“good hotel but somewhat pricy and location not exactly the best.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit

Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit
Ranked #226 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
albuquerque
“good hotel but somewhat pricy and location not exactly the best.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days in Nov. I liked the ambience. The staff is very nice and responsive. However, the location is not great. Somewhat farther away on Sukhmavit where the action is.
I got a single room through PricelIne for $80 per night but learned at the site that breakfast was not included and that it would cost another $17 or so per day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank worldtraveler1102
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your sharing your comments regarding your stay at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I am very glad to learn that you are happy with our service and I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Further to your feedback and the hotel location, our hotel is only 5 minutes walks from Phrom Phong BTS station, Emporium Shopping Centre, Benjasiri Park as well as many local street markets. Sukhumvit Soi 33 comes alive in the evenings as a major entertainment area, with an extensive range of Restaurants, Bars and Clubs located within the Soi for guests to choose from. Guest can easily travel to all locations within Bangkok with Siam Square, MBK, Terminal 21 and Bumrungrad International Hospital with in a 10 minute BTS ride from Prom Phong Station

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit in the future.

Simon Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

THIS WAS MY REVIEW IN JULY 2012 ( stayed in June 2012) :-

“A very good hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2012
Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in June. There was some scheme ongoing and the room came quite cheap. Excellent hotel. Got a newly renovated room. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. All amenities provided for. The staff was super helpful. The concierge desk will act as a good guide for all local sightseeing activities. they are ever smiling and eager to please. The location is excellent. On soi 33, just one minute walk from Sukhumvit Road. Skytrain station is 5 minutes walk. Lots of eating joints nearby. Emporium Mall is a 5 minute walk also. Had a very pleasant stay and will definitely return.

MY REVIEW IN DECEMBER 2012 ;-
Something has gone terribly wrong with this hotel. I visited just after 6 months!
The staff, specially the reception guys have stopped smiling! Everyone is so mechanical.
And service sucks!
Can you believe they gave me 2 bottles of water on the first day but cut it down to one bottle once that noted it was a single occupancy. And even if you ask housekeeping for a bottle on payment, it never turns up. Had to go out at 11 pm to buy a bottle of water.
And the tea coffe making facilities that was there has turned into a farce. Same like water -there was two tea bags allotted per room and for the last 2 days had to survive with one tea bag for more than 24 hours- they better not give this "facility" at all! Requests fall on deaf years.
The breakfast buffet has also become horrible with limited choice and sour faced staff roaming around - more busy with themselves than catering to guests.
And the funniest part is that by booking bed and breakfast as a single guest . they charge you the same for a double occupancy but with rationed provisions.
Overall, it was indeed a rude shock. I am plannimg to viit Bangkok again in January but am having doubts about whether to book this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank scoomer
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

As a valued guest of Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, please accept my apologies for what seems to be a short fall in service delivery.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further and can be contacted at gmoffice@hotellotussukhumvit.com

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel has a good value for money. Located in the red light district, we felt okay with that. There might be better hotels in Bangkok, but we had nothing to complain and didn`t want to spend a lot of money. There is a pool and the breakfast is average, but totally fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I am pleased to see you felt the hotel was good value for money and our weekend packages offer a great opportunity to try our renovated rooms at a great value price.

I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Bribie Island, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Pros: Whilst this hotel is reasonably cheap it has a lot going for it, with in-room safe, free wifi, good-sized flatscreen TV (with a truly lousy and meagre selection of channels, unfortunately), bathroom amenities and so on. Staff are very pleasant and eager to please. Lots of choice for bars, dining and shopping is available in the nearby vicinity, including a number of excellent well-priced Asian restaurants including Indian, Thai and Japanese.

The Cons: Cost of breakfast (around 800 baht++) was way too high for the quality of the food available. The huge and insoluble complaint I have, however, is the fact that twice I witnessed people at the breakfast buffet tasting food at the breakfast buffet, using the serving spoon and then dumping the spoon back into the yoghurt etc to be used by a later unsuspecting diner who would have no idea that this disgusting practice appears to be rife. Clearly the buffet needs to be closely supervised by hotel staff to avoid this lowlife act.... I will avoid pointing fingers other than to say that ignorance of basic food hygiene issues seems to be endemic to a certain Asian country (not Thailand, incidentally).

Room Tip: Avoid the buffet breakfast at all costs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank brisbanepete001
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback as your stay at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I am disappointed to read your feedback our breakfast and have taken action accordingly with our F&B Team, to address your comments.

In regards to the cost of breakfast, please note that the price you have mention is incorrect, and is infact THB 500++ per person this price is highly published through art the hotel and our websites. I apologize if there has been some confusion on this matter.

Again I thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit in the future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed one night here, really enjoyed the experience. The lobby is lovely, the rooms are large, clean & design is contemporary. The bathroom was absolutely fine, the shower powerful & hot. Thought has been given to the detail of the rooms which are both functional & comfortable.

The pool is amazing - we had an evening swim at 1930 - it was gorgeous (& empty!) & again in the morning.

Reception and concierge staff were helpful and friendly, the only improvement would have been for the concierge to help us flag down a taxi instead of pointing to a parked one outside, the driver of which was clearly intent on inflating his prices.

We did not have breakfast included but the room rates were very competitive so we didn't mind.

The location is not great for exploring the west part of the city, but it is within walking distance of the skytrain.

All in all excellent value, a very pleasant stay and I would not hesitate in going back should I ever be in Bangkok again.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank tkmax34
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I am glad you enjoyed our room and facilities, the good breakfast and the friendliness of our staff in general. I will share this with our team accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit as your next visit to Bangkok.

Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit as a 2-night stop-over back in Bangkok prior to heading home to the UK; it was this role as a convenient stop-over that led me to choosing this hotel rather than something "grander".

400Bt got us from the airport to the hotel by taxi, whereupon we were greeted most courteously by the hotel reception (and the various door-openers and greeters employed by the hotel). Check-in was straight-forward enough, and included a very refreshing cold cordial fruit drink whilst I signed-in. What did come as a surprise was that, despite booking a room with king-sized bed some 10 weeks prior to the stay, no such room was available on the day. Instead the hotel offered us an "upgrade" which included twin beds. To be honest, we were knackered after a couple of weeks travelling around so agreed to this without much complaint. The reception staff showed us to the room, explaining the wonderful offers that they had (£10 breakfasts), and the concierge arranged for our cases to be delivered.

The room itself was... average, if this was an upgraded room then I can't understand what the original room would have been like, but it was satisfactory and functional. The bathroom was a bit run-down, cheesy marble-tiled walls with irregular grouting and many tiles cheaply ground flat all looked a bit cheap; The bath fittings like something out of the 70's, including a rather naff self-rewinding clothes line over the bath, a toilet that like to overfill itself (I really should have complained about that...) and a hair-dryer that looked decidedly older than I was beginning to feel (it was a nice brown-beige wall mounted shrieking affair, with a 3-foot convoluted air hose for the poor person that needed to use it). The main living/sleeping area appeared satisfactory and clean - suitable for a quick business trip but not somewhere where you'd want to "live" for any length of time. Internet connectivity was provided by wired RJ45 (useless for a modern laptop, tablet or phone), or WiFi, offered on a rolling 24-hour basis for three devices with authenticated access (username/password) derived from random alphanumeric strings which had to be re-entered for each and every network SSID selected (being on the 19th floor, this could be, randomly, 18-1, 18-2, 20-1, 20-2). None of the networks tested worked particularly well, with frequent time-outs on basic web-page accesses, making internet access more hassle than it was worth, and the 3-device limit didn't match our needs.

A quick look around the room confirmed an exorbitantly priced mini bar, including the usual delights (beer, nuts, chocolate) but extending this to the items like mouthwash (which I'd expect to be complimentary, for such a small bottle) and condoms (I guess for the local night-life). The laundry pricing was a joke, charging more for many items than they'd cost to buy new.

At this stage I was forming an opinion that the hotel was pricing itself at the low-end of the business market, offering relatively cheap room rates but bumping the price up significantly for every other facility. Whilst we could afford the prices of for these facilities, we refused to on basic principles. Having since read other TA reviews, particularly for breakfasts, we were glad that we did.

Leaving the hotel that evening we were greeted with sex-workers on every front (up, down the road and diagonally opposite the hotel). This comment isn't necessarily directed at the hotel itself, but anyone (particularly with family) looking at reviews of the hotel may need to consider this. I should clarify that the "workers" didn't harass us at all - possibly because it was obvious that we were a couple. Despite this, there is a decent looking italian restaurant across the road from the hotel, and a Thai restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel (the Thai restaurant supporting the local "trade" with small dishes whilst we ate there, and offered some of the most inept service to ourselves). There's an English-themed pub on the corner (down some steps) of Sukhumvit and a couple more similar bars around the corner - great!, that was breakfast sorted at half the price of the hotel.

Check-out was uneventful and efficient, and the concierge flagged a waiting taxi from outside (note, not the normal Bangkok yellow/green cab, however, the driver offered us a fixed price 400Bt transfer to the airport which I was happy to accept).

So, a cheap-ish hotel, situated in a red-light area of Bangkok. If you threw the price of the facilities onto the basic room-rate then it starts looking decidedly expensive. The internet access is not to the standard that I'd expect for a hotel aiming at the business market. The bathroom looked like it really should be modernised, which surprises me as other reviews here claim the hotel was renovated sometime over the last couple of years - maybe they forgot our room.

A great place for an overnight business trip, or if you're looking to score some action from the locals, but otherwise... there are better places to be found.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed, then I'd get confirmation from the hotel before booking - clearly our...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Mr. Mike D,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad to read your comment about the positive service in the hotel during your stay delivered by our Front Office and concierge team and you are correct the hotel is ideal for business guest and also leisure travelers.

In regards to the issue with the bathroom toilet, I do apologize as this matter and had this been highlighted to the hotel team, action would have been taken to rectify this immediately. With the WiFi in the hotel, I read of your frustration with the authentication/password systems, and we apologizes for this however this is required to meet local Thai requirements.

In regards to your feedback of the hotels location, transparently the hotel is located in a vibrant Soi, with a large array of bars, clubs, restaurants conveniently located nearby for guest to enjoy. To call the Soi a Red-Light district would be in accurate, but as in all night life in Bangkok it can be vibrant.

In relation to your comments our minibar and laundry we will review your feedback accordingly.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.