“high recommended”

Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok
Ranked #170 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 5, 2012

i stayed here for only 8 hours since I arrived in BKK from HKG was after midnight and my domestic flight to Phuket was before noon time but I must say that the room i had was big clean cozy, I really love the very comfy kingsize bed which can fit 3 people. wish i could have stayed longer. you just need to walk a pedestian bridge to go to the airport so checking in for your flight is very easy. i will stay here again if i have a domestic flight within Thailand. i would recommend it to anyone. wifi is free but slow in the room so you need to go to the lobby for a strong signal.

Room Tip: you just need 3min walk to reach the airport
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank paulcheeweh

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night before departing on a 7am flight to Vietnam. It is a perfect location & the hotel itself is very nice - lovely rooms & a great restaurant. It takes about 3 minutes to walk to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Stevest443
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hotel is huge - almost eerie. All the mod cons - business centre, pool, gym etc. An early start meant we didn't try breakfast however dinner western style was good probably expensive by Thai standards.

We had a wet patch in the corner of our room probably from condensation but it could result in a musty smell. Found the need for a deposit for the key disconcerting especially when it takes 14 days to clear the amount from the card once the key is returned.

Doorman helped us across the bridge with our luggage before our early flight.

Room Tip: There is a lot of walking from foyer to rooms. Request a close room if mobility is an issue
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn50
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Due to its location just next to the DMK airport, this place is perfnct for traveller's taking off from Bangkok early in the morning. Impeccable rooms, spacious with huge bathroom, desk, hair-dryer, refrigirator and TV set. Staff is kind and helpful, but prices at the bar are a bit outrageous.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank snooka76
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel had some mixed reviews in the (recent) past however I enjoyed my stay and have no complaints apart from one related to the internet (see below). Stayed here one night in October 2012 as I had an early Air Asia flight out the next morning.

Arrived early afternoon and there was just one lady at reception, who was very welcoming and smiling. However within less than a minute four more ladies arrived and all assisted with the check-in in some way, one also arranging for a letter I had to be sent out through the hotel concierge. Later on one of the ladies even walked with me to the road outside the hotel to hail a taxi. All in all great service and very attentive.

They also gave me a free upgrade to a Grande Deluxe room on the 5th floor. This turned out to be an excellent large room with comfy beds and also a big bathroom with both a shower and separate bathtub, two wash basins, etc.

The room had a large desk, sofa, chair and coffee table, 40" LCD TV with what looked like a DVD player (did not try to use), mini bar with limited selection of drinks (about 8 drinks), and balcony overlooking the central courtyard area of the hotel. Please see the pictures to get an idea.

The only complaint I have is about the internet: in Thailand in my experience internet tends to be free in many hotels. However this hotel charges a whopping 471 baht (why 71 not 400 or 500 one wonders?) for 24 hours worth of relatively slow cabled in-room internet. I had Singapore noodles for lunch in a foodcourt downtown, that was 50 baht. A days' worth of internet in this hotel costs more than 9 standard meals in Bangkok! That's a bit rich. Also it was wired internet only, with a cable that was too short; I did not see any wifi signals other than two very weak ones which clearly were from other businesses in the area. Global trend is to stop charging for internet in hotels and its time that this happens - it is not a luxury but a necessity. Either way they should upgrade their internet system to a more modern one and offer wifi, because as it is their internet is a blemish on what I experienced otherwise as an excellent hotel.

One taxi driver who drove me from the city said the hotel was struggling in recent years until Air Asia moved back from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang in early October. They are now doing good business again thanks to Air Asia. Hopefully this extra income will lead to at least an upgrade on the internet side, and with a bit of luck abolishing of the ridiculously high charge for using it.

Apart from the above the hotel has a selection of restaurants and bars, and a number of conference rooms which had a mix of weddings and business events going on during my stay by the looks of it. I had "chicken in a basket" and a few beers in the "Henry J Beans Bar and Grill" and it was OK, and not too expensive - an acceptable quick dinner.

Conclusion based on my stay: an excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff and great room, no complaints in any area apart from the internet. Definitely recommended and I will be back here, but will make sure I have no requirements for internet access when I stay next time. Give them 4 out of 5 because of the internet; otherwise would have given 5 out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank sergio2008
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had an early air asia flight so decided to stay one night in BKK, This hotel is linked to the airport by a bridge so very handy.
But what a shame i have visited other Amari hotels and they were fine. But this place looks old well it is old.
So checked in at 11.30pm took 15 mins only person there. no smile just gave me the key and gave no directions.
So off i trot looking for my room on the 4th floor. As this is a low rise hotel its spread out. so i follow the signs to my room only to find a blocked of part of the corridor. (as they are upgrading). with no signs to tell me where to go. so walk back still no signage so i walk the wrong way and finally find my room.
Then the fun begins.I try to turn on the TV in the bedroom not working i try everything nothing. so call eng. they come and get it working. He told me the door was in the way. I'm thinking no i tried everything am i mad. Then i switch off the main lights. The he had turned on and the TV turns off. ??. So they have fitted a new TV into the bedroom and taken the electricity from the light feed. So when you turn off the lights it turns off the TV. dumb idiots.
Next i try to turn off the A/C cant cant change anything and its so cold. Go to use the bedside control not working. So again had to call for them to fix this.
Then i go to check out in the morning. The lady asks how was my stay. I reply. This is the worst amari i have stayed in. She just smiles. She had a trainee with her who heard what i said and looked so shocked on her reply. This must be a usual comment.
They need to change the GM and sort out this hotel now that air asia is flying form don muang its time to get serious. THB 1500 a night for what i received was not worth the money

Room Tip: none dont stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Matty c
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here 1 night for a business trip. All average for the Amari chain. The hotel was dated but well-maintained and quite clean. Staff were not helpful enough. Their face looked like they were boring. When I checked in they just didn't prepare for our group booking, the young staff took us so long until their senior came to manage our check in.

Location wasn't on the main Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. But passengers arriving from Don Muang Airport can reach the hotel by walk. There's a walkway on the second floor of the terminal to the hotel. It was convenient.

My room was clean and cozy. There was a welcome fruits on the table. (an apple and an orange... that's all) Anyway I slept quite well here. The bathroom was clean and full amenity.

I was disappointed with the swimming pool. The green tiles make the pool looked dirty like a moss covered pool, though it was not that dirty. But I don't want to swim there anyway.

I would just recommend this hotel for a connecting flight passengers at Don Muang Airport...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business