“Came in with good first impression, left with nothing but disappointment”

Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
Ranked #109 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
“Came in with good first impression, left with nothing but disappointment”
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for a long weekend with my family and girlfriend a couple weeks ago. We chose this hotel initially because we wanted to go the chaktuchak market during weekend as well as the small malls and central mall attached next to the hotel.

The lobby looks pretty big and grand as the long sofas give you ample of space to sit down. Check-in time was acceptable although the front desk agent wasn't as friendly maybe because she didnt really comprehend english.

We were given three rooms (610.611.612) so it was pretty convenient for us to find each other. The rooms were neat and tidy especially the bathroom as it looks very modern.

Next morning when we were about to go downstairs for breakfast the bathroom there was a foul sewage smell. We called housekeeping to follow on that while we were out and the smell was gone by the time we came back late at night.

The same smell came up again the next morning after flushing and this time it was even worse. I had no choice but to spray my adidas deodorant to neutralize the smell. This time i didnt bother calling housekeeping because we were going to leave the next day anyway.

Overall, i am quite impressed with the refurbishment of his hotel (aside from the sewage smell in the bathroom) until the last day when we headed down for breakfast at their coffee shop/restaurant.

For the past few days, the servers/waiters' service were below par but we overlooked it because the food was pretty good especially the croissant and danish.

As we were going in to the coffee shop we saw a signage that said "men are not allowed to wear singlets" (along the lines of). I was wearing a tank top with shorts. There was no hostess at the counter so one of the waiters came and told me to put on a tshirt because men wearing singlets or tanktops arent allowed to enter. I was surprised because the signage wasnt there for the past two days so i replied to the waiter that i wore the exact same thing yesterday and the day before but no one approached me at all with this concern. I guess she didnt understand english so she just directed us to a table. When we were walking towards the table another waiter told me to leave because i wasn't following the dress code. The thing that really irritated me was her attitude. On top of that, what makes men wearing tanktops worse than women wearing spaghetti tops? I didn't see any one wearing suits or whatsoever, so i don't see the point at all in enforcing this policy.

I went back up to change because i wanted to eat instead of dealing with waiters who dont care about their guests' feelings.

When my family came down as well, no one came to offer coffee/tea and set up the cutleries. Needless to say, i was
beyond dissappointed.

No - i won't be staying at this hotel again. I've never recieved poor service in the past hotels i stayed before in bkk so i was pretty upset.

If you are all about the value, this hotel could be right for you. But ifyou also value service, never go to this hotel please. I honestly didnt need a server to ruin my day especially when i was on a vacation.

• Stayed September 2012
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Mr. Marcus
I would like to thank you & you family to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, I am very sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied with our services and facilities.
We have taken good note of the recurrent bad smell problems in your bathroom.
In relation to the clothing attire in our restaurant , if we do have to enforce some standards, we should have shown more clemency on this instance.
We will brief accordingly the concerned persons to act with a more diplomatic approach!
The Centara collaborators are very appreciative and hope to welcome you again soon in Bangkok
Michel Serrano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went to Bangkok for Business purpose and stayed at Centara Grand for a week. Overall if you look at the Lobby it looks good in terms of property they have put up. I was put up on 18th floor which was a smoking floor and it was stinking because they use carpet in foyer as well as room. this was a negative point for me. If you look the room size it was decent with all the regular things in place. Room service was good and the food i had was delicious, though costly. Main drawback i felt was the internet connection. It was way too slow. Overall good experience and i would recommend this hotel though this is away from the main city.

Room Tip: please look for non-smoking floor and the top floors have decent room size
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TusharP
Dear Mr. Tusharp
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Bangalore
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the nice review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.
We have taken good note on your comments related to Internet speed and to smoking floor. We apologized if, indeed, we select the wrong floor for your accommodation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Centara's hotel are always good quality hotels. This one is situated in the north of bangkok. It is a two minute work from the MRT station Phahon Yothin; to get to the BTS you can take the MRT one stop to Chatuchak Park and walk two minutes to Mo Chit BTS. Travel around Bangkok is there fore very easy.
The main selling point is that the hotel is adjoined to a very large shooping and modern shopping centre with lots of places to take a coffee or to eat. I didn't eat in the hotel, why would i as i have a massive shopping centre next door where the bottom floor is dedicated to a food market.
The room was very tidy and had one of those showe room with glass; which can be fun if you like watching poeple shower :-) you can pull down a blind from the bedroom if the person showering wants privacy.

The down sides to this hotel are: the mini bar was very expensive. a small bottle of chang was 200bht. The room is more geared for business stop overs. WIFI was an exta charge(200bh per day). If like me you didn't bring a laptop then the hotel has no computers that you can use; this in my opinion is daft! I couldn't find an internet cafe near by, though the hotel did have a business centre where you could use the internet for 300bt per hour - i kid you not. Obviously you'd have to be daft or desperate to use this facility.

The OK's were: the gym was small but adequate. If you wee a body builder it would be insufficicent, but for average Joe it looked ok. The swimming pool was never used as far as i could see. it was medium sized and surrounded by plam trees so it offerred plenty of shade maybe a bit too much.Service from reception staff was quite good and friendly.

Conclusion: rooms were very clean though geared for business users. The hotels location is very good for shoppers, this will keep you wife very happy. The roof top bar looked amazing. make sure you bring a laptop if you need regular internet access. Apart from the roof top bar i'd skip eating at the hotel. Also, very easy to commute around bangkok from here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Peter G
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Mr. Peter
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of London.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Room: tiny, cheap fittings. Bathroom in a wardrobe.

Club privilege: We booked a suite club room but to my horror, it was just a show. Drinks were locked up, staff could not be bother to refill drinks. Breakfast as awful. And not flexible enough to go from a club breakfast to a standard room breakfast in the lobby. First time I experienced this. when I asked why they said because I booked from Internet rate. Which makes sense because Internet booking should not be a disadvantage.

Service: awful from reception booking to doorman to concierge. They could not be bother. I don't know why they would even bother to turn up to work. They have forgotten who paid their wages. Not only that they are unfriendly but they are also not ver knowledgeable nor bright. They can't help you in anyway. No idea of the surrounds, not very informative tour information.
Location: the only thing right about it. Although I prefer Hansar in many ways from service, room to the closeness to the bts.
Tour desk stuff up with returning the guest back to the right location which wasted one hour of people's time in the bk traffic.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Suzie W
Dear Madam
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent visit.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the services and facilities throughout your stay.
We are very proud of our set up standards in the Club lounge, and reckon that most of our customers enjoy the facilities. Nevertheless we have taken good note on your comments and we will take the adequate corrective measure to improve upon.
Rochester Park, Singapore
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Excellent service, upon arrival on 14th September to 22nd September. The lovely fruit carving and fruit baskets sent to the room was most appreciated and the staff were always helpful and polite. Conveniently located near Central Plaza for shopping and the MRT to go to Chatuchak weekend market. Highly recommend this hotel. We had dinner at the Thai restaurant as well and the food was quite good.

Room Tip: WE had the room right at the elevators, it was convenient and had a little sitting room with a slidi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EuniceGo
CGLB, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Sir
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Singapore.
Casatenovo, Italy
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I spent three days in this hotel for a business trip. The room was very nice. Windowed bathroom (you can see through it from the bedroom), with a fantastic huge shower.
All the lights and air condition switch are in a common console next to the bed. Bed is big and comfortable. Restaurants at first floor were nice and the breakfast full of many different things.
Not very expansive for European standards.
I was disappointed that internet wi-fi is an extra.

• Stayed August 2012
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mr. Cazzaniga
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Casatenovo.
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the positive review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.
New York Mills, Minnesota
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were so lucky to got a room on the executive floor with city view. This hotel is not far from Bts, MRT and Chatuchak Market. anyway, the hotel provides the shuttle bus to that destitions as well. There is various kind of food for breakfast but so so for dessert. Some staff there needs improvement including staff in the restaurant who chit-chatted loudly...and not paid attention enough for 5 star as its said.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Madam
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of New York Mills
We have taken good note on your comments in relation to staff behavior during the meal period, and we will take the adequate corrective measure to improve upon.