“Four nights at the Amari Watergate”

Amari Watergate Bangkok
Ranked #72 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stay at Amari Watergate Bangkok
18-22nd May 2012
A party of 15 of us arrived at the Amari during the evening of the 18th May. We had flown from Bali. We were on a “Book for three nights and get an extra night free” basis. The cost for the quality of the hotel represented very good value.
Our introduction to the hotel was not encouraging. As we arrived by bus, we entered by what could be termed the “tradesman’s entrance” and we waited for our luggage in this rather dimly lit and shabby area. We were given fruit cocktails and made somewhat welcome and were asked to wait.
After a short time, we were taken by elevator to the Lobby which was chalk and cheese compared with where we had arrived. A huge well lit area with plenty of activity. Check in was reasonably efficient and we were given our room keys. Our luggage arrived after a short delay.
As I was on my own, I had a double bedded room and in compensation, I was given free internet access.
Some of our party went to Henry J Bean’s Bar in the basement and got to know a lot of useful information about Bangkok- including where one got the best exchange rate (Super Rich- not far away), and which market to attend on a Saturday (Chatuchak).
My room was very adequate with the usual facilities. For the first couple of days, I ”fell” into the bathroom that was down a small step- the caution notice was tiny. The bed was firm and that suited me, but a few of our party felt that the beds were too hard. I had a peaceful night, but an irritation was that the toilets worked on a central high pressure system and thus it was possible to hear toilets being flushed in other rooms and other floors and this could just happen when you were dozing off. One night, there was a very loud party in the passage and a room on our floor and the noise went on for a long time.
In the morning, I found the breakfast room on the fourth floor outstanding with a huge variety of foods both Western and Oriental. The range of fruits was impressive and constantly topped up.
We set out to explore and discovered the Hotel to be very central and within easy walking distance of the shops – in particular Central World which was reasonably close to both the Chidlom and Siam stations on the BTS overhead rail system.
I had been to Bangkok a few years ago, but again was impressed with this modern bustling place. After a visit to Chatuchak market- which is huge, I returned via BTS and discovered a smaller mall known as Amarin Plaza. It became my favourite and I had a light lunch there every day and bought silk items in the part known as the Thai market.
When I emerged, the streets were awash with Red Shirts- people from the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship whose leader, Thaksin Shinawatra is in exile. There were thousands of people on the streets and I felt very conspicuous as a lone elderly Westerner dressed in a blue shirt! However the crowd seemed remarkably well behaved and disciplined and I was able to walk back to the Amari Watergate.
Due to this rally, we decided to eat at Henry J Bean’s pub and most of our party found their way there during the evening. The group that played was very talented and versatile but too loud for my taste (maybe I am just too old)
Other than visiting them, I did not partake of the facilities of the hotel such as the pool or the spa, but they looked to be of a very high standard. The other dining facilities also seemed good.
Our group went on a river cruise and I will write separately about that.
I had shirts made to measure for me at a tailor in the town- I got 7 for the price of 6 and had to throw some other items away to get the stuff I bought in my case.
A must not too far from the hotel is MBK-a huge shopping area with 8 floors and 2000 shops selling a galaxy of goods. The electronic section had the latest fads at very reasonable prices.
Much of our time in Bangkok was spent in the shops and I guess that four days was sufficient.
We were fortunate that our check out time on our last day was 6pm so we had our rooms for the whole day.
We also had time to relax in the lobby . This had the most amazing flower arrangement with orchids, and two charming Thai girls in traditional costume who played Thai instruments- a khim struck by two hammers and a Thai zither with strings that is plucked.
We once again left from the basement and everything worked smoothly for our return to Suvarnabhumi airport and our journey home.
All in all, everyone enjoyed their stay in Bangkok- for many of us; this was not our first visit. We found the Amari Watergate very acceptable, of a high standard and centrally placed. The facilities and service represented excellent value for money.

Room Tip: The hotel has interesting views over the city on all sides
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank EastLondonEjs

Reviewed June 17, 2012

One night stay in Bangkok and it was not a nice experience, my admin colleague booked this hotel based on the price and location which was close to the meeting place with one of our clients.
I expect hotel staff to smile during check-in and answer every, even stupid question I ask about the place, as I am their client and might not know everything.
There was no smile and everything was done in a rush.
Room was not nice too, it was really smelly (especially from the bathroom) and not cleaned properly. Checkout - this time I was in rush but had to wait for the staff to finalise the payment which took very long. Again, no smile.
Luckily it was just one night and I checked in very late so I didnt bother to ask for a room change but next time I will make sure to look for alternative hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Sunish S, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear “Jakub_KL”,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and posting your experience here on tripadvisor.

I was disappointed to hear of the indifferent behavior you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that we are retraining our team members to ensure that this does not happen again. We pride ourselves on delivering all our guests a great experience at all times and I would like you to rest assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and rest assured your comments have been shared accordingly.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future so that we can provide you with a true Amari experience.

Kind regards,

Sunish

Reviewed June 14, 2012

the location of the hotel is amazing. However the bathroom had a horrible stink. When we complained a lady came and sprayed a room freshener, however, that didnt make the smell go away. The breakfast was quite disappointing. We stayed there for three days, other than 2 dishes all dishes are repeated.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aishwarya R

Dear Aiswarya R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Amari Watergate Bangkok. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the location and I am very sorry to learn that the bathroom and breakfast cast a shadow over your experience.

As you can see from most of the reviews, we serve a very good spread of buffet breakfast with items varying from European, American, Indian, Middle Eastern as well as South East Asian varieties. Please email me directly with further details on the particulars of the breakfast spread you did not liked and we will be pleased to make changes accordingly. We have also done a retraining with our Housekeeping team to ensure fresh smell in all our bathrooms.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and should you be making another booking or wish to discuss your feedback further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on sunish.sadasivan@amari.com.

Kind regards,

Sunish

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I chosed this hotel as it locates in a great location, near shopping area and close to BTS skytrain make it easy to travel around Bangkok. I stayed here for 4 nights, the room is very spacious, clean & functional with usual amenities provided. What impress me the most is their staffs very friendly, attentive, helpful. Service with a smile every time!

I would be very happy to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RunciW
Reviewed June 13, 2012

*from the moment one checks in to the moment one leaves this establishment...

*from the moment you are greeted by the manger of the hotel, to the moment you are waved off by a bellboy at concierge...

*from the staff by the pool to the traditional thai musicians in the foyer of an evening...

*from a midnight snack from room service to the new terrace cafe

there really is only one word....EXCEPTIONAL

having stayed here for both business and pleasure,all expectations have been met above and beyond anything one could have hoped for. staying at the amari watergate is as much a part of the thailand experience as the country itself.
and if you, like i am, are privileged enough to come from an economically fortunate country like australia...put your hand in your pocket and tip the staff, don't be cheap....and be sure and leave all your local coins to go towards thai schools.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the platinum mall, its a nicer view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank s w
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked this hotel through our travel agent for 3 nights stay in Bangkok. This property is located right in the shopping district - opposite the wholesale Platinum Mall with other similar malls next to it, the (Pantip) mall that sells IT products opposite the road, Isetan and Centrepoint within 10 mins walking distance. And a supermarket (Big C) also nearby. For those planning on MBK, you might want to consider a taxi or tut-tut. On the map, the hotel is located between two train stations, and the walk to one of them is not too complicated or taxing for our group (ie, flat terrain).
Upon check-in, we told the staff we actually requested for a double-bed instead of twin-bed (as what was said by our travel agent), but she said the hotel had already reserved the twin rooms and we had to wait if we want a double bed as the room is not yet ready. We were given our allocated rooms on the 25th floor which overlooks the Baiyoke Sky Hotel plus a welcome fruit platter & macaroons in my partner's parents room ; these made-up for not having a double bed. We had the corner room which is huge and way-too-spacious for the both of us, plus a very roomy toilet, so no complaints.
Sleep-quality was good, especially after I requested for one of their "premium" pillows. My partner had also requested for one of those, but the housekeeping guy brought him the normal one separately. I guess this is how they earn their tips. Very quiet on our floor so I guess it depends on the crowd.
One of our rooms was not tidied on our 2nd night stay, and the Housekeeping Supervisor came to "show care and concern", obviously after we made some feedback. I guess they were having a busy day and lost track of some rooms. Nonetheless, the rooms were cleaned to a decent standard everyday.
Complimentary wi-fi is available, but the connection is unstable. And there will be no access after you checked out your room and sit in the lobby while waiting for your airport transfer.
At check-in, we had made a request for late check-out. The staff said ok, but when I went to confirm the late check-out on our last day, the staff said cannot because they were expecting a large group to come in and needed the room. When I said we were planning to freshen up before heading to the airport, the staff mentioned that they have facilities on the 8th floor for this purpose but we did not used it.
The porters at the lobby are very "sensitive" to movement - we tried to move our luggage from one end of the lobby to the main entrance as our airport transfer had arrived, and the next thing we knew 2 guys in uniform moved (at high speed) across the lobby to help us. And the lobby was very crowded at that time, so their efforts are highly commendable.
Breakfast-wise,the selection offered were decent and catered to the international crowd they housed. Japanese, Asian, Indian, Western, bread (usual station with quite a bit of selections), Middle Eastern (pita bread + hummus !), cereals, salad and fruits; also an egg station plus pancake prepared upon order. One will be well-fed and filled for the day here. And a must-mention is the attentiveness of the staff who clear your plates almost upon cue.
Overall, good experience at the hotel and will choose to stay again, and also recommend to fellow travelers. But will consider staying the non-peak season, maybe the service will better and more attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Baiyoke Sky Hotel for the night view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank wtgn_ling
Reviewed June 12, 2012

i been to some hotels but still Amari watergate is the best hotel for me... i have been staying at this hotel for many times....good location,foods,service, very clean room last but no least the staffs are very polite and friendly. A lot of shopping mall in walking distance. trust me .... its one of the best hotel that I have stayed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends