“Good one”

Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok
Ranked #162 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Due to its location just next to the DMK airport, this place is perfnct for traveller's taking off from Bangkok early in the morning. Impeccable rooms, spacious with huge bathroom, desk, hair-dryer, refrigirator and TV set. Staff is kind and helpful, but prices at the bar are a bit outrageous.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank snooka76
There are newer reviews for Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel had some mixed reviews in the (recent) past however I enjoyed my stay and have no complaints apart from one related to the internet (see below). Stayed here one night in October 2012 as I had an early Air Asia flight out the next morning.

Arrived early afternoon and there was just one lady at reception, who was very welcoming and smiling. However within less than a minute four more ladies arrived and all assisted with the check-in in some way, one also arranging for a letter I had to be sent out through the hotel concierge. Later on one of the ladies even walked with me to the road outside the hotel to hail a taxi. All in all great service and very attentive.

They also gave me a free upgrade to a Grande Deluxe room on the 5th floor. This turned out to be an excellent large room with comfy beds and also a big bathroom with both a shower and separate bathtub, two wash basins, etc.

The room had a large desk, sofa, chair and coffee table, 40" LCD TV with what looked like a DVD player (did not try to use), mini bar with limited selection of drinks (about 8 drinks), and balcony overlooking the central courtyard area of the hotel. Please see the pictures to get an idea.

The only complaint I have is about the internet: in Thailand in my experience internet tends to be free in many hotels. However this hotel charges a whopping 471 baht (why 71 not 400 or 500 one wonders?) for 24 hours worth of relatively slow cabled in-room internet. I had Singapore noodles for lunch in a foodcourt downtown, that was 50 baht. A days' worth of internet in this hotel costs more than 9 standard meals in Bangkok! That's a bit rich. Also it was wired internet only, with a cable that was too short; I did not see any wifi signals other than two very weak ones which clearly were from other businesses in the area. Global trend is to stop charging for internet in hotels and its time that this happens - it is not a luxury but a necessity. Either way they should upgrade their internet system to a more modern one and offer wifi, because as it is their internet is a blemish on what I experienced otherwise as an excellent hotel.

One taxi driver who drove me from the city said the hotel was struggling in recent years until Air Asia moved back from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang in early October. They are now doing good business again thanks to Air Asia. Hopefully this extra income will lead to at least an upgrade on the internet side, and with a bit of luck abolishing of the ridiculously high charge for using it.

Apart from the above the hotel has a selection of restaurants and bars, and a number of conference rooms which had a mix of weddings and business events going on during my stay by the looks of it. I had "chicken in a basket" and a few beers in the "Henry J Beans Bar and Grill" and it was OK, and not too expensive - an acceptable quick dinner.

Conclusion based on my stay: an excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff and great room, no complaints in any area apart from the internet. Definitely recommended and I will be back here, but will make sure I have no requirements for internet access when I stay next time. Give them 4 out of 5 because of the internet; otherwise would have given 5 out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank sergio2008
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had an early air asia flight so decided to stay one night in BKK, This hotel is linked to the airport by a bridge so very handy.
But what a shame i have visited other Amari hotels and they were fine. But this place looks old well it is old.
So checked in at 11.30pm took 15 mins only person there. no smile just gave me the key and gave no directions.
So off i trot looking for my room on the 4th floor. As this is a low rise hotel its spread out. so i follow the signs to my room only to find a blocked of part of the corridor. (as they are upgrading). with no signs to tell me where to go. so walk back still no signage so i walk the wrong way and finally find my room.
Then the fun begins.I try to turn on the TV in the bedroom not working i try everything nothing. so call eng. they come and get it working. He told me the door was in the way. I'm thinking no i tried everything am i mad. Then i switch off the main lights. The he had turned on and the TV turns off. ??. So they have fitted a new TV into the bedroom and taken the electricity from the light feed. So when you turn off the lights it turns off the TV. dumb idiots.
Next i try to turn off the A/C cant cant change anything and its so cold. Go to use the bedside control not working. So again had to call for them to fix this.
Then i go to check out in the morning. The lady asks how was my stay. I reply. This is the worst amari i have stayed in. She just smiles. She had a trainee with her who heard what i said and looked so shocked on her reply. This must be a usual comment.
They need to change the GM and sort out this hotel now that air asia is flying form don muang its time to get serious. THB 1500 a night for what i received was not worth the money

Room Tip: none dont stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Matty c
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here 1 night for a business trip. All average for the Amari chain. The hotel was dated but well-maintained and quite clean. Staff were not helpful enough. Their face looked like they were boring. When I checked in they just didn't prepare for our group booking, the young staff took us so long until their senior came to manage our check in.

Location wasn't on the main Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. But passengers arriving from Don Muang Airport can reach the hotel by walk. There's a walkway on the second floor of the terminal to the hotel. It was convenient.

My room was clean and cozy. There was a welcome fruits on the table. (an apple and an orange... that's all) Anyway I slept quite well here. The bathroom was clean and full amenity.

I was disappointed with the swimming pool. The green tiles make the pool looked dirty like a moss covered pool, though it was not that dirty. But I don't want to swim there anyway.

I would just recommend this hotel for a connecting flight passengers at Don Muang Airport...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sizzi
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I needed to stay near DMK for the night as I was catching an early flight. The hotel is aging slightly but the rooms are clean and well appointed and I was upgraded to an executive room on check-in free of charge. It is connected to the airport by a walkway so getting to and from the airport is really quick and easy. Not exactly the kind of place you would go on holiday but that is what you expect from an airport hotel. I marked the location as excellent but that is based on the fact it is an airport hotel , it's not really a great post of bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank jamespcole
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Now that Air Asia is going to call the shots at Don Muang, they better get their stake in this overnight place.

Thousand of their travelers will eventually end up here after a cancelled flight, late inflight or early outbound...

Better put this place in order asap. Didn't enjoy the discussion with the reception swiping my credit card twice as they blocked another 1000 Bath for insurance even after I paid 2000 Bath paying for the room in advance... I thought those practices were extinct...

Anyway. don't use the swimming pool, air around is just to polluted to even be outside. Better build indoor swimming facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid when travelling via Don Muang. Better get connecting flights.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KristVanneste
apfo, General Manager at Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Mr. KristVanneste,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

On behalf of our General Manager at Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok, we would like to appologise for the incident you experienced with your credit card. This was an error from our side and we will work with the related teams to ensure that this sort of issue does not happen again in the future.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Sakkara Mahapho - Manager, Front Office and E-distribution
On behalf of General Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I paid way over the odd's for thid room. It cost me £35! Air Asia changed the destination airport in Bangkok when I flew in from Singapore so I had no choice but to stay here as I had 13 hours to wait for my next flight.

The room was massive - the size of 2 hostel dorms put together which made me laugh a bit! The bed was really comfy but when I pulled back the sheets the bed linen was moth eaten. Not impressed! The bathroom too on first appearances looked clean as a whistle but when I got into the shower it had loads of long black hairs in it. YUK!

I was also under the impression I had breakfast included in the price but they insisted I didn't. I was too tired to argue and just left it. When I got home I checked my emails and I did have it included so that was annoying! Apart from that the staff were polite and check in and out was quick. They also helped me organise the shuttle bus to the international airport.

Shame about the room though, the housekeeping staff need training perhaps

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kate M
apfo, General Manager at Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Ms. Kate,

Thanks for giving us your feedback and please accept our sincerest appologies for the disappointment you experienced.

While we are appreciative of your positive comments about our room size and service, we feel that we have let you down with the cleanliness of our rooms and also issues you faced about breakfast.

Please rest assured that we have shared your experiences with our team and we will work on improving these areas in order to maintain the standard of our hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and look forward to your continued custom.

Yours sincerely,