“My home in Bangkok”

Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort
Ranked #16 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about my recent stay at the Anantara Riverside Spa and Resort in Bangkok. The experience began with the car service from the airport. Having just arrived from an overnight flight from India, the chilled citrus scented moist towels and bottled water were quite welcomed. Upon arrival at the hotel, General Manager, Claudia Pronk, herself greeted us, along with a member of the staff with more moist towels and refreshing juice.

Claudia and her staff made some special arrangements for our stay, and made us feel like more than valued guests. In fact, after meeting the Sunny, the food and beverage manager for the resort, he personally delivered a basket of fresh fruit and juice to our room. Why such treatment? Well we simply asked where he might recommend we purchase local fruit. It would seem service is a priority stressed with all the staff.

The grounds and rooms are beautiful and very comfortable, and the location is perfect. Just a 15 minute ride on the complimentary hotel ferry boat and you are in Bangkok at a convenient Skytram station. It is also quite easy to get to the Grand Palace and other temples. But I must say that I found myself not wanting to leave the resort.

A visit to the spa is an absolute must! I recommend the Dawn Revitalization treatment.

While I don't expect to be in Bangkok again soon, if I find myself there, I will again make the Anantara Riverside my home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gardeninggreekgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (6,548)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of January and we just loved it. A really well run hotel with very comfortable rooms and caring staff. It is well positioned along the river and has a free shuttle boat to take you across to the train station where you can then get a train anywhere. If we go back to Bangkok then this is where we will be staying ! A big thank you to all the staff for being so caring and helpful .

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite overlooking the pool and garden just lovely
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is in such a perfect location - on the River so ideal if you want to avoid the Bangkok traffic. The hotel offer a free water shuttle service.
Although we did not use it - the hotel is connected to a shopping mall (Boots chemist, McDonalds, Starbucks!).
Towels are provided at the swimming pool and its open until 11pm.
Dont worry about prebooking a taxi from the airport via the hotel as this is expensive - just find the taxi metre stand at the airport - its quick and easy!
Its worth doing a bit of research of places you would like to go - and dont rely on the consiege service. Well worth going to China Town, Siam Square (go to the old part - as this is full of locals and cheap restaurants and great atmosphere).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank matildaUk
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Situated by the river you couldn't find a better location in Bangkok! Friendly staff, nice pool and absolute wonderful landscaping. The food at the pool could be a little more interesting for the price you pay, but it's ok.
The hotel is connected to a shoppingcentre, so if you need basic stuff it's not far! And if you step out on the road you'll find authentic Thai streetfood - approx. 1£ or less for a meal - unbeatable. Don't forget to try the Thai lce Coffee or gafay yen as it is said!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JillCopenhagen
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed over the Christmas period this year. We were there for 8 nights and there were 3 Weddings one of which went on for 4 days and was for 400 people. At nearly all times you did not have full access to the Hotel as parts were blocked off for Wedding parties. I felt like a second class guest.
In addition, the Hotel is a bit of a distance from the centre and getting to any attractions takes time. For a short stay you are better off choosing nearer the centre of the City.
A good hotel to have or attend an event but otherwise there are many better Hotels in Bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay with us over the Christmas period last year.

I feel extremely sorry that you felt uncomfortable because of the weddings we had in the resort at the time of your stay. Please rest assured this is the opposite of what we strive for and our aim is to offer all our guests a great experience in our hotel.

I sincerley hope that we may welcome you back in the future and I would be very pleased to help you personally with any arrangements.

Warm regards,

Claudia Pronk
cpronk@anantara.com

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I always think its a bit unfair to have all hotels rated together as the expectations vary quite a bit depending on the price and the category. That being said, this hotel is in the upper price-range in Bangkok and therefore my expectations are high. I want the breakfast buffet to be well stocked and staff to be attentive, considerate and knowledgeable. I have stayed here before when it was part of the Marriott chain of hotels and those times everything has been perfect. Now however it feels like the standards are slipping. First of all we arrived early in the morning and left our bags in reception. When it was time for us to check in nobody could find the bags, and they made us follow them around the hotel to look at different bags and say if they were ours or not. It's not acceptable at this kind of hotel. After everything it turned out the bags were already in the room. But the room was with a big bed instead of two separate ones, something we had specified three times. Once in the initial booking and two more times at the reception. Again, although this was resolved promptly, it's a small annoyance, which I don't think should be part of your stay. The rooms are very nice as always, we had a river view which was lovely. The breakfast buffet was my third annoyance. The staff seemed scattered; walking around with coffee dispensers looking lost, taking orders and forgetting about them so we had to remind them, plates not being cleared away in a timely manner.
Overall it was a pleasant stay which is why I'm rating the hotel so highly, but there seems to be a lack of direction for the staff, perhaps a management problem or a staff training one. This is a shame as it tarnishes the image of an otherwise great hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extensive review on your recent stay at our resort.

Since you mentioned you have stayed before, I first of all would like to thank you for your loyalty towards us and I sincerely hope you will maintain this and we may welcome you back again with your family in the near future.

We have taken note of the mentioned points and feel very sorry about the arrival not being smooth at all and the service at breakfast not being attentive. We have reinforced training and will do our utmost to bring it back to the level were it should be and were you are familiar with from your previous stays.

I would like to thank you for expressing it in such a constructive and positive way and for your nice rating, I really appreciate this.

Warm regards,

Claudia Pronk
cpronk@anantara.com

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at the Anantara Riverside Spa and Resort a few times when I used to live in Bangkok. Most recently, I stayed there for my best friend's wedding. The atmosphere is good and the view is nice. My particular room I had a river view.

The staff were nice and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends