“Thank you to Sam the Concierge”

lebua at State Tower
Ranked #82 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I arrived in Bangkok on Christmas day without any luggage! I was booked into the Lebua for that night, travelling to Cambodia the next day. Luckily for me Sam was the Concierge that night. He could not have been more helpful. Sam spoke to the airlines and traced my luggage whilst I went off to Cambodia. He kept me updated via email and when my luggage was eventually delivered to the Lebua for me to collect on my return from Cambodia, he even sent me photos as I was convinced they had sent the wrong luggage. Apart from that, my room on 52nd floor was faultless - fantastic bathroom and the cocktails served on 52nd floor were delicious (although a bit expensive but the view and bar made it worth it - plus it was Christmas day). The breakfast was the best I had during my trip to Thailand and Cambodia.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,501)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed here for several days with a tour group. Pros include an excellent buffet breakfast, a spectacular view at the dome/rooftop, and hot strong shower heads. Cons include slow, jam packed elevators full of tourists (us included) attempting to see the view at the hotel's dome and slow wi-fi (the breakfast area however had fast wi-fi). We couldn't get reservations at Sirocco (on the 64th floor) therefore dined at Breeze instead (on the 52nd floor). The hotel offers stunning view of Bangkok and is a must see. The hotel is located on an unattractive side of town therefore we did not venture out on our own without a tour guide. The spa treatments were great but the treatment rooms needed some tending to. This hotel has a great view of the city, but I feel dinner or a drink up at the dome would suffice rather than a stay at the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I took a last minute break for an astonishingly good deal. Staying on the 58th floor with Club privileges gives one a luxury stay with spectacular views. As with others I was upgraded from city view to river view without even asking and had such pleasure gazing out over the city by day and by night. Comfortably appointed suite with beautiful toiletries and even a Nespresso machine.
It is one of those curious hotels having the reception on the ground floor but the rooms up in the sky (same as Traders Hotel in Kuala Lumpur) For this to work the lifts have to be fast and many - which they are not quite! You need to be able to age gracefully waiting for a lift in the hotel rush hour...i.e. breakfast time and early evening....it can take 10-15 minutes.
However the service in impeccable. The staff greet and treat you like old friends or family members and all with a beautiful Thai smile. The management must be getting something right to have such happy and helpful staff.
Breakfast is a feast and a particular feature is the baker creating his wares from the oven right in front of your eyes - great taste (not so great for the waistline!)
The only negative points about Lebua are in part to do with the country as much as the hotel. Smoking laws are not strict and it is still allowed in parts of the dining areas and in the rooftop bars. For me smoke wafting across from the next table when enjoying the master baker's creations or relishing olives and wine at the rooftop bar - it is enough to make me feel unwell and dine elsewhere. The other point to remember is the punitive Thai taxes on wine mean the hotel cost is high - be prepared to pay $25 for the cheapest glass of wine!
Opposite the hotel is a small restaurant open very late; not the cheapest but still good value and great Thai food. Also 1 minutes walk away are tailors who make wonderful coats and dresses from luxurious Thai silk. And three minutes walk to the river boats and ferries where 15 baht will carry you far upriver. (Beware the tuk-tuk drivers outside the hotel charging 100 baht to take you 200 metres to the metro station)
I'll go again as soon as I have another long weekend...

Room Tip: Let the staff help - they chose for me and the room was lovely...
Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

There is nothing wrong with the Lebua, but also nothing special. Surely the hotel was part of the Hangover 2 movie and has the spectacular roof top view, but there are better hotels in Bangkok for the money. What we found extremely odd was that the building the hotel is in, is somehow ran down. A dark ugly lobby one has to cross before reaching the hotel itself. Next time we would chose another hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travlR_Berlin
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My partner and I had one night in Bangkok in between flights and we decided we had to try the hotel that starred in the 2nd Hangover movie. Sure enough the famous view lived up to expectations. Get up to the 76th floor and it's akin to being up on the Empire State Building in NY. Even the big old mess that is Bangkok city looks beautiful from up above at night. My only grumble is the staff positioned every 2 meters instructing you where you can and cannot stand to have your photograph taken. No pointing cameras at the restaurant on the floor below and no standing within 3 meters of the top of the steps leading down to the bar. A group of young guys told one member of staff where to go when he tried to interrupt their photo poses. Harsh but understandable. The suite we booked was simply stunning and had an amazing riverside view on the 27th floor. As expected from a 5 star hotel the service was perfect. We'd have loved to have checked out the hotel's many facilities but one quick night was not enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for three and wish we could have stay longer if we had more time. We book a regular lower floor room, but was immediately upgrade to the higher floor, 52nd to be exact. The room was spacious and bathroom with room to stretch. There's an living space in the room but we never in the room long enough to enjoy this. The bed was at least a king and super comfy. Never had trouble sleep at night. Then we have a private balcony that overlook the city of Bangkok and the river. The city light up beautifully at night.
My favorite part of the stay was the buffet breakfast. OMG they had everything that you can possible imagine. Omelet station, congee, fresh fruit, toast, pastry, and varieties of Thai dish gosh the list just goes on and on. That one of the best thing I look forward to waking up in Bangkok every morning. I somehow always over eat all of the delicious food but hard not too if everything taste so good. I am surprise by the rating here, perhaps it because off beat location that it's not as centralize as other might have like. But again there's lot of competitor and they're all great. Will return if I ever get the chance to go back.

Room Tip: anything above the 50th floor is the ideal view not to mention the club for exclusive afternoon drin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We spent a few days at this hotel on our way to Koh Samui.

The hotel is located in the Silom area and overlooks the Chao Phraya river. Wifi is free in the rooms. Breakfast was ok.

In all the stay was satisfactory.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple