“Functional”

Ranked #163 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Functional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed here as we had an early flight from the airport the next morning. I would say the hotel was just right for a one night stay. The facilities are ok and the room is adequate. We ate at the sports bar in the hotel and the staff there made every effort to accomodate us even cooking food for my wife which was not on the menu.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed just one night here as I was in transit and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised for what I got for my money.
The hotel is just outside of downtown Bangkok, but ideally located if you are in transit for a domestic flight, indeed, it is right near the Don Muang airport, close to a typical local market and street vendors.
The rooms are very clean, the bed hyper comfy, I had trouble waking up and standing up the next morning :))))), and the bathroom really OUTSTANDING.
My only regret is that I didn't have the time to try the other ammenities like the swimming-pool for example.
I would definitely stay here again when I return to Thailand.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Eric B
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

When you review a hotel you have to consider the price paid. This hotel was a very good price of about £25 a night.

When we arrived we were being told we were to be upgraded. This is always a nice touch and makes you feel a bit special. So to be upgraded to and executive suite for £25 was fantastic.

The hotel itself is I am afraid trying to live in its past glories. It obviously was a nice hotel servicing the airport in its heyday, but with the new airport, this hotel has become very underused and needs some TLC.

I was practically the only person staying bar the odd person passing. This did make me feel like I was in the movie The Shining. There was however after just myself and the other odd guest, now and again a bus load of Chinese would arrive. They were always in the lobby shouting and hanging around and acting like a flock of birds. I guess they were mostly in transit and stayed for a few hours before moving on.

So the room I was put in was extremely nice. Large room, nice bathroom, super bed, a big desk to work on and lots of storage space. The air con worked fab and there was nothing much wrong. If you looked carefully, there was some black mould on the tiles in the bathroom but this was very small. However it’s this attention to detail that these things left will make the hotel deteriorate more and more, but I guess they do not have the funds to employ staff to do all these jobs.

The swimming pool was nice and cool but again the area a little run down. But it worked and you could have a nice swim in there.

There was a basic gym with about 5 machines but hey there was no queue here either.
Henry J bar was lovely and had a nice feel about it. I ordered food here two nights in a row and had good steak both times. Nice staff and again I was “billy no mates” as I was the only person in the bar the first night and second night there seemed to be a mad Thai woman there also who I tried to keep away from.

Now the bad things

Internet was charged for at 400 baht for 24hours. I really do think all hotels should give this free in this age. I did not moan to much as the upgrade was nice but still.

The other thing was some massage girls were always down stairs in the evening asking to do massage. So I decided after some time in the bar to have a nice relaxing massage. This was anything but with the girl, repeatedly offering extra services. I don’t think I need to spell out what those were, but after saying I was not interested she kept asking and going on about it and why not etc. So after finally saying to her no and that was it, my soft oil massage turned into a Thai massage with what seemed a few torture moved added in. She painful was digging her elbows into my back and it was quite painful. It took my back a few days to recover. Masseur should always do the pressure you feel good with. An expensive massage of 1000 baht which left me in pain and quite annoyed with her and I should have walked away earlier. The hotel must know this goes on as the acted in the foyer with the blessing of the hotel and many fliers were about.

So good hotel let down slightly by its run down appearance and annoying massage staff. Everything else was good.

Room Tip: Exective rooms are very nice and not to much of an upgrade cost
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank chocolate-eater666
Bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

ORCHIDS
Close proximity to old airport and main north-south rail line.
Friendly staff.
My deluxe room (1200B/night) was upgraded to an executive suite as a promotional endeavor by check-in staff. The two room suite was spacious with two flat screen TVs, shower, separate bath, and very large round dining table. Lots of closet and cupboard space.

ONIONS
The hotel IS showing its age. The air conditioning equipment and refrigerator motors rattle and shimmy constantly. Especially the fridge. Every time it cycled off, it reminded me of an old jalopy jerking and rocking on its axels as you try to kill the switch to its out-of-tune motor. It startled me at least a thousand times during my short stay.

The lobby is an impossible location in which to relax, as the interior is swarming with clouds of mosquitos which descend on the unwary traveler who may be tempted to the soft-looking sofas and chairs. The pest control measures seen nonexistent in this otherwise inviting lobby.

Harvey J. Bean's western style bar and grill was a big disappointment. I ordered a pina colada to drink while waiting for my meal, but was told I'd have to wait until later in the meal while the staff went shopping somewhere fot the pineapple juice. It came halfway through the meal.

The $7 (220B) beef chili burrito was the blandest burrito I've had. Not a speck of spice to be tasted either in the chili or elsewhere. The beans were either underdone or dried out--consisting from "hard" to "chewy." I could find no sauce in which I expected the chilis and the shredded & ground beef to be. The dab of guacamole on top was a watery-looking mixture of a once-guacamole paste + oil. Again, not a single shred of spice to it, as well.

But by far, the stinkiest onion in Amari Don Muang's cornucopia is the new type of guest it now caters to. Busloads and busloads of noisy, phlem-spitting, shoving Chinese spill into the place at all hours of the day and night. They fill the lobby and guestroom hallways with phlem, shouting, and non-allowed smoking. They push and shove you at breakfast. Not a smile nor friendly face in the whole lot. So unlike the gracious Thai people. Indeed, this crowd is now the toughest thing to stomache when considering a stay at the Amari Don Muang.

• Stayed January 2012
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Absolutely LOVED this hotel and here's why:

1) AIRPORT PICK-UP: ive had experiences where I booked for an airport pick-up but it nv came and I had to make my own way to e hotel. This was always e case when I'm in thailand! So being greeted by my friendly chauffeur at the airport despite my flight being delayed for 2 hours was pleasant! And it was ard midnight when I reached but I wasn't charged additional

2) FREE UPGRADE: now, who doesn't love being treated to good news after a tiring flight? I was pleasantly surprised by the frontdesk when they gave me a complimentary free upgrade from executive to junior suite!! And I even had a nice greeting card awaiting for me in my room

3) ROOM: it's everything you can ask for! I was there to attend an event so I had like a few stuffs w me. But e room was absolutely spacious, I could literally leave my things lying ard (which I did but dont judge me pls!!). the decor was elegant, it was either white or wood. And it was super clean, which made my stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Now... For e downside, unfortunately, there's not much that you can do here! Its alittle far from e fun stuff! But if you're looking for a relaxing holiday by yourself or a romantic getaway w your loved one, this place is perfect :)

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank PsychedTraveller
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

We booked the hotel for 1 night, because after arrival airport we want to take a little rest before we go the next day to Hua Hin. They upgraded our room to an executive room what was a nice clean specious room with everything you need. At that moment it looks like we are the only guests of the hotel. The food of the restaurants in the Hotel was very good and delicious.
There was not much to do in the area from the Hotel, but for us was that not so important because it was only for 1 night. Only one thing, after checking out was there nobody to bring our suitcases to the car, so we carry it by ourselves (first time in all the years and many hotels happen to me). It's not a big problem but I think it's not good service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank GMan527
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is an oddball. My wife and I stayed at the Amari Don Muang in Bangkok for 2 weeks in early October 2011 on arriving to Thailand for work. The company put us up there whilst we searched for our own accommodation.

Let me put it this way…we found our own accommodation as quick as we could!

Where to start?

Ok….the hotel itself is from a bygone era when the Don Muang airport was the main airport for Bangkok, and it’s by no means an old hotel. As I understand it, Don Muang gave over to Suvarnabhuni about 5 years ago. So, an educated guess would say that the hotel went from being quite popular [what with its enclosed footbridge direct to the airport] with international travellers, to being nightly stopover for cheap flights in and out from the region – most probably China. It would appear, as a result from going from international to regional, that in the past 5 years, no money has been spent on upgrades.

The hotel appears to be stuck in the mid-1980’s [when it was most likely built - at the latest], and externally its could do with a little maintenance – minor things like changing some bulbs and a little lick of paint. The lobby is actually quite nice, and I cannot fault the cleanliness of it – and to be fair, externally, and in and around the car park; it’s all clean and tidy and free from litter – maybe the odd stray dog or cat, but you are in Thailand after all. Back to the lobby – there aren’t any strays from the canine or feline species here – it’s a sea of faux marble, with a working water feature, a large reception desk harks back to the busy international days, and large seating area where you will have no problems finding a seat. There is a small bar, which has its own impromptu water feature when it rains; a little bakery stall; a defunct escalator that takes you to the footbridge to the airport – and here’s a tip: if you do find yourself here and you want a taxi into Bangkok central area, the walk up defunct escalator and right across the footbridge. As you get near to the terminal building itself, watch for a little inconspicuous green door on the left. Open it, and go down the stairs onto the sidewalk/pavement. This is a busy highway, but don’t worry about stopping a taxi; they will slow down as they approach you anyway. The fare is around 200THB into Siam Square area, and by using this little ‘shortcut’ you wipe off around 10/15 minutes and about 50THB as opposed to getting a taxi at the front door of the hotel. Just make sure they switch on the meter and be prepared to get out of the taxi wherever they stop if they don’t, otherwise the fare could be a magical 500THB!!! Another taxi will be along in a minute.

Anyway, back to the hotel.

Take an elevator/lift, and a step back in time away from the fancy electronics of modern equivalents to your desired floor. If you are really lucky, this might be the 4th, and top, floor – which is actually the 3rd floor. This where you will find the ‘suites’. I cannot comment on what they are like, but they do have balconies whereas no other rooms do. But then you’ll pay 3500THB per night for the privilege. We were very lucky [sarcasm]; we had a free upgrade to a Deluxe room! I had to double take when I saw the room, and I had to double quick time back to reception to say I had been put in the wrong room, as it was almost certainly not ‘deluxe’. As it turned out, it was a deluxe, so goodness only knows what the version below this was? But this room was short-lived, as the security box [electronic by all accounts!] didn’t work. Bearing in mind this security box was from pre-laptop days, so it will only hold your passports, money and camera. So armed with what looked like a homemade device [probably was], the maintenance man made every effort to reset the security box so that it would work. His little device didn’t do the trick though, and we had to decant the room to another with a working security box. But as an added bonus to the move, we got a room with a duvet as opposed to sheets, so well done broken security box.

When you get into your deluxe room, don’t forget to take photos. Its great to have photos from the 1980’s in digital format that you can share with friends and family at the touch of a button. You can reminisce over the days before VCR’s as you stare at the TV….not at the programmes, but in disbelief at the bulk of pre-flatscreen TV’s and the fact that these TV’s still work – well I think anyway, I never tried it!!

Now I don’t consider myself completely ignorant; I do try other languages, but Thai I find very difficult. Even though I have carefully learned some phrases, I forgot them almost as soon as I learned them. So, word of advice: the Thai’s English is better than our Thai, but I found some of the girls at the reception desk to have very poor to non-existent English – but then again, I am Scottish, so maybe my English isn’t great either – so bring a little phrase book, or download an app to your phone or tablet to help you communicate things like; “my room isn’t deluxe, can you check my booking please?” Or, “there are guests smoking in the corridor outside of my non-smoking room, and they have obviously been smoking for all of their adult lives, because the phlegm that the couch up and spit onto the carpet is pretty brown.”

Yes, you read that last sentence correctly. The ‘overnight/stopover/airport transfer guests’ that arrive in their coachloads on a nightly basis, obviously are new to etiquette, as spitting onto the carpets and smoking wherever they like, whilst roaming the hotel corridors in the middle of the night shouting, yelping and generally making what sounds like noises that my wife says goats make [I’ll take her word for it], is all part of the Amiri experience.

And it doesn’t finish there….

Head on down to breakfast, and be prepared to literally be jostled out of the way, whilst out overnight guests gorge themselves on the buffet breakfast. You can choose from a Continental Breakfast, or an American Breakfast. Now, Continental Breakfast to me is… croissants, cold meats, cheese, yoghurts and so on – which there is [though, I thought I’d leave it alone, as in two weeks, I only saw four other ‘non-transfer/overnight/stopover blah blah blah’ guests – and none of them ate from the Continental Breakfast; and the stopoverers were ‘excluded’ from the erm….. “Western zone”, so none of them had the chance of gnawing on a croissant. Which makes me wonder…are those croissants real, or made of wax? Being adventurous, I decided to give one a go, and I think they are made from real wax. Just my opinion, based on my taste buds culinary experience.

No matter. Not when there is the promise of the American Breakfast!

Now having visited the USA a few times; my interpretation of an American Breakfast is waffles and pancakes, eggs sunny side up, full fat Coke, squash, coffee and all covered in maple syrup – and all very nice! But rice? Noodles? Rice? Boiled veg? Rice? And don’t get me wrong, it was all fine, can’t complain about this portion of the breakfast, but I can only assume that as it was ‘free’(?); it was a bit of a free for all, and my goodness some people [despite what appears to be a diminutive size] must have stomachs the size of washing machines based on the amount of food they put on their plates! Being British [ok, Scottish], I have been taught how to form an orderly queue. Well, after being pushed around after a couple of days, you have to throw your manners out of the window and just push in. I felt bad about doing it, but you have to be a bit thick skinned about it – our fellow guests didn’t seem to mind when they done it to us.

Now, that’s the bad and the ugly out of the way – for the moment – lets focus on the good.

Singha beer is great. And equally as great is the food in the Americanesque diner, named Henry J Beans. We ate in their a few nights, and I cannot fault the food in any way. Brillant, and reasonable value for money, but obviously priced at keeping away….how can I put this without sounding an ‘….ist’….erm….stopover guests??

Anyway, it worked, and Henry J Beams was always more or less empty, which meant we were attended to by the excellent staff [probably the most attentive and nice people you are likely to meet – we will miss them]. I can recommend Chicken Fajitas, and ‘The Hook’, and the burgers, and the rest….. Like elsewhere in Bangkok, it seems that making a Pasta dish is a bit of a mystery, so unless you really must – anywhere - then ignore pasta dishes.

The pool and poolside are actually quite nice. The pool was clean, and the furniture was all in very good order. The gym was a bit ropey, but useable all the same. Just a pity the sauna is an extra - 300THB for 30 minutes [if I recall correctly] isn't good.

The housekeeping staff did a good job of making up the room, though it wasn't the first time we came back in the evening to find they hadn't closed our door over properly. But no matter, everything was in order.

Theres nothing to see in the local area, unless stray dogs and their deposits are of interest. Or the sight of the ‘earthly’ dwellings in the area are what you want to see. There is a temple along the road, but isn’t there always. So its a taxi somewhere I'm afraid if you want out of the hotel.

Second last tip….don’t pay the 100THB to use the wi-fi for an hour in the lobby. No. Buy a drink from the bar, and get a free one hour token for the wi-fi. Free wi-fi and excellent Singha beer – good excuse to stay online!

But last tip…just avoid, but if you [have to] do go, try Henry J Beans.

Anyway, best think about a summary now….

The Good: Henry J Beams, and more importantly the staff.

The Bad: Its tired, and is only really a stopover hotel now, plus its really only accessible by taxi – there is a train station across the road, but….???

The Ugly: the other guests that think they are in a Clint Eastwood film minus actually aiming for the spittoon.

Should the Chinese economy take a little downturn, then I'd imagine the bulldozers will have done their worst within a year of that event. Which is a shame, but its had its time.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, maybe best aim for a poolside room, though even at night it can be a little n...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple