The Pathumwan Princess may just be the friendliest and most comfortable hotel I've ever stayed in.

Oh... I used the massive gym as well. I really liked the huge range of equipment in the 3 big areas. An instructor is on hand at all times to keep an eye on everyone working out. He quickly raced over when he saw me about to do some heavy weight lifts. There are also a huge swimming pool, a very big spa centre, a running track, basketball court, tennis court.... this place is massive. I really liked the restaurant (Italian) next to pool. We sat in there one afternoon having cocktails by the pool. We also went back for dinner... but I would not recommend the pizzas there. They could be improved.

I would highly recommend staying at the PP Hotel. Especially if you want to do a lot of shopping and you don't have a lot of time in the city. We loved the PP Hotel and would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level room on the Siam Square side of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank melbourneloft
Canberra
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We booked an ExecuPlus suite directly through the hotel. If you want club lounge access, ensure it is included in the booking. Club lounge is very nice, staff are pleasant. They serve all day refreshments (cake, fruit, juices, soft drink and tea/coffee). From 5.30pm until 7pm cocktails (kids are not allowed during the time they serve cocktails). Free internet in club lounge and free low speed WiFi in the room. Lounge room easily accommodated a roll-a-way bed and the bedroom was spacious. Bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was accessible both from the bedroom and the lounge room via the hallway/dressing room. Bathroom is huge and has a separate bath and shower. Location can't be beaten, literally part of MBK. We booked breakfast and ate one morning in the pool restaurant and the other mornings in the main restaurant in the lobby. If you have club lounge included, they serve a continental breakfast there too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I had never been to Bangkok before and this hotel was recommended by my travel agent. When my family and I arrived, we were treated with respect and dignity, everything was explained to us and we were given our room keys. The rooms were bigger than expected and the HK staff were very friendly and always willing to help with any requests that we had. The breakfast is spectacular, a huge variety, all you can eat which we all loved, especially the husband. Having the MBK Centre entrance to the hotel was also very handy for shopping, eating and browsing. The hotel is located very close to the BTS skytrain and is a short walk to heaps of tourist attractions. We plan on returning to Bangkok in the future and we will definitely we staying at this Hotel. Great value for money. Just a tip for people travelling from Australia, there's no need to take an international charger for charging things like batteries, ipods, DS's, etc, as there is one in every room. Thank you to the staff or Pathumwan Princess for making our first trip to Bangkok one that we will treasure always.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family