“Shocking Sukhumvit”

Amari Boulevard Bangkok
Ranked #265 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on the first leg of our tour of Thailand & we definitely got the seedy Bangkok experience staying in this area of Sukhumvit. Do not be fooled by the Burj Al Arab-style architectural 'sail' design or the alluring green neon lights, this is a nasty place if ever there was one. It was a mistake to stay here and I am miffed as to how Trailfinders - whom we booked through - could recommend this as a decent resort which it clearly wasn't.

The lobby is vast and gives a false impression of luxury; once inside the lift (which, by-the-way, has the deadliest door mechanism that nearly sliced us in half on numerous occasions) you are whisked away to fairly non-descript corridors and a horrid basic room waaaaay below what should classify as 4*-star standards. Please see my photos of the dodgy step & mouldy shower corners. How this exemplifies 'deluxe' is beyond me. The room had a basic balcony, it was a block of concrete with a view of mostly...concrete! There was constant noise from the nearby Sukhumvit line of the Skytrain and various eateries/nightclubs directly below the hotel so a restful night was an impossibility. An odd & obvious thing we noticed was that the reception staff were much more conducive & friendlier to visitors from the middle east, a fact loudly observed by other European guests staying at the hotel the same time as us.

Unfortunately, the area of Nana directly surrounding the hotel exemplifies the worst of Bangkok's seedy reputation: there were curb-crawlers & their p***ps on every corner and they were extremely aggressive in their touting for custom. The market stalls lining the streets were dirty & seedy & a real obstacle to being able to walk through the streets. There were dubious men of a certain age proudly parading their new acquisitions, obviously underage Thai girls. The hotel itself seemed to cater for a large multitude of Arab families but I was then surprised that these modestly dressed females in full burka allowed their young children free reign to witness the unsavoury goings-on in the nearby streets. I certainly would not feel comfortable bringing my family to stay here, it's local industries are far too 'adult' in nature & I stress it is not a healthy nor a safe environment for young children.

The three positives to the hotel that I can muster in this review are a) the urban pool area, a little oasis in the middle of the asphalt jungle which my husband assured me was very relaxing to use, b) the Foodland mart directly opposite the hotel steps which was a perfect one-stop shop for all your basic essentials, groceries as well as a cheap & convenient place to have breakfast, and c) Nana Skytrain stop is literally a minute's walk away from 2 Soi and you can quickly hop on to escape from here!

On the last evening of our stay here, my good Thai friend and her mother kindly dropped us off back at the Amari Boulevard after spending the evening out. My friend was very worried and embarassed that her mum had to drive through this part of Sukhumvit & when I quizzed her on the area she said it has a reputation even among locals as being 'dodgy'. That sums it up neatly. Enough said.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, save your dough for a water-front hotel instead!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Baba-Waga
ABFrenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for your comprehensive review about the hotel and its surroundings. We do appreciate your highlighting our proximity to the sky train which and the convenience of stores nearby which is one of the main reason why several travelers select the Amari Boulevard.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the condition of the superior room assigned to you, which will be addressed. I am also concerned if you felt discriminated at the reception, which I shall also review. Despite our popularity with guests from the Gulf States we are still blessed to have several regular guests from various countries, including Europeans.

There is indeed a wide choice of areas to stay within the city. I would only point out the fact that what you highlighted is not visible during day time which explains why we do also have families staying with us. People chosing to stay in our area do so also due to the proximity to several shopping facilities as well as a very wide choice of good restaurants and entertainment venues also popular among local residents and Thai citizens. We fully understand your reaction if this is not what you expected. I appreciate your input which I hope will assist other travelers looking for quieter surroundings not to be further taken by surprise.

Yours sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Don't stay here. I reserved at this hotel due to a recommendation from an American tour guide with whom I was traveling with to Burma. I guess she got the kick back? I would not recommend this hotel unless you are a religious Muslim. It is in a Muslim area of Bangkok and filled with Muslim folks. The women mostly stay close to home (in their rooms) and hubbies bring them their food from the local arab restaurants. It is very near a reputable hospital, Bumrungrad, which may be a good reason to stay there, if you need to be at the hospital. I arrived after a 24 hour trip at about 1am to find no room was ready. Although I reserved a non-smoking room weeks in advance I was given, against my objection, a smoking room anyway after almost 45 minutes of waiting at the reservations desk. A smoking room is REALLY a smoking room, if you've ever been to Las Vegas, you know what I mean. In addition, no hot water! When they changed my room the next day to a non smoking room, there was still not hot water. I was told that the engineer determined that there was hot water in my room. Ok, so I took cool showers. The shower drain didn't work and it almost overflowed. The toilet was a bad flush so I'm glad I didn't get Bangkok bellly there! They did not clean my room after being out from 7 am to 5 pm and had to send someone up to get fresh towels, etc. after I came in from a tiring day touring the city. Just want to add, the staff is very sweet and kind and try very hard to help, and the French assistant manager was sincere and well intended. It somehow feels like things are out of their hands. However, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, (not the pillows, of course), no bed bugs in my room, the location is near the Skytrain stop and very lively all night, and it is a reputable hotel. However, it is in an Arab section of town and all around it are mid eastern restaurants. Did you want to be in Bangkok or Dubai? Just sayin

Room Tip: The employees are really lovely but it seems to be out of their hands to control things.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Susan C

Thank you very much for your review. I was very sorry to read about your experience and about the fact that we were unable to provide you with the requested room on that particular evening. Please accept my apologies for the technical as well as service shortcomings you experienced which we have addressed. We appreciate your kind comments made towards our Assistant Manager and his colleagues and about the practicality of our location. Indeed our area of the city has become popular with guests from the Gulf States mainly due to the proximity of Bumrungrad Hospital. Note that if the area directly in front of the hotel has several middle-eastern restaurants and shops, within a short walking distance on soi 11 there is a cosmopolitan choice of restaurants which include French, Australian, German and Japanese only to name a few, which contributes to the popularity of the Sukhumvit area.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Amari boulevard hotel, though old, has its charms. The rooms were spacious with king sized beds but the pillows were hard. Our bathroom had a small leaking problem. Small pudles form under the water closet when used. i wanted to change rooms but my daughter refused to get up from the bed.

The lobby hotel staff and peppermill restaurant werevery helpful and was eager to help. the server in the season restaurant on the 6th floor, however was yawning several times and was nit very helpful.

Food was average and expensive. they could have served thai dishes alongside continental breakfast. they give a bowl of fruits in the afternoon.

what is great with this hotel is its location. there was a 24hour convenience store and diner accross the street. it was a ten minute walk to the sky train.

Room Tip: ask for the room with a balcony facing the pool. book the room early and ask for an upgrade upon che...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
ABFrenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your review. We were happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel overall and appreciate your comments which will help us to improve our services. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Don't be fooled by the 'book early, save money' promise on their website....we were! Despite having booked 2 months in advance they sent us off to another hotel when we tried to check-in, saying they were full and couldn't provide us with a room for at least 2-3 hours. We were charged an enormous amount 2000 Bhat for the Taxi that took us to the other hotel and they hid the fact that we were being given rooms on a smoking floor!!! It took us a while to realize how we had been conned into believing that we were being given an upgrade! The staff running this place need to be taken to task by the AMARI management if they want to maintain their reputation for ethical conduct.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tkachru

Thank you for your review and please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this case where your reservation with us could not be honored. Since this was an exceptional situation we shall get back to you separately. We only would like to point out that the above-mentioned price was for a limousine from the airport to the centre as ordered. No extra charge was made for the transfer to the other hotel. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel was really what I expected. True, the room (DLX) was in need of refurb but still good. The bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate. Old hotels bring old problems, but not that bad at all. The price for breakfast was laughable (800 baht) and is more expensive than lunch. I ate out. It is a shame that these hotels charge 200 for a small beer as I am sure people would stay in more often. All said, very satisfied.

Room Tip: DLX room was fine
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our breakfast buffet offers and extensive choice to accommodate different tastes. The net upfront price is over THB 700, however kindly note that rooms are bookable including breakfast with a minor difference over the room rate without breakfast. Our beverage pricing is indeed in line with other hotels.
Yours sincerely.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My usual hotel was full and I ended up staying here and I was not disappointed. We ended up in the older part of the hotel and enjoyed a room with a king sized bed and a balcony overlooking the pool area. The hotel is centrally situated in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok and there are many bars and restaurants nearby. Also to hand is the night market set up along the pavements selling everything from souvenirs, lamps, clothing and the usual pirated DVDs. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
ABFrenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your review. We were pleased to learn that you found the Amari Boulevard to be a good alternative for this stay in Bangkok, and look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Bangkok. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Whilst true that the rooms could do with a refurb, there's nothing about them that makes them uninhabitable. The beds are a good size, the wardrobes have plenty of space - and hangers - and there is far more cupboard space that usual. Having said that, the bathrooms would benefit from being modernized.
The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful.
It's location is great for tailors, market stalls, massage parlours, bars, restaurants, and the more exotic of Bangkok's attractions.

Room Tip: The higher up the building you go, the better the view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Yours sincerely.