“Excellent Price, Excellent Location”

lebua at State Tower
Ranked #84 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 3, 2007

The Lebua was recommended to us, and I have to say it was great advice. The staff bend over backwards to make you feel comfortable and at ease. Nothing is too much trouble. The room we had was just fantastic - it was like an open plan apartment, with stunning views over the city. Shame the balcony was locked but that’s a safety regulation but still fantastic. They have an awesome skybar, which is not to be missed, beware of the No Open Toe Shoe policy - just no flip flops really - doesn't matter how nice they are :)
When we come back to Bangkok there is no doubt in our minds that we will be staying there again.

10  Thank Silvertimtim
Write a ReviewReviews (7,491)

Reviewed December 30, 2006

Room, facilities, hospitality are very good. You'll like the spacious room, comfy facilities, good food, and best of all the hospitality of the staffs.

** I stayed here on New Years Eve '06

The service is still uncooperated. This is my second stay in 2006, yet some units did not coordinate well.

-- MINUS: I asked for a non-smoking room w a certain view (to spot firework scene of Oriental, Peninsula, Shangrila hotels) but got a stinky smoking room w limited view instead. The balcony door can't be open either.

-- PLUS: They gave me complimentary drink vouchers for its open air bar called Sky Bar, so that I could enjoy the view I requested for.

-- MINUS: However, the staffs in front of the Sky Bar said the vouchers could be used any day but not on New Year's Eve

-- PLUS: The management receiving guests on the first floor helped me get in. I was very happy because the hotel was very thoughtful and responsible for little mistakes they've done.

Like someone said, it's above average and comfortable, but if you're familiar w flawless 5 stars, you shld go to other neighboring hotels.

7  Thank shirotan
Reviewed December 26, 2006

As I mentioned, it really depends on what you are looking for.
I think this hotel is established for its refined customer services. Yuko, the manager who welcomed us when arrived, and she also made our whole journey with pleasant and warmth; thank you again Yuko.
Once we enter this gigantic building, you couldnt help to notice that this building is really not completed yet, that all the details indicate this is not a 5 star hotel: carpet is old and smelly, bathtub could not get the water out very quickly, balcony door is locked, also as everyone mentioned, the ongoing construction plus the noise from outside the street; subway stop is not that easy to get to since you have to really pass some really local dirty streets....; again, its all about details.
But dont get me wrong, if you are looking for a huge space, that is so huge that u dont even use (perfect for family travelers i suppose.) Also, everyone's favorate morning buffet, i havent seen any other hotel's selection that can be topped this hotel, the selection is so diverse and authentic that suits every traveler around the world; the wonderful huge gym and sauna and steam room; most importantly, thier bars above in the air; skybar, the tallest bar in BKK where we went first, its really tall that i can barely enjoy cuz i am afraid of high; just thought its spectacular enough, Breeze, the newest bar opened few floors blow is our true fav.
So, do u want a huge place to stay with no details? do u prefer for a better location? or do u prefer all the attention and care from the staff?...

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank Topert
Reviewed December 21, 2006

Upon reaching the hotel, we are welcomed by 2 bellboy and one front office lady, who took our passport and reservation document and get us to sit on the sofa while she get the room for us.

I must say the entrance is not as grand as a 5* hotel but it is still nice and welcoming enough.

Overall, the welcome experience is nice, all the staff greet us when they saw us.

She came back out and brought us up to the hotel room at 52 floor to do the check-in in our room.

We went up to the 52th floor and was welcome but 2 male staffs who nicely greeted us. We thought, wow, that was cool, didn't know they have staff on every floor, but we soon realised that 52th floor is the location of their new restaurant and floor with restaurant will have a staff who welcome you and press the lift button for you and etc. Nevertheless, it is nice to have them.
Before you can go to the room, you have to pass through a security door which can only be access with your room card. That is nice for extra security.

The room is nice but they can't be compare to a 5* suite, nevertheless, it is cosy and friendly and for the amount we paid, I think I have no complain. (check out some of the room photo we took).

They do not allow you to go out to the room balcony, the access to the balcony is lock. I find it wierd, I mean, why have a balcony if you don't want people to access it? For the view, we got the view of the river on our right and bangkok on our left. Nice, and could be better if we have access to the balcony.

The bed was nice and comfortable. We get free internet access and it is fast! free minibar (excluding the beer, I seriously don't understand why not the beer) and daily breakfast which is nice, better than Holiday Inn Phuket, and the lady who welcome the guest to the restaurant remember our room number the first time we tell her. Our next 2 visits she immediately welcome us with a good morning greet, bring us out to the smoking table without even asking us for our room number again.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel as the people are friendly (even though they though we are Thai people, they still greeted us when they see us. This is different when we are in Phuket, Holiday Inn, more on that under Phuket forum), the breakfast is good, the access to the pier and skytrain is easy and you get the real feeling of Bangkok living the moment you step out of the hotel.

The cool part of the hotel is that they will leave a temporary key in your room when you go out so that when you come back, the room light is already on and the aircon running, so it is cooling to step into the room. But do remember to change them as the key will automatically off everything after 2 am or something.

TIPS
For those who would like to travel using the BTS (highly recommended), once you exit from the hotel, turn left and walk down. You will see a junction (with a police post), turn left again and you can see the CenterPoint shopping centre..... wall all the way down and you will see the Taksin BTR on your right side.
For those who don't want to come out via the hotel main entrance (to escape those guys who will sell you tour), this is what you can do.

When you come out from the lift (on the ground floor), turn to the left and you will see a door (the door is always close). Open up the door and you will see their service lift. Turn right and walk down, and next turn left (where you will go to their Service Apartment area), walk further and you will see a small door on the right, exit from there and turn right follow left (you will see the parking attendant)....... walk straight, and you will be on the street, turn right walk down and turn left and walk all way down to Taksin BTR. Note, the Central Pier is near the Taksin BTR too.

Tip the chambermaid and you will see your room being clean well, they even put a nice piece of cloth under our toiletries and change all the towels every single day.

12  Thank boliao
Reviewed December 14, 2006

We stayed in a one bed suite at the Lebua for 3 nights at the start of our 3 month long trip. As we had told them it was our honeymoon they surprised us with a delivery of a beautiful cake, rose petals on the bed and in the bath tub - which was lovely!

Our room was nice with a great view - though you can't actually go onto the balcony. Really enjoyed the luxury bathroom products!

The buffet for breakfast was fantastic, really good choice of western and asian foods, and if you eat at 11 you can save money on lunch :-)

Went up to the Sky Bar one night, but to be honest, the view was no different to our room, the atmosphere was very pretentious and the drinks over-priced. Service was also very poor, despite 5 people behind the bar rushing around, nothing actually seemed to be achieved!

Do not have a massage - it was included in our package and was the most painful experience of my life! Only a slight exaggeration! We've had a few others since (very brave) and this didn't even compare, far more expensive and she left bruises along both my legs. Ouch.

Check out was perhaps the only real let down. Again, lots of staff but nothing happening in a hurry. They made mistakes on our bill, overcharging us etc, but this was resolved. That said, we had a great stay and would definitely go back - always a good recommendation.

Stayed: November 2006
5  Thank LucieandDave
Reviewed December 7, 2006

This is another one of my lengthy hotel reviews. Just came back after a 6 night stay at Lebua State Towers from 2-8 Dec. Hopefully, it will give other travelers a better insight of the Lebua State Towers. Really wished we can stay there for another week.

Check-In

The front desk staffs are extremely polite and professional. The front desk looks a lot smaller than those in the website’s photo as the renovation is still going on. However, it does not affect the quality of the check-in. In most hotels, when you check-in, they simply give you the keys and tell you how to get to your room. However, when you check-in at the Lebua, rather than just giving you the keys to your room, you’ll be shown to your room by the hotel’s concierge. How’s that for service?? Just wonder how can they cope when there is a sudden surge of guest checking in at the same time ???

Room

The room we got was a standard one-bedroom suite with a free extra bed for my daughter. Got the room for US$190 for two nites using the American Express promotion. So, our 6-night stay only set us back US$570. For those who have an extended family, the extra bed will be placed in the living area and not the bedroom. However, I think they can actually squeeze in two extra beds into the room without any problems. There has been a lot of hype about the Bvlgari toiletries, but there is nothing spectacular about the packaging…I expected all the shampoo, shower gel, etc to have a nice bottles designed by Bvlgari, but it is just contained in small green plastic bottles. However, despite the “less than perfect” packaging, the quality of the Bvlgari toiletries are really good and leaves you smelling great after a nice long bath.

There are two TVs. One in the bedroom and other in the living room. The one in the bedroom is hooked up to a DVD player….(wished someone had mentioned that earlier so that I didn’t have to lug my small portable DVD player to Thailand).

The room has a full-sized fridge and a hotplate for you to do some cooking…however, as other reviewers had already mentioned, there are no cooking utensils in the room. If Lebua is branding itself as a hotel, the absence of cooking utensils is forgivable. However, if Lebua is branding itself as a service apartment, then the absence of cooking utensils may prove to be a sore point. Furthermore, the room does not have an iron nor ironing board. So, if you need to have your tie or shirt ironed, you’ll need to send it to be ironed by the hotel. The laundry service seems to be a bit slow compared to the other services offered by the hotel. According to the laundry list, it will take them one day to wash your laundry. If you need express service (less than 4 hrs), it will cost you double the amount! Looking at the number of items I had to iron and the exorbitant charges, I bought myself an iron for only 399Baht.

The bathroom itself is relatively big with a separate shower and bath area. However, the sink seems a bit incomplete. Not too sure if it was meant as a minimalistic concept or they simply decided to leave the bottom portion of the sink exposed.

Security/Safety

The rooms are equipped with a digital safe like most other hotels and I strongly encourage you to use it to keep your valuables there. Why? Because even you can lock the door to your hotel room, someone can still climb in from the balcony windows and enter the room very easily. Although the hotel itself is located from the 51st storey onwards, you can still easily gain access to the other rooms via the balcony. Although the sliding doors to the balcony are locked at all times, it is very easy to figure out how to circumvent the sliding doors if you know the concept on how to fix a sliding window/door (my guess is that Lebua realizes this security mistake & decides to lock the balcony window).

View

Once you’ve managed to figure out how to circumvent the sliding windows, you’ll have one of the most wonderful views of the Chao Praya River. Although the hotel itself looks very nice from the outside and inside, the surrounding area still looks very run down and dilapidated.

Dining

Ah….now we come to my favourite topic! Throughout my 6 day stay in Lebua, the breakfast menu at Café Mozu (aka Brassiere) at the mezzanine floor hasn’t changed at all. This is really surprising as the hotel is hosting the Epicurean Masters in Feb 2007 and this is not what I had expected from a 5-star hotel. The only change they made to the menu is to switch to different teriyaki fish, replace the fried flat noodles with fried vermicelli, chicken sausages with cheese sausages.

We booked a table at the Sirocco on one of the nights, but as my luck will have it, just as we were shown our table, it started to RAIN !!! When it rains, there is nothing the waiters can do as Sirocco is meant to be an open air dining experience…..so when it rains, you either wait until the rain stops or go for an alternative restaurant. Since I don’t have the patience to wait, we went to the Brassiere for a BBQ buffet which was extremely good. Must try the Lamb and Steak combo……

If you don’t feel like stepping out of the hotel, order the wonderful room service menu. One of the must-try dishes is the Pineapple Rice. It is simply delicious. If you are a bit adventurous, you can try buying from the street side stalls. I dare not order anything from these stalls as there is no ‘freshwater’ for these push-carts vendors to properly wash their dishes. But fret not as Pizza Hut, MacDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken are within 3 mins walk from the hotel. Starbucks is located on the ground floor of the hotel.

Conclusion

Would I come back to this hotel or recommend this to my friend, definitely yes....The view from the hotel room is simply spectacular. When the front desk asks if you want the City or River View, opt for the river view.

Furthermore, the room service menu is delicious....I put on 6kg in 7 days and now I must get back to my exercise regime now that I am now longer in Thailand :-(

Hope the review helps.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank Raychan
Reviewed December 6, 2006

Lebua at state tower is a 5 star hotel. No doubt about it. The service is impeccable and the facilities are top shelf.

Some previous posts speak to the quality of flooring and suites but it should be noted that the rooms are being renovated. Where else can you get a suite with all the amenities and quality of fixtures with such great service? The views from the room were great and we did not feel the need to venture out to the balcony.

When we walked into this hotel, we were greeted at least 5 times before reaching the elevator. The staff is truly excellent and we felt all the greetings and inquiries they made were genuine. When we checked in, we were asked to relax in the lobby while they prepared the paperwork, then a staff member escorted us to our room with chocolates and completed the check-in. The first room we were offered smelt of smoke (I guess the previous guest asked for a non-smoking room and decided to light up). We were given a new room in less than 5 minutes that was fine.

To top it all off the breakfast buffet was excellent. It included Western, Thai and Japanese (also some of the best croissants we have ever had). We were on a 3 week holiday in Asia and stayed at 5 different 5 star hotels and this breakfast was by far the best of the bunch!

We also had dinner one night at Sirocco and a drink at the bar. Wow! The food at Sirocco was one of the best meals I have ever had. The prices compared to other restaurants in Bangkok (we also tried Sala Thip at Shangri-La and the Rooftop restaurant at the Banyan Tree) were steep but comparable to any fine dining restaurant in North America, then you add the view and service and it was a steal.

The hotel is located 5 minutes from the train station and we took the hotel shuttle on the only occasion we needed to take the train (when we went to the weekend market). The rest of the time we took taxis as taxis in Bangkok are very cheap. When we arrived in Bangkok the taxi stand attendant had a tough time with the location of the hotel as did the taxi driver. The next time we will say it is located close to the Holiday Inn Silom on Silom Road and it should be no problem.

We also visited a tailor in Prathunam (great deal on suits and great quality of fabrics and final product), did some shopping at a few malls, and visited the weekend market and the temples/grand palace. Overall had a great time in Bangkok while using this fabulous hotel as a base.

Would definitely be back as we loved the service and the fact that all rooms are suites. The suite allowed us to spread out our luggage and purchases without feeling cramped (which did happen at the other hotels on our trip).

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple