“This is not a five star hotel”

Amari Watergate Bangkok
Ranked #68 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 15, 2013

After a fantastic 2 week holiday in Thailand we stayed two nights in this hotel, as a mystery deal, before returning home, and found it to be very disappointing and not to 5 star standard.

Before the bad stuff there are a couple of good points. First of all, the majority of staff were friendly and courteous. When we ordered room service it arrived promptly and was well presented. We also found the breakfast buffet to have a wide selection of food with delicious freshly baked bread rolls and pastries. The evening musical entertainment in the lobby was also a great touch.

Now for the not so good stuff... We had no choice but to take a smoking room despite the fact it was late in the afternoon and we had requested non smoking. The hotel promised to change to non-smoking the next day. The room was smelly, worn and dated, despite the fact that when we had booked, the hotel promised "contemporary thai design, higher ceilings and upgraded bathroom amenities". My partner was very ill and unable to do much that evening so we decided to order room service and watch a movie. The TV and DVD player did not work and after two hours of waiting and repeated phone calls (where someone talked over the top of me and hung up) someone came at 9:30pm to tell us it was broken and that they could send a maintenance man to repair it, but by then I just wanted to go to sleep. Then there was no information folder for in-room dining menu. After another three phone calls they finally believed us and brought us a folder. My partner had a fever so I went into the bathroom to get a cold face washer but there were none. Furthermore, the lamp on the desk did not work either. The next day I politely made a complaint to the duty manager, and showed her a description of the room we were supposed to be in. She offered an apology and an "upgrade" to the 30th floor. Our new room was identical to the other room except for the smoking smell. As soon as we got in, I decided to run a bath, but was quickly turned off by numerous small curly hairs in the tub from previous guests. Instead I had a shower which was dirty and had used shampoo bottles from the previous guests. The lamp in this room also did not work.

As I had read positive reviews of this hotel I had high expectations, but I have noticed positive reviews coming from those who stayed on the recently renovated executive floors which I believe we were supposed to be staying in, as part of our mystery deal. The rooms we stayed in were not five star rooms and nothing like what we were promised. The hotel obviously has severe management, staff training and quality control issues which need to be addressed. Upon arrival in Bangkok two weeks prior we stayed in a great hotel which was much newer, cleaner, even better location and in which everything worked. The hotel facilities, such as the pool, were also far more superior.

Overall, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Get a room on the executive floor as these are newly renovated.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lucy T
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Lucy T,

Thank you for you taking the time to write about your recent experience at the hotel. Firstly, we appreciate the positive comments you have made about our staff and about the breakfast choices.

Regarding the remainder of your stay, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the service levels, housekeeping and product issues which occured. The issues should not have occured and when they did, they should have been handled more effeciently. I would like to assure you this is genuinely not indicative of our normal standards as you will see from the many positive reviews on here. We will be speaking to all the individuals related to your case and ensure that re-training is applied where neccessary.

With regard to the product, we acknowledge that we need to keep our product fresh. We are currently working on enhancing all the rooms, the executive rooms as you have mentioned, they were completed in 2012 but as you can appreciate with the size of our hotel, a project like this does take some time.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies, we do strive to give our guests the best experience but have fallen short on this occasion. If you did decided to return to Bangkok, we would relish the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and to show you what a great Amari Watergate experience can be.

Yours sincerely,

Ciaran Brazil

Write a ReviewReviews (5,918)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel during the recent Chinese New Year, from 9 to 13 Feb 2013. The stay was indeed a pleasant experience. The checking-in process was swift and the staff demonstrated their efficiency clearly. We have requested two connecting rooms, and the staff tried their very best to get us what we have requested. Of course, they did it with readily smiles. Overall, the staff there rendered their service with friendly attitude and were indeed commendable. The General Manager, Pierre could be seen everywhere in the hotel, always greeting the guests and asking them whether everything was in order. He speaks five languages, and I took the opportunity to chit chat with him in French.

The location of this hotel is really a big plus for travellers and especially those who like to shop, especially for girls (young and old). My daughters and wife enjoyed the daily shopping trips around the hotel and other locations in Bangkok. There are also many eating places around the hotel and one would not have any problem finding food with reasonable price. We enjoy eating at the 6th storey in the shopping centre (Platinum) just opposite the hotel.

The rooms that we had were generally clean and comfortable, although we feel that some of the fixtures in the rooms are a bit old. In any case, we were happy with the hotel rooms. The breakfast has wide variety of food and the services are very good. The Chinese restaurant at the 5th floor of the hotel was also quite good. Indeed, we had our Reunion Dinner at the restaurant. There is however, one area that might require improvement. The response for assistance from the House Keeping was a bit slow. At two occasions, they had even forgotten our call for assistance. I am not sure whether it was due to the language barrier.

Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel for tourists and especially those who enjoy shopping. Getting to places in Bangkok from this hotel is also easy.

Merci Pierre, et a bientot.
KB

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear tuasiao

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I was delighted to read that you had such a great experience and that so many aspects from the friendly staff, great location, Heichenrou amongst many others contributed to your experience.

I have made careful note about the housekeeping response being slow and I apologise for this. We will speak to the team here to ensure this does not occur. I would also like to let you know that we are currently about to start phase two of our room enhancement programme, our executive floors and lounge were completed in 2012, as you can appreciate with a hotel of our size, this does take time but I hope when you return, you will be able to see the great change in the bedroom product.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write, we truly appreciate it. I will be sure to pass on all your kind words to Mr Pelletier ( Pierre) which I know he will be delighted to receive and along with all the team here, we look forward to welcoming you back to your "home" in Bangkok in the not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hard to fault this hotel. Rooms are a good size, quiet, comfortable and spotless. Great breakfast and the Thai restaurant does some of the best food in Bangkok. Nice pool area and decent gym, with a good range of equipment. Good location, with plenty of shopping and dining nearby and not far from a Skytrain station; just a short walk from Pratunam Pier, from where you can get a high-speed boat along the klong to Golden Mount, which is just a short tuktuk ride from the Grand Palace and Wat Po - a fun way to avoid the Bangkok traffic. And the staff at the Amari are first rate, everything that staff in the hospitality industry should be.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Doug M,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I was delighted to read you had such a great experience and that so many elements from the location, bedrooms and most importantly our team and the service offered, contributed to the experience.

We strive to ensure our guests have the best experience when staying with us so to hear your kind words is a great moral boost to the team. I will be sure to pass on all your comments.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write and I do hope it won't be too long before we are welcoming you back to your "home" in Bangkok again.

Ciaran Brazil.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Friends of mine have often commented that they can’t really get a good feel for Bangkok with a stay of only a few days. First experience can lead to it being a “Love it” or “Hate it “ type of City.
One of the reasons for this is that they may make the wrong choice of location for their accommodation.
The Amari Watergate is in the perfect location. Central in the Pratunam district in the heart of the most varied and vibrant shopping and street market area. You will find yourself popping in and out of the hotel to visit, stalls, covered markets, department stores and restaurants. All within a few minutes walk which is important in 30+degree heat.
Back in the Hotel you will find friendly and efficient staff. Spotlessly clean rooms and public areas throughout. Good sized, well appointed rooms and bathrooms.
I have always found the Amari showers to be second to none.
What will make your stay so enjoyable is that the Hotel is managed so actively from the top down and this generates a great team effort by the staff to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear M44SEL,

Thank you for your glowing review of the hotel. It was lovely to read your take on the property and I wholeheartly agree with you, if you get the right location it definetly can make or break your Bangkok experience.

Obviously I am delighted we fall into the positive side for this and that you found our product and most importantly our service met and hopefully exceeded your expectations.When it comes to service, Mr Pelletier our General Manager most definetly leads the hotel from the front and this in turns cascades down throughout the team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I do hope we will be welcoming you back to your "home" in Bangkok in the not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My recent stay at Amari Watergate was with many challenges: super peak (Chinese new year), large group (was there was my family of 8) and bad planning (in our part).

But I have to say the team at Amari saved the day.

Specifically Mr. Tom(orn Onsawai), Assistant Manager, Concierge.

His patience and honesty, not to mention his ability to direct his guest to the most obscure, but the best kept secret in Bangkok, on where to eat, shop and any request under the sun, made the trip work.

Tom, thank you, not just for saving the trip.

Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear SIngaporetravel2013

Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. I was delighted to read that our team stepped up to the mark and especially Khun Tomorn, who always does his very best to ensure our guests are happy.

It is always hugely appreciated when our guests take the time to write and highlight some of our stars. Thank you once again and I do hope we will be welcoming you back to the Amari Watergate in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Only hotel I have stayed in Bangkok, but didn't need to look any further. I was upgraded to an executive floor, and wow, what a beautiful room. The breakfast lounge with personalized table stations was impeccable. Would recommend Amari hotels anywhere, as I stayed in the Phuket property during a remodel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear globetrotter60,

Thank you for your great review of the hotel. I was delighted to read you had such an enjoyable stay and that the hotel has become your preferred choice when in Bangkok. I was pleased to see you enjoyed the Executive floor and view from the lounge which have proven even more popular since their recent refurbishment.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write and I will be sure to pass your kind words to all the team. I hope it won't be too long before we are welcoming you back to your home in Bangkok.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great hotel, great stay for few days. Very good service and friendly staff. If you need any assistence they help you very good and nice. The breakfast buffet is the best i have ever had in Bangkok big hotels. I will be back in this hotel next when time when i come to Bangkok.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. There are smoking and non smoking so better choose the non smoking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Corinneke,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I was delighted to read you had such an enjoyable stay and that certain aspects such as the breakfast options and most importantly the friendly service contributed to this.

Your kind words are appreciated and I will be sure to share them with the team. I hope it won't be too long before we are welcoming you back to your " home" in Bangkok.