WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort

Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort
Ranked #22 of 839 Hotels in Bangkok
New York, NY
“Wonderful Stay in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Anantara Rivserside for five nights and I must say it was the most enjoyable time. The room in the newer part of the hotel was pure luxury. When I first arrived I was put in a room with a partial view of the river in the older section of the hotel, the room was clean and okay, but I wanted full view of the river and a more modern room. I was told that the room package I choose although it said river view, actually was for a partial river view. I thought that was a little misleading but I blame that on Expedia. The front desk, was able to upgrade me without a hassle but I did have to pay a few dollars more for the newer room. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly with a good knowledge of the English language. The hotel is away from the noise of the city but close enough to go to the city within 15 minutes. The only complaint I have, and I would not call it exactly a complaint but the Spa although wonderful was a little more expensive than I had planned to spend considering you can go to many Spas in Thailand and pay less than almost $200.00. The breakfast buffet was excellent and they gave you a lot for the money. There was a wide variety of food to choose from and the food was definitely good. The different choices of restaurants was also a plus as after spending all day in the hot sun and moving about the city, it was a welcome pleasure to have a pick of restaurants right in my hotel. I found the snacks and drinks in the room refrigerator to be extremely expensive but I guess its the same in most hotels. What I also loved about the hotel was the beautiful gardens and the pool was delightful. The ferry every 15 minutes to and from the city was also a big plus. I have to say, I will definitely come back to the Anantara the next time I visit Thailand it was better than I could ask for.

Room Tip: Make sure if you want riverview its in the newer section and says full view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ronmedo1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Anantara is a nice hotel at the river to unwind. This was my second stay and I can definately recommend it wouthout reservation. The rooms are nice. So is the pool area with its flowers and palm trees, which make you forget your are in a city like Bangkok. The SPA is nicce but rather expensive!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Having stayed at Anantara in Hua Hin previously, we chose them again for our week in Bangkok. As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the resort. Our room (junior suite) was spacious and well appointed. My husband especially liked the double basins in the bathroom. The pool is delightful to swim and splash about in as a respite from the Bangkok heat and humidity. The service and attentiveness of the staff was outstanding which we have come to expect from Anantara. Breakfast buffet has an amazing variety of freshly cooked pastries, eggs, meats and Asian dishes to choose from. And the toaster actually worked properly!! We had opportunity to eat in the resort at Brio & Trader Vic's and the food at both restaurants was wonderful. Our only issue was with housekeeping. On three nights, our water in the fridge was not replenished and on two nights, we were left with no face cloths. No biggie, just annoying. Oh, and I hated the pillows but slept okay most nights. Air con was a bit noisy at night but we turned the fan down and it was ok. All in all, Riverside is exactly what we have come to expect from Anantara - friendly, efficient, excellent service & just a lovely relaxing place to stay. Yes, we'd stay there again.

Moruya, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to be away from the chaos of central Bangkok, then Anantara is the place to stay. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights in absolute luxury. We initially booked a Junior Suite but because of a noisy air conditioner, we were moved to an Anantara Suite at no extra cost - now that is how you treat guests!! The free water taxi meant easy access to Asiatique and the sky train into the city and the cold towels handed out to passengers by the taxi staff was another 1st class treatment for Anantara guests. Loved the gardens, pool, restaurants - everything.

Room Tip: Corner room with river & city views
3 Thank pollypage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed my stay very much in this hotel. It is pretty big and takes a while to get used to it but there are directions to guide you along. I have broken down my review into the pros and cons so that it would be easier for you to read.
Pros:
-The staff is extremely polite. They would greet you every time you walk past them and they would put on a (very genuine, i would say) smile as well. Not to forget, their command of English was pretty good, considering that English is not their first language.
-The room that i stayed in (room 472), was quite spacious and the bed was so comfortable!
-There is a light directly on top of your room door so that you can look for your keys at night. I hate it when the hotel hallways are dim and i am unable to find my keys/card to enter my room.
-I love the fact that you can escape the bustle and hustle of the city. The resort felt like a small, private island on its own.
-There was a variety of food provided for breakfast. They do change certain items on different days so that was nice.
-The food quality was good. Not the best but of a somewhat 5 star quality type.
-The dining options in the hotel are plenty. You can experience live Cuban music at Trader Vic's, watch some amazing food 'kungfu" (as i would call it) action at Benhima and much more!
-There is some sort of a thai dance in the pool at around 6pm. You should swim there at that time because it really is an eye opener. There are also pretty lights for you to soak up the atmosphere.
-The duty manager was very responsible. My mum ran into some problems and had to be sent to the hospital. The duty manager informed the emergency ward beforehand and they were ready when my mum reached the hospital. The duty manager was also kind enough to send my mother some flowers.
Cons:
-When tasked to do certain things, for example; to bring extra toiletries and water to my room, I had to wait quite a while for the task to be completed.
-They provide only 4 bottles of drinking water. It seems a lot but the drinking bottles should be used to brush your teeth as well. For a family, I felt like the bottles given were not enough and we had to buy back some on our own.
-It was very far from the city. It takes 15 min to travel by boat from the hotel to the skytrain. It will take approximately another 30 min to reach to Siam station. which is the central of Bangkok.
-It was difficult to find places to eat. The dining options near the hotel was limited and it was hard to find Thai cuisine. The resturants/food courts near the hotel sell mostly Western or non-Thai food which was not what we wanted

Overall, I felt that my stay here was pretty enjoyable, however, it was like any other 5 star hotel and does not stand out from the rest, unfortunately for me.

Room Tip: Opt for a swimming pool view. Our riverside view came with only a glimpse of the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

At first...could hardly believe my eyes.the anantara is in fact an oasis in the chaos that Bangkok can be known to be!a REAL resort in the heart of the city what do u know!
Fantastic setting by the river.you might want to check into the main building as cargo view from the riverside blocks(only by day)can be a sore.great accesibility to Asiatique,which i found to be charming-a vehicle-free,quaint entertainment & shopping zone right across the river,perfect for people like me who don't want to bother stepping out much.The spa is fantastic!serene!!!soon became a ritual!
trader vic's will keep you well fuelled for the evenings with this fantastic Cubano band theyve got at the moment.
I simply loved the sprawling structure of the hotel with nooks & corners to eat,read & be at.bars& coffee houses at various levels.their Número UNO Cafe was a complete hit with my kids as they'd run down each time for yet another treat.Brilliant Thai hospitality,as always:)they work towards making your trip pleasurable & well understand that not everybody coming to Bangkok wants to shop till they drop.
...did I mention breakfast was a vast smorgasbord!a close match to the Sheraton riverside buffet breakfast,only much grander.Would come back here in a blink when can!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leah1998
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Loved everything about this hotel!!

Lovely resort feel, beautiful tropical gardens and surrounding areas on the river.

Free shuttle boat service into Bangkok to use the BTS and also to Asiatique every evening from 5pm. The staff working on the boat where so friendly & helpful, and remebered us everyday. Provided cold cloths on the way home after a hot & humid day in the city.

Stayed in a dulux premier room, beautifully decorated room & bathroom with the comfiest bed ever, and lovely and quiet.

Breakfast buffet was second to none, with a pancake station and hot buffet on the terrace! Just amazing!!

Pool & Gym faciliites where fantastic! Beautiful pool & jacuzzi which we used every day and my partner used the gym a few mornings and couldn't praise it or the staff anymore. Staff at the pool bar where very efficient & friendly and the happy hour between 4pm-6pm was put to good use, as drinks were a little pricey at other times.

Plenty of restaurants to choose from, but our favourite was Trader Vicks. We had one evening meal, and also the best sunday brunch ever!! Highly recommend! The very pretty young lady looking after us both times, (Didn't catch her name, unfortunately but it began with an N) was the sweetest, kindest lady we met in Thailand. She went above & beyond to make sure we had a great time, and really looked after us. She is such a credit.

We can't wait to return to Thailand, and will definitely be coming back to Anantara Riverside.
Thankyou so much.