“A fantastic oasis in a dirty city”

Amari Watergate Bangkok
Ranked #67 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a very clean and modern hotel, with excellent service. The pool area is fantastic. Located on 8th floor it is removed from the noise and heat of the busy road. It is an quiet oasis. It is perfect for a night swim, with a nice view. Access to the pool is included for all guests, and a towel is provided in the pool area.

In theory Bangkok has metered taxis, however almost every driver will try to get a fixed price and argue that the rush traffic is terrible today and therefore it must be fixed. When you order a taxi through the front desk this never happened, they would take you anywhere by meter without complaint.

Compared to western prices the food and drinks in the hotel is not expensive, but if you compare it to what you pay elsewhere in Bangkok they are. The restaurant Thai on 4, served fantastic Thai food. Appetizer, dinner and desert for two ran at about 2.000 bath.

1  Thank akaLars
SaurabhKukreja, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear akaLars,

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is always a real a pleasure to hear that our guests find our hotel, its food, facilities and especially the service of our team members to their expectations. We always take special care in ensuring that both our product and services are the very best in the city and our guests have a hassle free, memorable stay. I am pleased we were able to deliver this for you. We look forward to welcoming you again during your future visits.

Saurabh

Write a ReviewReviews (6,141)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pros: Rooms are large, the restaurants are nice, and reasonable, and the staff are mostly courteous, free wifi. Beds are nice.

Cons: Had to wait 3 hours to check-in (arrived at 1pm). Rooms is noisy - loud music and car noises from the street below (to the 24th floor!!) and I can hear the neighbours through the walls. The decor on the 24th floor is very tired. Bathrooms, carpet and room furniture need a makeover on this level (it seems I should have asked for the 15th floor after reading some of these reviews). Double glazing definitely required on the windows.

I wasn't the only one waiting for a room - it seemed like about 20 keys on the desk waiting for housekeeping to clean the rooms to let us in. I don't mind a little wait, however if I knew how long it would be I would have made use of the time - I was told in would be 1-1.5 hours.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the upgraded floors.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank StephanieKrishnan
SaurabhKukreja, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear StephanieKrishnan,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with Amari Watergate. I would begin by saying that we at Amari Watergate take pride in providing unparalleled service to each and every guest of our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you had to wait a long time for your room to be ready. I have investigated this and realised there was a large group check-out which delayed the cleaning and hence the allocation of the rooms to incoming guests. This is however a rare occasion and I would personally like apologise for this. I would also like to inform you that the hotel is currently underdoing staged renovation and all guest rooms and facilities are being enhanced to ensure the product meets the service standards it aims to offer. I sincerely hope that your last experience will not deter you from booking with us again and you would give us an opportunity to change your experience into a positive and memorable one.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at Amari Watergate - what a gem of an hotel. Recommend you book a room at the executive floor, giving you accress to the lounge on the 32nd floor with incredible views over Bangkok. Evening cocktails are a real treat and can substitute dinner, so extensive is the choice. Rooms are extremely comfortable and quiet. Modern, trendy in design and yet very homely. Wide choice of food available at the hotel, all of which is of high standard.
This is probably the hotel with the most personalized service I ever stayed. Professional and friendly staff and management who cares - going around greeting guests and enquiring whether all is up to expectations. We shall definitely return on our next visit to Bangkok.

1  Thank kuede
SaurabhKukreja, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Kuede,

Please accept our sincere gratitude for a great feedback. We at Amari Watergate hotel are continuously looking to improve and our valued guests are our biggest critics. I am very pleased that we were able to make your stay at the hotel a very positive and memorable one. Such reviews give our team immense motivation and assurance that our efforts and hard work does pay off in the form of happy, satified guests. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you again at Amari Watergate Hotel.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Awesome Service, Excellent location and all of above friendly n courteous staff what else anybody wants? :) .....rooms are very spacious, clean and free wifi, stayed on 15th floor nice view , beautiful lobby with traditional Thai music, you can find any kind of food from Cascade on ground floor, sandwiches are simply awesome and if you like deserts then u should try Banana Split.
EXCELLENT COURTEOUS STAFF 10/10

Room Tip: Try to get room on upper floor so that u can have a good view of the city
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear RaheelR.

Thank you for your brilliant review of the hotel. I am delighted to read that all aspects of your stay from location, free wifi, hotel facilties made for such a good stay.

We were especially pleased to hear our staff took such good care of you, we work hard to provide the best service for our clients and it will be a great boost to hear your kind words.

Once again, a very big thank you from the team here and I hope we will be welcoming you back to your "home" in Bangkok in the not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband an I stayed at The Amari Watergate last month for 2 nights before joining our cruise ship to tour to Beijing.
Having stayed in Bangkok twice before I can definitely say this was the best hotel accommodation we have enjoyed.
The staff were courteous and always attentive and the bed was one of the best I have ever slept in. A bit higher than we were used to but that was a minor inconvenience
The breakfast was more than adequate and we took advantage of the coffee shop/bar and had lunch and drinks there both evenings. Particularly liked the build your own sandwich option on the lunch menu.
We also dined at the in house Thai Restaurant one evening (the name escapes me) and it was excellent and not too expensive.
One reason we chose this hotel was that it was close to Jim Thompson's House which we wanted to visit and we enjoyed the tour about this interesting man. I then headed for the shop where there are beautiful examples of the silk Jim Thompson was famous for developing as a trade outside Thailand. Just as well I didn't stay too long as I could have spent a lot more than I did.
All up a very pleasant stay and we will return to the Amari Watergate.

Room Tip: Would up to Club Class if staying any longer than 1 night
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear gemmabel,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay with us. It was great to hear you enjoyed the food options at the hotel from breakast at Promenade, Cascade our lobby restaurant and Thai on 4 where we have wonderful authentic Thai cuisine.

I was especially pleased to read that our staff were so courteous, I will be sure to pass your kind comments to all the the team here.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write and I do hope it won't be long before we are welcoming you to your " home" in Bangkok.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Excellent hotel in a really good location. We stayed in an Executive Room which I would recommend as the Lounge is a really good facility up on the 32nd floor with good views. The free drinks and snacks service between 5-7pm is a great idea.

Rooms very quiet, spacious, clean and very well maintained. The beds are amongst the most comfortable I have ever had anywhere in the world.

Staff very corteous and very helpful. I would definitely use this hotelagain

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear JandHQ,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. The Executive rooms and lounge have proven very popular since they were refurbished and opened in September so it's great that you got to enjoy the facilities there.
The beds here are also proving just as popular and a good nights sleep is just so important especially after a day in a busy city like Bangkok.

Your kinds words about our staff are duly noted and I will be sure to relay your positive comments.

Once again, thank you for taking to write and I hope it won't be too long before we are welcoming you back to your "home" in Bangok.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

It was when the receptionist said "Welcome Home" that I remembered what a great hotel the Amari Watergate is! I have been staying there on my visits to Bangkok for some 10 years now and have always been impressed. I have also stayed at the Marriott and the Hyatt but much prefer the Amari Watergate. The rooms are always immaculate with every facility required to make my stay really comfortable. The breakfast is very impressive in either the regular Promenade or the Executive Lounge. The recently upgraded Cascade is a delight, with a good menu and cakes to die for!! The spa and salon are very "Amari" with attentive staff and a happy smile. The location is ideal as you have easy access to CentreWorld, Platinum, Pantip for shopping and the MRT to get around town. The good thing about the staff is that they are happy to be working there - and it shows. Always a smile, always helpful and always there when you want them. The GM, Pierre Andre, can often be seen chatting to his guests and checking to receive comments personally. The Amari Watergate earns its 5 Stars everyday, in every way!! I travel to the UK and around South East Asia and always look forward to my visits to bangkok and the Amari Watergate. I rate this hotel as excellent - it has never let me down!!

Room Tip: I always ask for a non-smoking room and always get one. I also like to be on a higher floor and ever...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear LeonS,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the hotel. It was a delight to read how much you enjoy coming to the hotel, and as our receptionist phrased it "your home" in Bangkok.

It was always great to hear from our loyal guests what it is that keeps them coming back to the hotel. Your kind words about all the team are very well received, and I will be sure to relay them to everyone, we work hard to deliver the best service to our guests so it gives us a great boost to hear your great comments.

Mr Pelletier is a fantastic leader and his passion for great service inspires all the team here.

Once again, a very big thank you from everyone here, we really appreciate you taking the time out to write your review. I do hope it won't be long before we are welcoming you back to the hotel as a warm welcome awaits you at your "home" in Bangkok.