“Cheap, but decidedly average hotel in a questionable location”

Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit
Ranked #236 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Preston, United Kingdom
“Cheap, but decidedly average hotel in a questionable location”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit as a 2-night stop-over back in Bangkok prior to heading home to the UK; it was this role as a convenient stop-over that led me to choosing this hotel rather than something "grander".

400Bt got us from the airport to the hotel by taxi, whereupon we were greeted most courteously by the hotel reception (and the various door-openers and greeters employed by the hotel). Check-in was straight-forward enough, and included a very refreshing cold cordial fruit drink whilst I signed-in. What did come as a surprise was that, despite booking a room with king-sized bed some 10 weeks prior to the stay, no such room was available on the day. Instead the hotel offered us an "upgrade" which included twin beds. To be honest, we were knackered after a couple of weeks travelling around so agreed to this without much complaint. The reception staff showed us to the room, explaining the wonderful offers that they had (£10 breakfasts), and the concierge arranged for our cases to be delivered.

The room itself was... average, if this was an upgraded room then I can't understand what the original room would have been like, but it was satisfactory and functional. The bathroom was a bit run-down, cheesy marble-tiled walls with irregular grouting and many tiles cheaply ground flat all looked a bit cheap; The bath fittings like something out of the 70's, including a rather naff self-rewinding clothes line over the bath, a toilet that like to overfill itself (I really should have complained about that...) and a hair-dryer that looked decidedly older than I was beginning to feel (it was a nice brown-beige wall mounted shrieking affair, with a 3-foot convoluted air hose for the poor person that needed to use it). The main living/sleeping area appeared satisfactory and clean - suitable for a quick business trip but not somewhere where you'd want to "live" for any length of time. Internet connectivity was provided by wired RJ45 (useless for a modern laptop, tablet or phone), or WiFi, offered on a rolling 24-hour basis for three devices with authenticated access (username/password) derived from random alphanumeric strings which had to be re-entered for each and every network SSID selected (being on the 19th floor, this could be, randomly, 18-1, 18-2, 20-1, 20-2). None of the networks tested worked particularly well, with frequent time-outs on basic web-page accesses, making internet access more hassle than it was worth, and the 3-device limit didn't match our needs.

A quick look around the room confirmed an exorbitantly priced mini bar, including the usual delights (beer, nuts, chocolate) but extending this to the items like mouthwash (which I'd expect to be complimentary, for such a small bottle) and condoms (I guess for the local night-life). The laundry pricing was a joke, charging more for many items than they'd cost to buy new.

At this stage I was forming an opinion that the hotel was pricing itself at the low-end of the business market, offering relatively cheap room rates but bumping the price up significantly for every other facility. Whilst we could afford the prices of for these facilities, we refused to on basic principles. Having since read other TA reviews, particularly for breakfasts, we were glad that we did.

Leaving the hotel that evening we were greeted with sex-workers on every front (up, down the road and diagonally opposite the hotel). This comment isn't necessarily directed at the hotel itself, but anyone (particularly with family) looking at reviews of the hotel may need to consider this. I should clarify that the "workers" didn't harass us at all - possibly because it was obvious that we were a couple. Despite this, there is a decent looking italian restaurant across the road from the hotel, and a Thai restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel (the Thai restaurant supporting the local "trade" with small dishes whilst we ate there, and offered some of the most inept service to ourselves). There's an English-themed pub on the corner (down some steps) of Sukhumvit and a couple more similar bars around the corner - great!, that was breakfast sorted at half the price of the hotel.

Check-out was uneventful and efficient, and the concierge flagged a waiting taxi from outside (note, not the normal Bangkok yellow/green cab, however, the driver offered us a fixed price 400Bt transfer to the airport which I was happy to accept).

So, a cheap-ish hotel, situated in a red-light area of Bangkok. If you threw the price of the facilities onto the basic room-rate then it starts looking decidedly expensive. The internet access is not to the standard that I'd expect for a hotel aiming at the business market. The bathroom looked like it really should be modernised, which surprises me as other reviews here claim the hotel was renovated sometime over the last couple of years - maybe they forgot our room.

A great place for an overnight business trip, or if you're looking to score some action from the locals, but otherwise... there are better places to be found.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed, then I'd get confirmation from the hotel before booking - clearly our...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Mr. Mike D,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad to read your comment about the positive service in the hotel during your stay delivered by our Front Office and concierge team and you are correct the hotel is ideal for business guest and also leisure travelers.

In regards to the issue with the bathroom toilet, I do apologize as this matter and had this been highlighted to the hotel team, action would have been taken to rectify this immediately. With the WiFi in the hotel, I read of your frustration with the authentication/password systems, and we apologizes for this however this is required to meet local Thai requirements.

In regards to your feedback of the hotels location, transparently the hotel is located in a vibrant Soi, with a large array of bars, clubs, restaurants conveniently located nearby for guest to enjoy. To call the Soi a Red-Light district would be in accurate, but as in all night life in Bangkok it can be vibrant.

In relation to your comments our minibar and laundry we will review your feedback accordingly.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Simon Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel was way cheaper than the last time I booked. I thought it would have gone downhill. However to my surprise, it had improved with a flat screen TV. Shower great and real nice sleep. Free Internet connection which made my day. Pool nice but far too few sun loungers, seats or tables. I saw 3 people and there no where to sit down for two people. Main drawback to hotel is that it isn't very handy for the sky train. Right in the middle of Asoke and Prom Pong. Dim sum lunch was very good but far too much food. Impossible to eat it all. I would return for sure if I got the same rate. the hotel is a bit old, but it has some character which some of the new Novotels lack.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms. In regards to the poolside area, we will take your feedback and are review this area to further improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit on your next trip to Bangkok.

Switzerland
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Beautiful reception, warm and friendly welcome, professional staff...those were my first impressions. The room (1704) gave out over the pool and a nice view of Bangkok's skyline. I didn't manage to go to the pool but it looked clean and in a nice setting, very inviting for a little recovering time. Breakfast was very good, with real coffee (what a treat!) and a varied buffet.
The room was clean and on the cusp of modern renovated and previous century. I guess they are somewhere in between on that process. Nonetheless, totally fine and quite quiet (which is a bonus in a big city such as BKK).
The other advantage of this hotel is it's location, close to the skytrain so you can get almost anywhere and in an area with lots on offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit. It is always our pleasure to receive the positive feedback.

I am very glad to learn that you are happy with our new renovated rooms and other facilities and our location in Sukhumvit.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit in the future.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed in this property before but my stays on 30th Oct and 01st Nov were memorable ones. Reasons are there were no surprises during my stays. Service quality is excellent and rooms were pretty neat and clean with grand views of the city. Internet worked properly, breakfast was like a feast. There is a bakery shop in the lobby which is very convenient for people who wants to have some snacks at odd times.

Rooms were spacious and decorated well especially the 11th FL rooms where i stayed. A well spread out bar with free coffee maker makes you to feel at home. A special package of snack with a beer bottle, unique in this hotel, is attractly priced to lure the visitor always.

Overall, the value for money can be acoomplished at this property.

Room Tip: Pick at the odd numbered rooms for a city view and numbers like **16. **14 have great views of the c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay at The Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit. It is wonderful to receive your positive feedback.

We are very glad to learn that you are happy with our new premier floor on 11th and 12th Floor of the hotel.

I look forward to sharing your comments with our team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit in the future.

sydney
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great location.everything was fantastic except the WIFI and the ongoing construction.
Fantastic breakfast with little change in menu everyday.The main thing which we liked was the staff ...really polite ,helpful and always smiling.Everything is nearby..skytrain,Benjasiri park and few good foot massage centres.
Thanks Lotus staff for being so great.

Room Tip: check for wifi connectivity of the room before you book.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank deepak_rai
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities such as the location, fantastic breakfast and friendlily staff and we will share this with our team for further encouragement.

In relation to your comment about Wi-Fi, I apologize for the interruption to the systems. Our hotel Wi-Fi network has been going through a complete upgrade to latest standard to improve performance as well as increase bandwidth speed. I am pleased to advise their upgrades are now completed.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Hotel Lotus.

It is an older hotel but it has some charm about it. The rooms appear to have been refurbished recently and the Deluxe rooms were roomy and well appointed.

The breakfast buffet was great and had everything you would expect of a 4-star hotel. The staff were particularly helpful and looked after my 5yo son.

It has a great pool that is great for hot evenings. The hotel is a <10min walk to the BTS station and 15min walk to Terminal 21 shopping centre.

The reception and concierge staff were also very helpful, polite and accommodating.

Overall, one of the better mid-priced hotels i have stayed in, in my frequent trips to BKK.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are great on the front of the hotel overlooking the pool. Ask for a room on a high floo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback to the hotel during your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and service. It is great to read such positive comments and I will share the team at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.