“Clean, good value, average location”

Royal Princess Larn Luang
Ranked #248 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 14, 2007

The rooms were great and reasonably priced, the restaurant was good, the staff were friendly and helpful and the facilities were good. All in all, it is a good upper-mid range hotel.

The downside is the location. It is "central", but it is not really close to anything. Of course there are taxis and tuk-tuks, but if you like to see places by strolling around your hotel's neighbourhood, be prepared to be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SanMarco2

Reviewed February 27, 2007

I booked a triple room (just the ordinary type) a few weeks ahead of time. I wanted my parents, who are a bit old and had never visited Asia before, to have a comfortable arrival in Thailand.

At first, my impressions were good. I was allowed to check in at 7am even though my room was not supposed to be available until 2pm. That was good.

I think the last reviewer summed up the hotel pretty well. The rooms are spacious, but the decor is faded. The bathroom is small, but I don't care too much about that. The breakfast was excellent, but we never ate in the restaurants. They were way too expensive, I can't believe the quality of food can ever be worth 5 times what you could get in restaurants outside the hotel.

The staff at the front desk were polite and friendly and quite helpful. I was able to leave my suitcase with the hotel for about 2 weeks for free.

We had a few problems. Firstly, the air conditioning dries out the air in the room and leaves you with a dry and sore throat. Don't turn it on. Use the fans instead.

Secondly, the walls are quite thin. Luckily I'm a heavy sleeper but my Dad was kept awake by the nocturnal activities from next door.

Thirdly, when we left, we were charged 200 baht for losing the little blue velvet pouch the safe lock comes in. Later, when we found it and wanted to return it, they refused to refund us the money. That left a sour taste in the mouth.

Fourthly, the concierge outside is very irritating. He constantly would try to wheedle you into conversations, asking you where you are going, what shopping you wanted to do. I know where these conversations where heading - straight for a guided tour and/or to some shop he had a connection with.

Finally we had one experience which really maddened me. When we came to collect my suitcase at the end of my stay, we were en route to a hotel near the new airport which I booked in advance. We asked the concierge to get us a taxi, which he did. When it arrived though, the driver did not seem to know where the hotel was. The concierge said it was 80km outside the city centre, and would cost 500 baht at least to get there.

Now, this left me somewhat aghast, as I had specifically booked the hotel on the grounds that it was 15 minutes away from the aiport, according to the information I received from the booking agent. The concierge then helpfully suggested a local hotel, which he promised would be only 700 or 800 baht a night. We went there (another 50 baht on the taxi meter), only to find on arrival that it was nowhere near that price - 2300 baht.

Later I contacted the original hotel I had booked and they stated categorically they were 40km from the city centre, not 80km. I have no doubt in my mind that the concierge deliberately mislead us in order to get us to go to this other hotel (which we did not stay in). Perhaps he stood to benefit somehow.

Overall, our experience in this hotel was not that great. We stayed for two nights, but both of them were not that comfortable due to the reasons I mentioned above. The rooms are fine and clean as you would expect, and the breakfast was fantastic, but the other experiences really left us rather angry and frustrated.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank njstone9
Reviewed February 20, 2007

We booked this hotel through a government-supported hotel booking service at the airport upon arrival. While the hotel has little in the way of genuine Thai ambience, its staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating, forgive the pun. The tour agency booking agents are nice, patient, and professional with exceptional English skills. The restaurant food is mediocre and overpriced but the complimentary breakfast buffet is more than adequate and well supplied right up until closing time. The lobby is rather small but cool and comfortable. The concierge is most helpful and locally informed. Deluxe rooms are non-descript. While spacious, the decor leaves much to be desired. Rooms come with a good-sized balcony where we easily dried our clothes. The bathroom is rather small and the shower lacks water pressure. The safe is first-rate but the satellite TV reception and selection is less than satisfactory. Fresh fruit greeted our arrival and glass bottled water was provided each day. For some odd reason all the furniture has those ugly sheet coverings, as if the rooms were about to be painted, but this was a minor annoyance. Our room was not noisy but was also on a higher floor at the end of the hall. The hotel is near major avenues but turned away on a side street, making most night time noises disappear. If you decide to stay, beware the scam tuk-tuk drivers that lay in wait on the sidestreet from the hotel exit.
Location to the Grand Royal Palace and museums is excellent, though you will need to hire a taxi to get there.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed January 29, 2007

We stayed for 10 days in January 2007. The rooms are of a different standard to the lobby etc. The rooms are spacious and a little dated, but clean. The beds are a little hard and the bathrooms even though clean needed a little TLC. Meals are fairly cheap in the Princess café.

One must be careful when getting the concierge to get taxis etc for shopping trips, Make sure you definitely know where you want to go and emphatically tell them so. We had the concierge try to send us to “special shops” i.e his cousins! Its only 10 minutes in a taxi from the hotel to MBK and it only costs about 60 baht to get there. Kow Sein (the backpacker area) is only a 45 Baht taxi ride from the hotel as well. Bo bae markets in a 10 minute walk from the hotel and there is a 7/11 across the road for you to easily get your late night snacks or toiletries etc.

With regards to staff, we did have issues with the reception manager, she was quite rude and blunt and not interested in helping us at all, though most of the staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying there, though be mindful of personal security and that of your belongings.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tiggerqueensland
Reviewed December 28, 2006

4-star quality for a 3-star price. Rooms are comfortable, staff is helpful and friendly, restaurant is good.

• Stayed: November 2006
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We checked some reviews on this hotel before travelling to Bangkok and decided to try our luck on getting a room when we arrived.

We managed to get a room on arrival even though it was a bit more expensive than we expected it to be. The staff were very friendly. This is a great quiet hotel to stay at - even for backpackers - if you are prepared to spend over 2500 baht for a room. The service was excellent and there are no fake smiles at this place...The rooms were quite big and very clean. The breakfast was also very good. The pool was perfect to relax at after a few hours in busy Bangkok!

The only thing that irritated me was that it was very cold in the hotel, especially in the reception/restaurant area but this seems to be a normal thing to do in Thailand (or other hot countries like Austrailia...).

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hobicat
Reviewed March 22, 2006

this is NOT the hotel for you if you're looking to shop in bangkok. it's about 20-30 minutes away from the popular MBK, siam square area. note there's nothing in its vicinity as well, except a 7-11 and small convenience store. khao san road is a 5 minute cab ride away, not walking distance.
but royal princess is located less than 5 minutes drive from the government house, if that's what you're looking for.
the staff are friendly and helpful. the concierge in the morning was particularly handy in helping me get a cab driver who speaks good english. he was always so eager to help, my hats off to him! the other staff, especially those at night, seem kinda grouchy.
the safe in the room is dismal but reception was prompt to send someone to help when i needed a wall plug.
the room is nice and big, with a separate table for you to work and the usual makeup mirror and table. mine had a balcony overlooking the pool. bedroom slippers and bathrobe provided too.
you get woken up by (i'm not sure if it's) people cleaning the pool or kids using the pool.
overall good for business, but not for a holiday

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business