“Disappointing”

Ranked #161 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Calgary, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Good thing we are only here for one night. Just check in and i do not know if it is because we are in the old part but very old room, we ask for 2 twin beds, at first we got a queen and now we have 2 but they are right next to each other, no wifi in the room, have to go to the lobby. The elevator smells of mildew.... The room was probably last renovated in the 80. Only good thing is that it is right across from the airport.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lau1967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The time on my watch indicated it was midnight as we made our way across the flyover from Don Muang Airport to Amari Hotel. There was no jet lag but it had been a long day and we desperately needed a few hours of shut eye before our early morning flight.

Check-in was quick. They did require a credit card to cover incidentals. The clerk handed me our key card and pointed to her right telling us where is the elevator. I had to ask what floor our room is on.

We followed in the path of a guest who checked-in before us and as we rounded a corner he was headed back towards us with a frown on his face. He hadn't been able to locate the elevator. Looking down the hall there were no signs that pointed the way. We looked some more but no luck so we made the journey back to reception. We were informed we had to walk to the back of the hotel and turn left down a narrow passage where we would find the lift. It had taken us longer to get there than it did for us to get to the hotel from the airport.

The room was okay. A big bed was waiting for us. The mini-bar, for which I had provided a credit card contained only four items. Hmmm? I awoke to the alarm at 5AM and immediately had flashback to my army days sleeping out in the elements during winters in Korea and Germany. I was glad no icicles had formed. I located the thermostat but discovered it was disabled. Fortunately, my wife spotted the master control I has missed in my haste to get some sleep.

A warm shower would thaw me out. It wasn't to be. By the time any warmth came out of the shower head I was finished.

At check out I requested my card info back. I was informed they keep a hold charge on the card for 10-14 days. After much debate she agreed to cancel it. While waiting I noticed a bank of elevators to the left of reception. I asked about why we weren't directed to those lifts. She said the other is closer to our room. But it is easier to follow numbered rooms through a hallway than to go on a quest for a lift that is more elusive than El Dorado.

A foreign traveler arrived while we were still waiting. He was wanting to check in because his flight just arrived. One of the clerks felt the need to speak loudly in English to inform him that check in wasn't possible until 2PM. She didn't bother checking and from what I had seen the place wasn't full booked. I hope this wasn't his first visit to Thailand hasn't had a chance to experience the great Thai hospitality I have. I do know one thing, this was my first and last stay at Amari. If in this situation again I will invest time and money to take a taxi to another hotel.

1 Thank DarwinND
Rio Frio, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Chose this Hotel because we were flying out of Don Muang Airport the next day. Booked a suite with breakfast. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast buffet was tasty and there was plenty to choose from. The hotel has declined a bit from my last stay, but there were no issues. The bellman helped us take our luggage across the footbridge and to the ticket counter which was awesome!!

Room Tip: book a suite with breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose this hotel as we were flying out of Don Muang airport early in the morning. We arrived very tired after our flight from Australia and I have to say it was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!!! Bliss! We had an extra bed as there were two adults and two kids - the main bed was two large singles put together - which was fine for three of us.
Easy walk to the airport the following morning.
Perfect stop-over hotel :0)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RachelPhillipsinOz
Utrecht
Reviewed November 23, 2012

You can see that the hotel is in decline since Don Muang isn't the primairy airport of Bangkok any more. Still, the rooms are quite o.k., spacious, and on a 4-star level. The rest of the facilities isn't any more, and service is without a smile.

The hotel offers transfers to and from the airport for 200 Bath per person, because it is at the other side of the highway, but there is also an overpass directly from the arrivals hall to the hotel. It's much quicker to use that.

Room Tip: Some of the none smoking rooms can smell strongly of smoke. But the staff is happy to offer you an a...
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Right smack across the road to thailand's domestic airport Don Muang, you can walk from the hotel's level 2, across the road to the airport's departure hall. So, when your flight is delayed for 4 hours like my NOK Airlines, I simply walk back to my room to watch TV!. My room's furnishing is a bit old, but it was clean and well maintained. Breakfast is poor by Thai standard. Service is so, so, but also poor by Thai standard. Only 1 device is allowed to be logged into yr internet account. At the lobby, no free WIFI, unless u buy something at the lobby cafe. When I took my bedroom slippers with me, because I suspected that my next provincial hotel will provide none, I was asked to return them when I checked out. But, if they offered to sell them to me! ( In China, japan, Taiwan n Korea, these are given out FOC). There was only 3 power socket in my room, including the TV socket.Overall, it was a nice hotel, but gave the impression that they wanna charge me for every little thing.

Room Tip: Make sure when they say the room come with breakfast, confirm whether one or 2 breakfast. During my...
graz
Reviewed November 18, 2012

to start: the hotel itself its nice and if you get an newly rennovated room, its even a good deal.
anyway, the hospitality provided while check inn and arriving its the worst we ever have had in thailand.
keep in mind this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. (on their homepage they even post: "amari first class hotel brand", forget that, every ibis has better service).

check inn: no bellboy, had to wait long bcs the opened just 1 counter.
and now it starts: the recetionist didnt said any hello, welcome to amari, or sawhdikhrap!!! nothing just looked with an angry face, she just said: your passport sir!
not any nice word or smile!
and not nice talking in thai language!

it tookes 15 minutes to get our key, even we booked throught their homepage. and had to fill out again the registration card. why??? they had all our details in their computer. usually you just have to sign and in a good hotel everything is done by the receptionist. but forget abouth that in amari don muang.

the receptionist did not even had any aknowledge that amari hotels have an partnership with bangkok airways, to collect miles per stay. its stated clearly on the flyerbonus homepage from bangkok airways. the receptionist told that there is no partnership bettween amari and bangkok airways!!!!! (only with qatar airways she said?).

definatly completly unproffesional staff at check in, and overall so incredible unfriendly!!!

we have been to other amari hotels, which where very nice, so i really dont understand whats wrong with this place.

but the persons working there for check in at the reception are a shame for the thai hospitality!!!

the managment couldnt care less: have sented an enquiri to the hotel to sort out the problems we had. and yes, 2 weeks past, they not even answer!

this hotel is a shame for the amari brand and the usually great hospitality recived in the land of smiles!

4 Thank michi1981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Thip Mansion Don Mueang
#480 of 863 in Bangkok
Novotel Bangkok IMPACT
Novotel Bangkok IMPACT
#1 of 10 in Pak Kret

Been to Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok? Share your experiences!