“Great hotel, with a couple caveats”

JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #24 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this JW Marriott a few times, usually alternating between it and the Four Seasons on stays in Bangkok. Although it's a great hotel, there are a couple aspects that may make us stay at the Four Seasons from now on.

First the great: as many people here mention, the Executive Lounge is exceptional. The hostesses and cooks are simply phenomenal - by far the best of any JW Marriott we've stayed at. I hope the hotel and Marriott recognize how much value they bring to the brand and experience. The rooms are very good. Quiet, clean, and true five star. Everyone in the hotel is extremely helpful. The other restaurants are very good.

So what's the downside and the reason I'm now giving them four stars instead of five? The neighborhood. Sukhumvit can be entertaining and a lot of fun, but quite honestly it seems to be getting seedier each year. Our room overlooked the Nana Plaza (Google it - you'll see what it's really about), and the ladies of the evening congregating in the Nana Hotel parking lot next door.

To some I'm sure this is fun and exciting, to others - especially if you have kids - it can be a problem. To top it off, apparently the JW Marriott allows "overnight companions" to join the guests at the hotel, and those "companions" can often be seen with the guests in the Executive Lounge. You know what I mean, and it's obvious by their age and how they dress. My wife and I don't judge and simply found it a bit tacky, but others might have more of a problem with it. Especially if you have to explain the interesting breakfast attire to your young kids. And this is why I think we'll probably stay in the classier environment of the Four Seasons from now on. We still love the JW Marriott hotels (and will be staying at JW's in Lima and Cuzco later this year), but we just don't want to deal with this situation.

Room Tip: Executive level is worth it to get access to the Executive Lounge.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
peter c, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear LeanCEO

Thank you for your review and for the comments you have provided to the readers of this forum. I am very happy to read that you like the JW Brand and that you are a loyal customer to Marriott.

A special thank you for recognizing the Executive Lounge and the associates there.

The hotel maintains a policy where all guests are required to register at the Front Desk as it is internationally a common practice. This includes any visitors who are supposed to stay with a guest. It is not the hotel's policy to allow non-registered guests onto the floors after 10pm. This rule is not policed though as the hotel should not have to determine the relation between a guest and a visitor at the time of entering the property.

Meanwhile the hotel is implementing a "registered hotel guests only" policy for the Executive Lounge to allow more privacy during busy times like breakfast in the morning.

Sending you very best regards with thanks once more for your comments.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok

Reviewed September 1, 2013

When traveling to Bangkok on business this Marriott is a great choice. The executive level is well worth the price as the lounge is probably the best in the region that I have tried. Food options abound from tea time, happy hour or breakfast. The lounge is amply staffed and very very helpful. The room I had on this visit has been refurbished so everything was fresh and in working order. Not sure If all rooms have been done, but it seems the 18th floor is good to go. If you have executive level access the is a staircase from 18 to 16 for the lounge which is nice, even though elevator service here is very fast. Never waited more than a few seconds for elevator no matter which floor I was on.

While the price if the hotel, seems to be creeping up each year it still has value. If you expect to sightsee the Grand Palace or some of the river venues it is a bit far with the traffic here. While the Ploenchit sky train is almost right out the door, taxi traffic is a problem for the less adventurous.

Spa is very nice and the pool is lovely and peaceful when not crowded.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
peter c, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Steward J

I like to thank you for the review you have posted on this forum and for the excellent marks you have given the hotel.

The Executive Lounge has received many nice accolades for the service levels and the daily food selections. All the Executive Floor rooms have been refurbished late last year and yearly this year. The hotel's location close by the Ploenchit station of the Sky train system is well appreciated by many guests.

Thank you once more for your comments and looking forward to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Bangkok soon again.

Very best regards

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013 when I traveled here on business. Let me begin by voicing one minor complaint. It is the only thing keeping me from giving the hotel a higher rating.

When I booked my reservation, I booked a corporate rate that included breakfast and internet access. At the same time, I have Marriott elite status that entitles me to breakfast in the executive lounge. When I checked in, I let the staff know that I intended to take my breakfast in the restaurant rather than the lounge. Both the manager and the check-in clerk tried to tell me that my rate did not include breakfast in the restaurant even when I showed them the actual reservation. I tried to reason with the staff, but they were stubborn on the issue. I finally told them that I would call the Marriott reservations line to discuss with them. I had to call from Bangkok to the US using my company phone to straighten out what should have been obvious. The Marriott staff member could only conclude that the JW Marriott staff was confused because of my elite status. The staff member said that if I were not an elite member, the hotel would likely think nothing of giving me breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The Marriott staff called the hotel to explain the situation. This event occurred the very first night, and I never had a problem afterwards. In fact, the hotel manager called my room and apologized, and a second manager called the next day to apologize. While I appreciate the apologies, there was a certain lack of professionalism exhibited by the staff that still leaves me wondering why they were so rigid on this issue. It is even worse that they were not only rigid but also wrong.

Other than that issue, I loved the stay. The breakfast buffet was exceptional (there was a reason that I booked the rate that included it). The hotel fitness center is very good. It has both cardio machines and weight machines. Next to the fitness center is the swimming pool and spa.

The hotel is conveniently located near the Phloenchit BTS station. I used it to connect to the MRT and move around the city. The hotel is also near several restaurants and some shopping. Street vendors abound in the area. I made sure to eat street food near the hotel.

In spite of the bad experience with check-in, I enjoyed my stay and would gladly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg A

Dear Greg A

Thank you for the review you have recently posted on Trip advisor. Thank you for a great headline and good marks.

Thank you as well for taking time and trouble to explain the breakfast issue. It is indeed correct that guests with breakfast entitlement at the Executive Lounge aren't automatically entitled for breakfast at the Coffee Shop.

Reason being is that the breakfast at the Lounge is included through either Marriott Reward Status or then by booking an Executive Floor room with access to the Lounge.

Lounges normally serve Continental Breakfast whereas the Lounge at the JW Marriott Bangkok provides a small breakfast buffet with ample food- & beverage selections.

Breakfast at the Coffee Shop consists of a full breakfast Buffet for which guests are being charged in addition to the room rate.

I regret that this policy has let to dissatisfaction and to unwanted phone calls. I agree with you that we should have done a better job to explain the reasons.

Meanwhile I do hope to be able and welcome you back to the JW Marriott Bangkok soon again, should your travels bring you back to Thailand.

Thank you for your loyalty and sending you very best regards

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a really great hotel, that's as simple as that!!! Great location, amazing staff, a breakfast to die for. Whether you are in BKK for business or pleasure the JW is the right place to stay if u can afford it. Only problem is that the rooms are freezing cold when u get in, but after a while it's ok. I loved this place, especially because of the staff extreme kindness. Go for it!

• Stayed: June 2013
peter c, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Wlad2000

I have seen your review and like to thank you for recommending the JW Marriott Bangkok to fellow travelers.

I am sorry to realize that the temperature in your room has been set too low and I appreciate your comment on this, allowing us to fine tune some of our service elements further. I have already escalated your remark to my team as a general heads up.

It would be very nice to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Bangkok again in the near future. Thank you once more for your kind words.

Best regards

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The most important thing from this property is service. The service is unquestionable, I stayed with my friend and felt very comfortable, all the staff greet, smile and gave us information decently. The location is near with shopping mall,restaurants,BTS and nightlife. Very clean room, full amenities as always, small swimming pool near the gym and spa area. The breakfast at the ground floor restaurant was great

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear diah_sher

I like to thank you for your review and for recommending the JW Marriott Bangkok for it's location, facilities and services.

It is indeed gratifying to be recognized by an accomplished traveler like yourself. Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Bangkok for your stay and looking forward to welcome you back soon again.

Best regards

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The staff at the Executive Lounge on the 16th floor is one of the outstanding features of this top quality hotel. The serving staff provides personalized attention and displays genuine, pleasure in satisfying everyone's idiosyncracies. I was traveling with two companions and every member of the service staff remembered our unique coffee, tea, and meal preferences - very impressive. This kind of attention makes me feel almost at home - certainly at a home-away-from-home. This was my second stay at the hotel - two months apart - and Chollada remembered my coffee preference and my sugar preference! We were on a business trip, so the open and warm touch the staff gave us helped us to relax from our typically stressful days.
Even the cooks, who work in the open area, are out-going and helpfull. Everytime I asked for something that wasn't in the buffet, they offered to make it special for me. We joked with them constantly and they shared their familiar nicknames with us. It's difficult to remember everyone's names, but several stand out: Aphinya (Am, or Mosquito), Apple, Mimi, Sky, Tao, Tan (Princess), Joom, Chollada, Sakchai (Lip).
The Executive Club Manager, Pat, was helpful in meeting my needs for business meetings in the lounge and the business center, and the club attendants at the reception desk: El, On and Puki were also eager to help support my business activities - even going so far as to go down to the lobby to escort my guests to the lounge.

The lounge is a comfortable place to eat breakfast and have happy hour snacks. the happy hour snacks are excellent and plentiful, making the Lounge a central focal point for any guest with access. Our team regularly stayed in the lounge just to work on our computers - there are plenty of outlets, and the large windows offer lots of sunshine and a great view. The furniture is comfortable, and the overall atmosphere is pleasant.

Hard to stop complementing the team of delightful staff that make this part of the hotel stand out. I wish I could remember everyone's names, but you wont be sorry that you selected the Executive floors for your stay at this great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric W

Dear Eric W

What a long, detailed and outstanding review! Thank you so much for illustrating in so many lovely words how much you and your companions enjoyed the stay at the JW Marriott Bangkok.

It is true that the overall setting at the Executive Lounge, as well as the daily food offerings in the mornings and evenings are setting the JW Marriott Lounge apart from many others. We like to compare the Lounge to an Airline Lounge for Gold- and Platinum Members. This is how we approach the daily changing menu schedule and the variety.

I am glad that you too, you enjoyed not only the service at the lounge but indeed your entire stay at the hotel. Thank you for mentioning so many of the associates by name. They too are thrilled to read your review.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Bangkok soon again and sending you very best regards.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at this hotel and could not find any fault with it. The facility was luxurious and the service was top-notch everywhere, from the doormen to the front desk to the room attendants. The most unique experience we had was with the Concierge Lounge. The food was prepared and served in an upscale-kitchen setting, with at least 1 chef cooking the food immediately before it is served. The dishes were constantly refilled. The waiting staff were courteous, friendly, attentive, cheerful, and enthusiastically anticipating our every need. I regret that I cannot remember all their long Thai names, except for Chef Tan and Chef Lib because of their short nicknames. After that experience, other Concierge Lounges felt somewhat of a let-down!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tamminh

Dear tamminh

I am happy to read that your husband and you enjoyed your recent stay at the JW Marriott Bangkok. Thank you so much for taking time to put pen to paper and post in this forum.

The food variety, food quality and service levels at the Executive Lounge are appreciated by very many guests as recent reviews demonstrate. The addition of a weekly BBQ Wednesday's added to that sense.

It would be nice to welcome your husband and you back again to the JW Marriott Bangkok, should you return to Thailand in the near future.

Very best regards