“good old Amari”

Ranked #72 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenia
“good old Amari”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

After 3 years we have been to Bangkok again, and we’ve booked Amari as in the past 10 years. It is so nice when you can see that hotel is still in same quality level as before. The room is not huge, but big enough so you feel good. Bed was comfortable, breakfast was good (only I was missing my favorite fruit in Thailand mango . This time we had a breakfast on the top restaurant (last floor) and is was great. The location is perfect for shopping.
Only remark would be that our room was not ready when we arrived and it took quite long time that it was ready (after long flight this is a little harder to accept).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank flyaway258
Nina S, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear flyaway258
We are delighted to read that you had selected us once again for your recent stay in Bangkok.
We apologize for the wait that you have to experience during your arrival and please rest assured that we have addressed it with our team.
I sincerely appreciate that you took the time in writing your comment and do hope that despite this inconvenience we will be able to welcome you again soon at the Amari Watergate
Nina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

When you first enter into the spacious foyer of the Amari Watergate Hotel in Bangkok, it makes a welcome relief from the crazed masses of shoppers in the Prutunam shopping precinct. It’s simply elegant and slick. If you’d made a faux pas and said Armani then you may be forgiven as the Amari also exudes style in its own right.

When I checked in, the staff were having some banter amongst themselves which was refreshing to see. As my room wasn’t quite ready, I was quickly offered a coffee voucher to make use at the lovely café whilst waiting. Not too long after connecting to the free wifi, a room key was brought over and I was pleasantly surprised to have a room which was spacious and ‘a la naturale’ light which meant no walking around turning on lights during daylight hours. I was able to find easily which switch operates which light as there were no fancy electronics to figure out here. Blonde-coloured furnishings may not be to everyone’s taste, but it added extra brightness to the room which in turn felt incredibly cool – even when the air conditioner wasn’t turned on. Huge bathroom and separate rain shower makes women very happy indeed.

The deluxe room is the lead-in category and it’s easy to see why Australians are fond of the Amari as the colours are deep earthy tones and warm - just like the outback. Sufficient bench space and free wifi in the rooms add significance to those who need internet access.

I noticed the casing of the window in my room was about 12 inches in from the walls, floor and ceiling. Why is that important you might ask? It means the curtains actually hide out the light from above the pelmet and below the hem, allowing it to be totally devil dark which in turn is heaven sent to anyone with light-sensitive eyes. Cabin crew friends talk about curtains that never close properly and we know what odd hours they must try to sleep. At least this property ‘got it right’ – and that was almost 20 years ago … shame a few more properties didn’t take notice.

I had the chance to view the conference rooms and banqueting facilities capable of seating up to 1,200 guests. Again large light rooms with huge communal tables in the break-out areas gave an impression of professionalism throughout whilst retaining an air of informality.

The pool area is on level 8 where you can relax away from the buzz of Bangkok, however I might have thought during peak season it would be a frantic dash to secure your spot by the water.

Throughout my stay, the staff members certainly ensured the service standards were above what’s expected and they strived hard to keep it that way I felt. I had the opportunity to experience the Executive Lounge for breakfast and again the evening’s delectable cuisine. All prepared by the Head Chef who also carved the mouth-watering roast for guests who circled around him like a hyena. The desserts were just lip smacking and beautifully prepared. And again, the staff members could not have been more helpful and chatty.

I was sad to leave the Amari Watergate and looking back from the Sky Train, I tend to think the stand-alone property may have been the first built in the area. I figure they must have thought ‘build it and they will come’ and tourists certainly have been for years now. There’s a plethora of shopping plazas and street stalls around and doesn’t matter which direction you walk.

The nearest Sky Train stop is Ratchaparok and the taxi from the hotel was approximately Baht 40 (negotiated regardless of traffic) and the fare then by train to the international airport Suvarnabhumi was Baht 40 - so much faster and cheaper than a taxi. (Baht 40 = A$1.40 on today’s exchange rate.)

Speaking of the Amari group, there is a property at Hua Hin of which I’ve earmarked for my next trip … if Hua Hin is good enough for the King to take up residence then I feel it’s worthy a visit. Not to mention this weekend there is an annual elephant polo event coming up and sounds like fun!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Executive Floor rooms as you will have access to the most wonderful Lounge for breakf...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank TravelGracefull... Y
Dear Grace Club T
What a fantastic review!! We always feel really humbled when our dear guests take the time to write about their experience. It is wonderful to know that we were able to provide you with remarkable service and anticipate your needs, as these are two of our primary goals.
We hope to see you soon in your home in Bangkok.
Nottingham UK
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We returned to Amari Watergate after our lovely stay last year. The hotel has just got better and better. We were personally met by the manager - a true gentleman. He gave my baby son a teddy bear and us flowers. A wonderful touch especially as we were exhausted from our direct flight from London. The executive lounge is a welcoming environment - personal and friendly service at all times. We had our hands full with our son, but the staff took such great care of us. We were treated to delicious breads and pastries at breakfast. The staff looked after our son while we found what we wanted on the buffet. I must add that the food here is first class - the best we have sampled in Bangkok (countless hotels). The view from our executive room was amazing. The rooms are lage and relaxing. The real gem is the pool. It is so relaxing. Again, the staff took care of my son. They brought me drinks and snacks, played with my son and took care of every need I had. I don't have to ask for anything at Watergate, as the staff here seem to be one step ahead and know what you need (e.g. opeing doors, lifting the push chair, finding the high chair, fetching the pool towels, refilling my sons water bottle - all done without me asking). The view of Bayoke 2 tower from the pool is brilliant. As you can see, the service is first class. The hotel has all the facilities we need. Shops, restaurants, bar, pool, fitness. We really like the cafe by reception - it has lovely cakes, plus you can have a cocktail too. Very relaxed and very stylish. The hotel is perfectly located for shopping or touring. While my wife was in the salon, I walked with my baby (in push chair) to Central World and Siam Paragon. Easy 5 - 10 min walks for me, as I am used to Bangkok and know my way around. If you need a taxi, the staff help you with this, and one arrives within about 30 seconds. We visited Jim Thompsons house - only 10 mins by taxi and one of BKK's must -see atractions. In conclusion, stay at this hotel - we have twice - it never disappoints. We WILL be returning to Watergate as soon as I get my next break from work!

Room Tip: We prefer the view out the front of the hotel over looking the Central World/Siam Paragon direction...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mrhipkiss
Dear mrhipkiss
Thank you for your loyalty and lovely remarks; I was delighted to read that you and your family have enjoyed your stay
Again we really appreciate you taking the time out to write and we hope to welcome you back soon in home in Bangkok.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have now visited the watergate several times and by far this was the best visit yet. The staff were so welcoming it was like seeing old friends again. Pierre the general manager, made a point of coming and talking with us and gave us flower garlands, as it was mothers day. We have spent the previous 2 days in Chiang Mai, in a Le meridian 5 star hotel and after staying at Watergate, it made the Chiang Mai hotel seem more like a 3 star establishment.
I highly recommend everyone to try this hotel, especially the club floors, which never fail to deliver.
The best pillows ever in the rooms :)

Room Tip: Try the club rooms, they are great!
2 Thank Miss Moffat A
Dear KohSamuiMarie
Wow! Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am delighted to read that you had a great experience and on behalf of our General Manager and the rest of the Amari Watergate team we do look forward to welcome you back in your home in Bangkok.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Staff service here is outstanding. Spa is heavenly. Beach bar & restaurant really lovely. ( don't bother with buffet lunch- more suited to business men & women than holiday makers)
Thank you for our lovely cake on our anniversary.
A great base for Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear cutesthepoots
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to read about your experience at our Breeze Spa. Our therapists from the Spa are overwhelmed to learn that their efforts have been so well received. I also conveyed your comment about our lunch buffet to our team and please rest assured that it was taken very seriously thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality.
I hope to welcome you back soon in your base in Bangkok.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed for three nights while in transit and for Bangkok shopping. We we stayed for three nights and were offered an upgrade to an exec room for a supplement, so can only comment on that level. The exec puts you on the top two floors with all the trappings of a first class lounge with treats. This makes The Amari a very special hotel. The rooms are good, clean and bright with a panoramic view of Bangkok which is amazing at night. The exec breakfast is special and more than the Continental buffet that they describe it as. The standard breakfast is just okay.Thai on 4 is a good 'in hotel' restaurant full of locals and authentic food. Described as a buffet, but you choose from a menu and they freshly prepare and serve. Not a buffet in any sense!
Picky drawbacks. Lifts/elevators can be a wait and the location could be one block closer to MBK/Siam Square, but that would not stop us going back -and we did! At the end of our tour. Two weeks later they remembered us. That is the sign of a good hotel.
We will be back next year.

1 Thank Sparkyfletch
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed two nights at the end of our trip in Thailand.
The experience was very pleasant. The staff speak good English and were very helpful in everything we asked.
The breakfast is very rich and nobody will go away hungry...

Excellent location - right across the street is Platinum Fashion Mall and other shopping malls within walking distance or a short drive.

Room Tip: We stayed at the executive room. The view was to the streets of Bangkok. We liked it.
1 Thank elad l