“don't use loyalty program”

Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
Ranked #109 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
California, Maryland
“don't use loyalty program”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I used my Royal Thai Orchid mileage for my stay. To my surprised we were treated as a sub standard customer. They slapped us with all kind of charges some of them are understandable such as taxes. In their online advertisement they claimed rooms with Wifi for one user. When I checked in and requested for password, I was told I have to pay additional charge. I followed procedure provided by Thai Airways contacting their reservation email address and received a confirmation from the reservation manager. She told me that breakfast did not come with the room and we have to pay for taxes and service charge which I was fine with. I protested but no solutions even when I contacted the Thai Airways. I was told if I had booked into another Centara Grand there would be no charge for internet. The policy is up to the property owner (I will talk more about this in Thai Airways Royal Orchids Plus).
The room is standard size and it was cleaned. I was surprised to discover the non smoking rooms are in the same corridor as smoking rooms. You can smell cigarettes smoke in the hallway.
We were assigned room on 19th. Floor facing the street. We heard this drum playing from outside and thought it would be over within a few hours, surprise they played this drum from morning until 6 PM for the 3 days we stayed there. None of the hotel staffs knew what was going on. We noticed large tour groups staying here. It was confirmed that they catered to tour groups than normal customers. In the restaurant we ordered off menu for our breakfast. I ordered waffle but it took them 45 minutes of have my waffle ready. There was not any butter and a small amount of syrup. When the plate was put in front of me that was it. I could not find our waitress for the missing items until when the bill arrived. I learned my lesson, I ordered pastry for the remaining of our stay and had lunches and dinners at the outside hotel restaurants. The maids were polite and very friendly. They always said "Sawatdee is" to us. This hotel is supposed to be a five stars hotel. In my opinion 3 stars should be sufficient.

1 Thank d2s1c2j
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Sir
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful State of California.
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay.
It seems obvious that you did not fully enjoy our services and facilities being disturb by noises coming for the school festivities next door, and not satisfied by the Royal Orchid Holidays features.
As I wish to take appropriate measure on the hotel services deficiencies, may I kindly request you to drop me a line giving me more details.
Our contact : excocglb@chr.co.th
Michel Serrano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed November 15, 2012

i loved the location easy access to the mall and chatuchuk market this was the main reason i booked this hotel the hotel has a free shuttle every hour to the market it looks really nice inside but the rooms are average had 2 issues there, one was the child in the room next door crying for abt 30mins on n off rooms walls are thin nearly was going to change the room but luckily kid must have fallen asleep lol the other was feeling and seeing the room swaying side to side and no i wasnt out drinking lol the effects of the myanmar earthquake i felt and saw them doesnt help if ur on the 14th floor, staff at hotel are friendly and helpful but the reception staff do lack smiling skills, checking in took forever with the young girl, i look at customer service where ever i go and apart from reception everyone else was super helpful and friendly, i really hope the young girls they take on get sent to customer service training rather then how to look nice alone,just a warm welcome and smile can change ur whole stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Madam
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of London
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the nice review and comments you have made about our rooms accommodation and our services.
I have taken good on the need to train better our newest staff members to raise the level of efficiency and bring up our legendary Thai smile .
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel does not stand the comparison with the other 5* hotels in Bangkok: the service lacks the usual warmth you get in Thai hotels, the amenities in the bathroom are poor, water was splashing all over the bathroom when opening the tap water despite having been recently renovated, etc.
The hotel lacks character and was packed during my stay by tour operators.
Good Vietnamese restaurant was the highlight of the stay.
I arrived at about 11pm and the area around the hotel was totally desert, definitely did not like the location though I understand that some might find it practical due to nearby metro (but there are many great hotels in city center that also have a metro nearby!).
Low room rate is main attraction - but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: High floors better, hotel is surrounded by very busy major roads
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Sir
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Hong Kong
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent visit.
I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy the services and facilities throughout your stay.
We took good note of your comments.
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just spent six nights at this hotel and the staff were fabulous, nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely, very clean, we`ll definitely stay there again. Very handy for the shopping centre. The only area forslight cririsism was the decking around the pool area, it really needs replacing. Very relaxing and an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Don`t go lower than the 8th floor, very near the road so could be noisy.
Dear Miss Sara
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Bournemouth.
I have taken good note of the pool deck, which actually under our renovation program schedule.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 13, 2012

To be fair to the hotel, Centara Hotel is a smart hotel in a strategic location close to the business district and also shopping and eating places. The rooms are bright and smart.

I am staying for 4 days 3 nights at the club floor. The check-in process was a breeze but not sure if the check-out would be as good. The Thai girls are friendly and put on a million dollar smile always.

I am still in my room as I am writing this review and nightmare begins after check in. What I realise for my first 2 nights is the male staff are not serious in the role they are supposed to play. Valet service is poor. We stood infront of the front entrance valet counter but the staff standing there pointed a figure at his colleague but his colleague dragged his feet to come to the counter to drive the car away. When we return to collect the car, the valet guy disappeared again and we had to wait for someone to attend to us.

As I returned to my room and I rang the laundry line, no one picked up and I had to call another department to get an ironing board and iron. After 15 mins, a man turned up with an iron and iron board with a depressing face and he did not smile at all and refused to go away expecting a tip. To be honest, I was prepared to give him the tip and in fact got it ready in my pocket, his depressed face didn't deserve the tip.

The next day, I went to Chatuchak Cafe for breakfast even though I had an option to have breakfast at the executive floor. I thought I could enjoy the vibe at the lobby floor and to start a beautiful day. I was standing at the cafe front entrace counter, smiled to the male staff who was on the line at that moment. He didn't look at me and didn't return my smile and I didn't blame him as he was occupied with what he was doing. I continued waiting and couple of guests skipped the queue and walked straight into the cafe and he did not stop them. There was a queue of at least 10 people waiting behind me now. Another male staff saw that I was standing there for a long time with that queue of guests building up, he asked for my room number, however was stopped by the guy on the phone. I was totally disgusted with his behaviour as he was looking all depressed and frustrated and was still on the line. This is clearly unprofessional and I suggest there must always be 2 staff at the counter tending to the morning rush hour as most of us are on business trip.

He didn't apologise and the other male staff stood there staring in blank and I turned and walked away.

This will be the last time I am staying at this hotel, for this price, I can get a better room elsewhere in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Choose this hotel only if you could get a promotion package that comes with free airport transfer.
1 Thank Mae010
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay.
It seems obvious that you did not enjoy our services and in particular the attitude displayed by our male collaborators.
Since you are still in the hotel , may I ask you top contact me directly so I could try my outmost best to ensure that the rest of your stay will be more enjoyable.
My direct extension line is 4282/3
Petaling Jaya
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Centara has 2 hotels in Bangkok, this one and Centara Grand at Great world - don't get mixed up. The one at Great World is the bigger (and more expensive) one - but there you also are facing more traffic jams. But it all depends on the purpose of your visit.
I did stay in Centara Grand at Central Plaze because we had meetings in Chon Buri, Rayong and Bangkok as well - and this location made it quite easy and fast to travel to the Eastern Sea Board and also to access the business district in Bangkok without too much jam. Also, if you are going back to the new airport in the early afternoon it takes only 30 minutes (taxi approx. 300 Baht).
The check-in was fast and efficient, staff at this place very friendly and helpful.
Rooms are nicely renovated (have stayed here before a few years back), amenities are well sorted and whatever you need is available.
Breakfast is amazingly good, huge spread of different foods, good bread and nice coffee, service a bit slow at rush hour times.
The Cappucino Caffee (part of the coffee house) offers cakes, snacks and nice salads if you don't want to eat a full meal.
Housekeeping and Engineering function well - no reason at all o complain. Internet seems to be a bit difficult, there is a relatively new law in Thailand regarding wireless log-in - so, it needs some time to get it all set up.
Anyhow, if you want to eat somewhere else and not in the hotel (they have several different restaurants, though), there is easy access directly from the hotel to Central Plaza where you can find plenty of restaurants and a decent food court (The Loft) as well. At the same time you can get all your shopping needs covered in this shopping centre - or you take the MRT to other big malls not so far (don't try taxi because that might take a very long time, depending on traffic conditions, which are usually bad).
The hotel is still in a kind of upgrading process (by mens of administrative organisation), i.e. check-out at present is a bit slow since it is handled at the same counter by the same staff who are handling the check-ins.
Will be back again !

1 Thank PetalingJayaHans47
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Mr Hans
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the nice review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.
I have taken good note of the check-in process which could be made at a better pace.
The Centara collaborators are very appreciative and hope to welcome you again soon in Bangkok.
Jabiru
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was about my 7th stay here, a wonderful place. (about time i wrote a review)
A great location next to 2 shopping centres, cinemas countless restaurants, food halls and hawker food. Very close to the MRT (5 min max) and Chatuchak Market is very close so try and be here on a Saturday. The refurb they have done has brought the hotel into the 21st century really smartly.
Great friendly staff that can never do enough for you.
If you are able to upgrade yourself to a "Club" room do it! It is really worth while with all the extras you get and the views from the top floors are Grand.

Room Tip: "Club" are really worth it
Dear Sir
The Centara collaborators are very appreciative and hope to welcome you again soon , on your 8th time perhaps, in Bangkok.