6 people are viewing this hotel
Official Site
$74
Agoda.com
$51
No fees just great deals
Ken D
Bangkok, Thailand

Excellent Bangkok hotel choice

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 28, 2012
For those of us with many years experience traveling in Thailand, where we now have a home on the eastern Gulf of Thailand, Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladrao is an excellent alternative to the downtown hotels. Most first time tourists with healthy budgets end up at the big hotels on the Chao Phraya river or in the shopping district on the Sukumvit. And while we've stayed at those and they're terrific we find that for visting friends, Centara Grand is a great choice.

First, it is a 5-star hotel. The rooms are modern, well appointed and very clean. The staff is attentive, professional and welcoming... most understand English as well (and don't laugh at our accented Thai). Second it is less expensive than the downtown hotels. Third it is well situated as it is attached to the Central Plaza shopping center in Ladprao... some 10kms north of the center of Bangkok. Bangkok for those who haven't visited is a massive, sprawling city of 10+ million. Fourth it is next to the modern subway system which wisks you downtown and allows you to connect to the modern (though limited in scope) SkyTrain. Fifth it is a short stroll, albeit in the heat and humidity of this tropical capital city, from Chatachuk Park with pedestrian elevated walkways that obviate dangerous traffic crossings. Note that this massive park is so large that the nearby Chatachuk market and bus depot do require a taxi ride. Central Plaza is home of a branch of the oldest and largest department store in Thailand offering just about whatever you want to purchase. There are also many, many shops and restaurants to choose from, all without venturing outside. The hotel offers many ammenities including a pool, healthcenter and spa. Bear in mind though that the upscale restaurants while offering good service, terrific food and bar service with spectacular views are very pricey, by Thai and American standards. If you are by chance visiting the Thai Ministry of Energy or PTT, the Thai national petroleum company they are literally a short walk away.

The hotel is also an excellent choice if one is touring north of Bangkok or heading to the domestic airport at Don Mueang, or the international airport at Suvarnabhumi as the motorways let you avoid the heavy traffic of downtown.

All in all an excellent Bangkok hotel choice.
Date of stay: July 2012
Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor tower room to enjoy the view... club rooms on the upper floors add...
Trip type: Traveled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded Jul 29, 2012
Dear Mr Ken
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Bangkok
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for a for the nice review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.
The Centara collaborators are very appreciative and hope to welcome you again soon in Bangkok
5.6 miles from Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
5.4 miles from Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
5.0 miles from Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
View more hotels in Bangkok
3,985 results
All reviews shopping mall chatuchak cafe suan bua weekend market business trip department store club level sky bar thai restaurant mrt station breakfast buffet star hotel business hotel very nice hotel deluxe room hagi dynasty
Selected filters
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nites. My room was at 21st floor, the Club Floor. The room interior is so nice and modern. Very clean indeed. The hotel is connected to a shopping mall where you could spend hours at the retail outlets for either shopping or window shopping. The hotel staff are pleasant. Will visit this hotel again.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Yusniza K
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear Madam
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Kuala Lumpur.
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the positive review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you have a chance to go BKK, you should visit this hotel. The bedroom is comfortable. Bathroom with rain shower. Central & Robinson shopping mall very big.

Date of stay: January 2012
1  Thank LPTSME
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear guest
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Bangkok
I would like to thank you not only to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay, but as well for the nice review and comments you have made about our services and facilities.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our family of four booked two rooms late June for 3 nights on the way to Koh Samui and another 7 nights on the way back early July. I booked directly on their website and got a special rate that is non refundable. We arrived almost 11pm and decided to have dinner after checking in at the Chatuchak Cafe which is almost opposite the reception. We all enjoyed our dinner food was tasty but a little pricey. We paid extra 2000 baht to upgrade per room and was given a corner room which was great and had 2 big windows. Our rooms were facing the Horwang School and the entrance to the mall. We got woken up every morning by the loudspeaker from the school as they do assembly every morning. In a way it was our alarm clock every morning :) At night we hear the continuous whistle blowing of traffic control outside the mall but got use to it after 2 nights. I booked this hotel thinking it was in the centre but ended up in Ladprao instead! I felt bad at first but the service at the club lounge changed my feelings. Ms Chonmanee S. is so welcoming and very helpful lovely lady. Mr Chookiat and the whole team looked after us very well. Breakfast selection is sort of limited though. I cannot complain with the service and worth paying extra for the upgrade. Our cleaning lady was so nice too. We prefer to check out at the Club Lounge as we were not happy with the male receptionist downstairs. There is a huge mall across the carpark from the mezzanine floor and it's I think 5 storey and another tiny mall just at the back. Across the road over the bridge there is another big mall ( Union Mall) not as flash as Central Plaza but lots of bargains. I don't think I'll stay at this hotel again because of it's location. It's at least 30 mins to Downtown.

Room tip: Avoid rooms facing the school.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Madam
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Auckland !
We will convey your special commendations of our Guest Services Manager and our most famous butler.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was a women on a business trip on my own (6nights) so i thought i wanted to stay somewhere near by places that i had to visit. The location is out of central Bkk but i didn't mind, i've found the complex next door is very useful for me to find something to eat or shopping. My room was quite small with that price, compared to another hotels in Bkk where i've stayed before. The cleaner was very annoying by knocking my door on several mornings even though i put a sign up "DO NOT DISTURB". One morning i was still in bed, he (yes a guy) even used his key to open the door how rude was that!!! And this is ridiculous!! when i put a sign "please clean my room" nobody turned up. I noticed the cleaner didn't really do anything but made the bed, I stayed for 6 night and wish they could changed my bedding even just once!! The cleaner at the other hotels would kindly tidy you belonging (not moving them away) in appropriate. Eg: my make up was all over the sink area should tidy put them together in one corner.
I knew that i'd get charged for Wi Fi (which I shouldn't) about £12 per 24hr. As I was working away so I needed a good speed wi fi but what I received was very low speed wi fi. I did complain at the reception (only being pretty and joking around behind the counter) when i checked out no apology but she was giving me a card so I could write a complain myself. I think they only do care for Thai resident to have the functions there or groups of air steward to stop for a quick night and go.
I stayed with another Centara before and did hope this hotel would be the same standard. With the price that i paid for is not worth at all. The new renovation and nice sky bar is not good enough without good service and good staff. There are plenty of service apartments or hotels with better room, good location, better on anything elsewhere in BKK.
Ps. I didn't mind paying about £5 for a beer by the pool but at least it shouldn't come in a cheap can!!!

Date of stay: June 2012
2  Thank SnoopyLeeds
Michel S, General Manager at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Madam
Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful city of Leeds
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay.
I am really sorry that you did not found our hotel standard and staff attitude up to your expectation.
If I may request for you to contact me directly, I would be hopeful to make all enquiries and investigation to take the appropriate corrective measure.
michelse@chr.co.th

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The first impression of the hotel was great but the experience got worst by such unwelcoming staffs at the check in reception. I personally asked if there is a wifi available, they just answer you have to to pay not free! ( That was it)

I stayed for 4 nights and my room still had dirts left on the floors for a few days when I come back to my room at the end of the day and the mat were missedly placed. I didn't think I would get this from a clamed 5stars hotel. The pillow is too low and soft that it had given me neckpain. Moreover, I walked pass the cleaning ladies many times and she never once smile nor said Good morning to me. The housekeeping and room service were very slow and never bring things with a smile.

Furthermore, I was staying in the club floor. One day I wanted to check out the sky bar before I go in the evening for some drinks. I went up and saw the sign of the club lounge privileged for club floors guest and hotel's members. I went in and ask if my room is eligible and the staff asked for my room number, I told him and he just said no your room doesn't have privileged. I asked why not? He just said in straight face you're not a club member and your room were upgraded to club floor only because our hotel is full. How rude can you be???

I was deeply disappointed with the services of Centara's Staffs considered it's a reputable hotel. Although, the bellmen were very helpful and friendly. That's the only good service I receive from here,
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Thailand has one of the best service staffs in the whole world as for my own experience; this hotel provides nothing like what other hotels in Thailand would.

2  Thank Chantha T
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

Dear Guest
I Hope that life is treating you well in your beautiful state of Singapore
I would like to thank you to have chosen our Hotel for your recent stay.
michelse@chr.co.th