“Will you stay at a hotel with no electricity?”

Mayfair, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments
Ranked #51 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed October 14, 2008

The formula for an enjoyable stay at any hotel is a nice room, great staff, sumptous breakfast, good housekeeping, peace and quiet, convenient location, and of course, this all adds up to good value. The Marriot Mayfair in Bangkok has this "success" formula. However, the underlying assumption is that guests are able to enjoy the full facilities for ALL of the time they are booked into the hotel. It was not so, during our stay. Although known to Marriot several days before we checked in, that their street electricity will be turned off on Sunday from 8.30am to 4.30pm, we were not informed prior or during check-in that we would be turned out of our room for the day. Frankly, all we wanted to do was laze around on a Sunday with a sleep-in and watch the final day of the Grand Sumo Tournament on tv. So imagine the shock we receive that we have to wake at 6am, get our act together, have early breakfast and leave the hotel before there is no airconditioning, no electricity. There is no way we could have stayed in the room. So did we get good value? NO. it is not a 5-star hospitality. It is dishonourable not to disclose a material fact to people who believed in the good name of Marriot before they contract to stay in one of their hotels. We should have been informed and should have been given the choice to go to another hotel. Instead, they just took the money and declared that it is not within their control. Marriot may have some of my money,they certainly don't have my respect!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
11  Thank aromas
There are newer reviews for Mayfair, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments

Reviewed October 12, 2008

We stayed in the 3 room suite for 3 nites. The room is big and nice,. I also love the swimming pool and jacuzzi which situated at the top floor. However, the are some problem, toilet flushing has some problem and cannot be used coz it get stucked. We didn't reported coz it has 2 toilet in the room and it was the last nite for us to stay. Besides, I also found the same flushing problem in the woman's toilet in the pool. I think they should aware of this problem more...coz is quite smelly.

Not sure whether is electricity problem or what ? is weried that when my friend watching television alone in the living room at about 1:00am, the lights switched off ITSELF suddenly and scared she off. Besides, my another girlfriend encountered similiar things happened, she used to keep the lights on when sleeping, she was little bit scared when she woke up in sudden at about 3:00am, the light was off by ITSELF....

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank happyhappy_8
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I stayed in a 2-bed apartment (9th floor), perfect for 2 adults and 2 children (6yrs and 4yrs), although the second bedroom is very small and only had a double bed. Views were fab at night.

The apartment was clean, the kitchenette was very well equipped, we had every utensil there to cook and eat. All the appliances worked very well, including the washer/dryer to which we were provided detergent!

The lounge area looked tired and well worn but still comfy, the room had a small dinner table at the back. The main bedroom was very small, just room for a double bed and walking space, however, they do have ample cupboard space. The bathrooms were clean and tidy. However, the towels are VERY well worn out and many had stains and despite complaining, the towels never improved. Not a big deal but expected better from Marriot.

Room service was prompt and food was good, although there are some fab restaurants across the road you MUST try! The kids loved the fish and chips in the 'The Ninth' and loved the ravioli in the Italian 'Calzone'(staff were really nice and friendly). Prices, around 20 quid for the four of us, no alcohol or desserts. Great value!

The pool was too deep for the kids but the views were stunning from 25th floor and they have a nice bar there too. Spa service in the room was convenient and reasonably priced (much cheaper down the road though).

Location, fantastic. We were 2 minutes from the local supermarket (next building!) and 7-8 minutes from the BTS (train station) which is only one stop to the acclaimed Paragon shopping Mall. Train fare was approx 30p per person and its AIR CONDITIONED, quick and fun as it rides over a bride system. Fun for the kids. DO go to MBK, 2 stops, for cheaper shopping (bag can cost as cheap as 3 quid). There are fakes and good bargains to be had and make sure you barter hard!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank subzy
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Stayed for three nights. Arrived about 5pm after flying London to Bangkok overnight arriving in BKK about 3:30pm in the afternoon. Took a metered taxi and it cost about 300-400 baht I can't remember exactly how much but it was reasonable. One thing I did that made the trip easier is that after I got money from the ATM I bought a bottle of water from the fruit stand inside the airport and got change - that allowed me to easily pay for the tolls.

The property is NOT well known to taxi drivers. Most know the street that it is on but have little idea of the hotel itself. The room was pretty good overall, but there were two things I didn't like. First was that I was told there would be a washer/dryer in the room for clothes - there wasn't. When I asked about this later in the evening was just told that no your room doesn't have one - no offer of moving us (which I wouldn't have done anyway once unpacked), nor of offering free use of the laundry. I used this the night before we left and it cost about $6 US per load of laundry and its above the pool on the top floor. The other complaint was that the kitchen wasn't totally clean. We used the fridge for drinks/snacks. There is a food store just to the right upon walking out of the hotel. Have to walk out to the street and to the right and immediately go up the next driveway to the food market.

The pool and workout room were very good. We really liked the pool and the view from the top floor. The other very good thing was the breakfast, which I had included in the rate. There was a cook to make eggs to order and a buffet with a good variety of foods.

Staff was very friendly, but not the most helpful staff. They did a nice job of arranging taxi's and ensuring that the driver was using the meter and knew where you wanted to go. I had booked a package that included a spa visit and while I wasn't one of the people there, was told that it was nice put perfunctory service and somewhat shorter than what was promised (40 minutes rather than an hour). And something that was kind of different was that they arrived about 10 minutes early and rather than simply sitting and waiting were asked to leave and come back at the designated time.

The hotel is fairly well located to shopping and about 25 minutes to the Grand Palace and Temple via cab - malls were about 10 minutes via taxi and about 15 minutes getting back due to the hotel being on a one way street. Overall the stay was pretty good and at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank david2000
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Marriott Exec Apartments is without doubt an excellent operation fantastically priced in a very good location in central Bangkok. It could be your dream place to stay - depending on what you are looking for when you visit here.

This was our first trip back to Bangkok in almost three years....and my tenth or so visit to this truly amazing city. I was quite surprised when searching for room rates for 4 nights from May 15th to 19th how much room rates have gone up at the usual hotels that I have previously stayed at - Sheraton Grande, Westin, even the Novotel etc were all in the 6000 to 8000 bhat range. Especially as this time of year is low season. Conrad was asking 10000 bhat per night!

The Marriott Executive Apartments hit the spot exactly with a great - no, fantastic - rate for a one bedroom superior apartment for the length of our stay. They upgraded for Thai Bhat 500 to a deluxe one bedroom apartment. It was close to 100sq m and suited the three of us perfectly fine. I had read the reviews on the lower floor rooms and the deluxe room did not disappoint - it was located on the 16th floor.

My very positive memories of staying here:

1. For a serviced apartment operation, staff were very good.
2. I loved the fitness facilities - gym was extremely well equipped, with a brilliant view over the city. I did laps every morning and evening in the pool,. It was not cold at all?! The bar on the 25th floor was quite tiny though.
3. Great mini supermarket next door - perfect for buying supplies for brekky, and for stocking up on cheap beer for an afternoon bevvie.
4 Excellently located between the two main BTS lines - could easily get to Silom or Sukhumvit with only five minutes walk to either station. Depending on the time of day, and the direction you were going, taxis were plentiful and professionally monitored by the hotel staff.
5. AIRPLANE Italian restaurant across the road was really good fun - great food, and amazingly attentive service!
6. Also recommend one of the spas across the road which was excellent (it is the one to the left not the right - down a lane, sorry cannot remember the name)
7. We had just come from 5 days in Bali and the washing machine was a godsend.

This hotel is not the 'Thai Experience' that first time visitors to Bangkok are probably searching for. If you are on your honeymoon or only here for two nights, then splurge and spend the money for one of the truly five star world class hotels. If you are in Bangkok for an extended stay of three or four days or longer, then this is an extremely comfortable, clean, professionally operated and very convenient place to stay. I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kezzakawasaki
Reviewed April 8, 2008

This is still the deal to beat on Priceline (for Bangkok). My stay was very nice, with two noteworthy exceptions: my rate did not allow me in a room above the 8th floor, which left me directly across from 100 men doing construction every day..it wasn't really loud, just an incredible eyesore (see photo). Also, the room i checked into smelled like smoke. After switching rooms I realized that the second one was just as bad...it was a noticeable, heavy and consistent smell to a non-smoker. The rooftop is fantastic and the staff does a great job. I just wish they would give their "low rent" customers as much as they do their rack-raters. You won't find a better deal, if you can put up with a couple of glitches.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank idoltraveller
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We needed two rooms as we were traveling with our two young kids (5 and 2), but didn't want the expense of booking two hotel rooms. The Mayfair executive apartments were just perfect. The location was great for us as it was within walking distance to the sky train as well as several great restaurants and Central Department store, and a short taxi ride to the Jim Thompson store and a great night market.

We had a two bedroom apartment that was nicely furnished and clean. There were two bathrooms, one of which was ensuite. The kitchen area was small but it suited us perfectly as we only used it for morning coffee and breakfast.

Although the hotel provided complimentary water and juice, there was a small mini mart next to the hotel that worked out nicely for us to get basic supplies and cheaper beer. There were several very nice restaurants within walking distance - we took the kids to Air Plane which was an Italian Restaurant across the street that had a nice outside area and great service. After spending 5 days in Hua Hin prior to Bangkok and eating a lot of Thai food, it was a nice change to have some pasta. Room service menu seemed quite good although it took 2 hours to get a lunch order one day per our baby-sitter.

Overall it was a nice stay at the Mayfair and the staff were quite knowledgable and willing to help. The location of the hotel was less hectic than other parts of Bangkok so it made for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family