“Very good value for money”

Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit
Ranked #253 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Staff always very helpful, a very good value for money hotel. Conveniently located for transportation, entertainment, restaurants. Very happy to stay here again..................................................

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Labdragon
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback to the hotel during your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the location and it’s great to read such positive comments and I will share the team at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Have now stayed at this hotel a few times. Staff are very helpful and provide friendly service. Enjoy the location...great street food and close to the train.

We had a problem with the room on this visit, and we were moved without question.

Good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PViews

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing a great comment toward our Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit. We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
BangkokLotus, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Reviewed July 12, 2012

First of all, no mention when you book online, that this hotel is under renovation!! Once you checked in - 1st thing greeting you near the elevator is a big sign apologising for possible noise due to renovation work. They should tell you this online before you book!! Not professional!

Arrived there from Kathmandu in urgent need of a rest after fallen ill there. Check In was easy and fast - room was booked for 2100BHT online - all good. After two nights I wanted to add one extra day. Went down to front desk in the evening of the second night and they gave me a crazy rate which was almost twice the daily rate I paid the previous nights. I went upstairs and booked the room for 3500BHT which still was unacceptable high compared to the previous days but cheaper than the rate given downstairs. Still I accepted because I did not want to move luggage etc.

Next morning 11am I called front desk and asked if all is ok with my reservation. She said she would check. She did not come back to me - I called again and was asked to come down to show the reservation. 11:30am I walked down. They said they cannot find my reservation. Then I showed them my reservation on my computer from ACCOR direct. They would not accept it unless printed and requested me to go to their business centre and to print my reservation. How unprofessional is this? So to confirm my room for another night I had to book online (instead of been given a good rate at the hotel front desk), had to walk downstairs, being pestered until I print the confirmation in the business centre so they can keep their files in order - all not my problem - but I had to do the legwork for them!

Next day when I checked out I complained and after 45 Minutes of negotiation - longest time I ever needed to check out from a hotel they gave me 10% discount on the high rate of 3500BHT which I thought was not compensating me fairly for the inconvenience caused and the unprofessional treatment.

At all time people were courtous and polite but not flexible at all.

Housekeeping staff is great - keeps the place clean and they smile. Maybe the front desk could learn from them?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R8888
Rungnapa, General Manager at Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit.

I have personally followed up your comments about the issue you encountered, and would like to follow up a couple points for your information.

1) In regards to pricing, the hotel operates as a full dynamic pricing structure, meaning our
hotel rates may vary from day to day, much the same as you may experience at many other
Hotels or Airlines, hence the price quoted from your original room rate was different for a
different date.

2) On review the rate you were quoted to you at reception for you extension of stay, was
identical to the rate your purchased online for your extension, however perhaps there was
confusion with the rate quoted and the rate quoted with tax and service charge. I apologise if
this was the case.

- In regards to the reservation delay this was indeed a fact, as there can sometime be minor
delays from making a reservation online and this being populated into our property
reservation system. I apologize for this inconvenience, and in the manner our staff
responded.

In Relation to your comments about renovation, at the time you stayed, the hotel was replacing carpet on one floor as part of our ongoing improvement program. However this floor was closed to the public and pre-cautions were put in place to minimize impact to our guests. The signage you saw was to simply advise guest of this as we have many repeat / regular guests at the property.

I hope we get chance to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit as your next trip in Bangkok.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I visited Thailand in February-March 2012 and stayed for a total of 9 days. I spent the first 3 nights in Bangkok, then went on to stay 3 nights in Pattaya and returned to Bangkok for another 2 nights. Both my stays in Bangkok were at the Lotus Sukhumvit Hotel. Overall, I’d give the hotel a 8/10 rating.
As the hotel is under the Accor group management and as I’m entitled to special corporate rates at Accor properties worldwide, I got a really good deal with the room rate.

GETTING THERE:
I did the wisest thing by simply taking a taxi direct to the hotel from the Suvarnabhoomi Intl Airport. My advice is, don’t waste your time & energy looking for cheaper options. The taxis are pretty cheap themselves! They go strictly by the meter and put a small extra charge for a journey starting at the airport. For the 1+ hour ride (thanks to heavy traffic on the expressway in the late afternoon) to the hotel, I paid just about THB 300.00, which is pretty reasonable.
On my last day, for returning to the airport, I took a taxi from the hotel to the Makkasan station (insist on a metered taxi and avoid taking the hotel’s ‘limousine’ rip-off; it will cost you less than THB 70.00). Here, I took the airport express train going straight to the Suvarnabhoomi airport in about half-an-hour and costing only THB 90.00.

LOCATION:
For this hotel, its location just off the ever-popular Sukhumvit Road is a winner!
It’s just a few meters into the Soi 33, which in itself is a pretty bustling and self-sufficient neighborhood. All around the hotel, there are several restaurants, supermarkets, coffee shops, an ultra-modern shopping mall (Emporium), massage centers & go-go bars… everything that you would look for in Bangkok … within 5-10 minutes’ walking distance.
Only 5 minutes’ walk away from the hotel along the Sukhumvit Road, there’s Phrom Phong skytrain station, which makes getting around the city so convenient & cheap! The skytrain extends up to Siam (where the super-famous MBK shopping center is) and also connects to a couple of MRT stations (e.g. Asoke), from where you can take subway trains for longer journeys.
Even for exploring the (in)famous nightlife of the Sukhumvit area, this hotel proved to be ideally located. The night I went visiting the Soi Cowboy, I remember, I simply walked all the way there (about 15 minutes’ walk). And also to visit the Soi Nana (located further down the Sukhumvit Road), I simply took the skytrain to the Nana station.

SHOPPING:
As you turn into Soi 33, there’s a 7/11 in the corner, which proved very convenient. Even better, just out of the Soi 33 and turning left to go towards the Phrom Phong skytrain station, there’s a fabulous supermarket (forgot its name) only a minute’s walk away. It’s open 24 hours and stocks not only groceries & wines but also lovely sandwiches & bakery products etc.
The whole Sukhumvit Road is filled with restaurants, fast food places, beer bars and several makeshift street-side eateries. Just opposite the hotel there are 2 Italian restaurants and although they have the ‘fine-dine’ look, taking a pizza to-go from one of them wasn’t expensive at all. Also, if you walk around the hotel’s surroundings, there are several simple Chinese, Japanese & Indian eateries, which are pretty cheap but clean.
If you walk 5 minutes to the Phrom Phong skytrain station and take the pedestrian bridge across the Sukhumvit Road to the other side, you can directly enter the Emporium shopping mall, which is really chic. They have such a wonderful food court, where you get literally a world of cuisines to choose from.

DINING:
I had booked my room with breakfast included. The breakfast buffet was served in the main restaurant of the hotel (Coco’s Café) and was quite a generous spread. As the hotel is highly patronized by Japanese businessmen, there was a good selection of Japanese items (e.g. Miso soup, Japanese rice & fish dishes and even sushi freshly made early in the morning). But they also served a good variety of items for the Westerners (sausages, breads, eggs, hash browns, some nice cakes etc). And of course, there was the live omelet station, where the chef would prepare the omelet as per your instructions.
The staff members at the restaurant were a funny mix. There was this Thai lady (seemed to be the restaurant manager, as she was always wearing a black jacket), who was super smiley and talkative. But the rest of the staff working there looked pretty grim while they served. Their understanding of English also looked really poor.
I never dined at this restaurant other than for breakfast, nor did I try any other outlet within the hotel. But there seemed to be a popular cake & pastry shop in the lobby level, frequented by some college kids from the vicinity.

SERVICE:
I had a bit of a tiff with the reception immediately after I arrived and that left a sour taste in my mouth till the end. The beaming smiles of the Thai people and their exceptionally polite way of greeting/thanking their guests with folded hands are quite legendary. However you have to experience it yourself to know, how quickly these can disappear and be replaced by an unbelievable sulk, the moment there’s a clash of interests.
I had made my booking online through the Accor group’s official website (www.accorhotels.com). As per options provided during the booking process, I had specifically booked a standard, queen-bed, non-smoking room and the same was confirmed by the website.
However on reaching the hotel, the front desk manager informed me that there was no queen-sized bed available in the standard room category and that I would have to accept a twin-bed room. I refused, showed him a printout of my confirmation and insisted that I get the same. This guy, who had so far been quite polite & smiley (it’s a highly trained & rehearsed performance, as I’ve realized by now), suddenly changed his colours and turned pretty grumpy. Finally, after disappearing into the back-office for a few minutes and (apparently) talking to some superiors, he came out telling me that the hotel had decided to upgrade me to a suite. His whole attitude was as if he was doing me a huge favour, so I had to remind him in a ‘polite but firm’ manner that I had never asked for an upgrade, I didn’t even need a suite, I’d be perfectly happy to have a standard room but necessarily with the options that had been confirmed to me. From this moment onward, he decided to give me a cold shoulder and till the end of my stay, he never faced up to me whenever I passed by or stopped by at the reception. He’d actually pretend to not have seen me at all and assigned some junior staff to speak to me. So immature!
I had a run-in with this guy once more on my final day in Thailand. My flight was around 8:00 PM, so I wanted to leave the hotel for the airport around 4:00 PM. I requested the reception for a late check-out at 4:00 PM (reminding them that I had stayed for a total of 5 nights at the hotel and also that I’m an Accor AClub member). Of course, they were very happy to tell me that they could not offer me a late check-out, as the hotel was fully booked. They agreed to extend the room to a maximum of 2:00 PM (2 extra hours). Silently, I accepted this but requested for the use of the showers facility in the fitness center just before leaving the hotel. To my horror, I was told, “of course you can use it, Sir. But it will be an extra charge”.
I’ve spent my working life in the tourism & hospitality industry and I know it’s standard practice worldwide that hotels, even after guests have checked out, allow them free use of health club facilities for showering/changing before they head for the airport. But here, the reception staff seemed to have ‘blacklisted’ me as a ‘difficult customer’ and therefore were looking for every opportunity to act difficult with me in return. Finally, after a lot of arguing, they did allow me a free use of the showers & changing rooms.
I wanted to do some sightseeing in Bangkok, as this was my first time in Thailand, so I approached the Concierge on duty. This one turned out to be a very pleasant, approachable young man called Jacky and he was pretty forthcoming with information. I booked 2 sightseeing tours through him and made him promise a hundred times that I’d be picked up from and dropped back at the hotel before & after the tours. He also booked a door-to-door private transfer for me to go to Pattaya 3 days later, at a reasonable rate.

ROOMS:
As described above, for my first stay of 3 nights, I’d received an upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite. It was quite big… too big for my comfort, actually. But it was perfectly equipped. All the usual necessities and even an in-room safe (which I always insist on having), 2 complimentary mineral water bottles & tea/coffee making facilities (replenished daily). Bathrobe & bath slippers were also provided. (Perhaps because it was a suite), there was a 32-inch flat-screen TV with quite a mediocre choice of channels. No good views though, as this room overlooked a neighbouring tower.
Bathroom was quite nice, too, with all the amenities (incl. shaving kit, toothbrush set, shampoo, conditioner, soap, hairdryer etc) provided. Toilet was OK; the plumbing was pretty functional.
In my second stay of 2 nights, I finally (almost) got the kind of room I’d actually booked: a standard room with queen-sized bed, although the only room available in that category was a smoking room, which I absolutely didn’t want. But instead to refusing it outright, I first went to check out the room, found that it wasn’t stinking at all and accepted it. The view from this room was much better. It overlooked the city area and the little park across the Sukhumvit Road. In this room, there was an old-fashioned CRT TV.

FACILITIES:
Can you imagine a 220 rooms, 20-storeys tall hotel building with only 1 functioning lift? Well that’s what I had during my stay. Out of the total 4 lifts in the hotel, 1 serves only the floors up to the restaurant level (floor # 7). From the remaining 3 lifts, 2 were closed for maintenance throughout my stay. So there was only 1 lift left for the whole hotel to use in those very busy times. I sometimes had to wait up to 10 minutes for the lift to show up and even then, it could be too full to step in. Quite an inconvenience!
Also at the time I stayed here, the hotel had some major renovation work going on in the higher floors, so from 9:00 AM till 5:00 PM, you could hear constant hammering, drilling noises even in the lower floors. Forget about sleeping in late during your holidays!
I shouldn't forget to mention here, the hotel VERY VERY VERY DESPERATELY needs to change its carpets in all floors. All over the hotel, the carpet had that musty, dusty smell, which I was OK with, but it's not for those who are sensitive to these things!
Although the hotel has a swimming pool & gym in the same floor as the restaurant, I didn’t use either of them.

AROUND THE HOTEL:
At the corner of Soi 22 (coming out from the hotel, turn right onto Sukhumvit Road and walk for about 5 minutes), I found a very nice, efficient & cheap laundry service. Clothes (incl. undergarments) were perfectly washed, pressed & perfumed and delivered on the next day for as low as 20-30 Baht a piece. So obviously, I didn’t use the hotel’s expensive laundry service.
I wanted to get a new pair of glasses made for myself while in Thailand, which I knew would be much cheaper than getting them in Dubai. So I set out in search of a good optical shop near the hotel. There were plenty of them, but finally there was this really nice one I found (between Soi 29 & 31, on the main Sukhumvit Road), called V. Siam Optical (www.siamoptic.com). Here, I met this amazingly nice & friendly optometrist – Mr. Supat Janyunupwp. Not only did he have a very polite, comforting manner when dealing with customers, he also very patiently explained what the best options for me would be and didn’t charge an extravagant amount for the finished product. What’s more, he delivered my perfectly crafted new glasses within 2 days.
Another great thing about the hotel’s location was the abundance of massage centers offering either genuine Thai massages or even ‘full-service’ options. Soi 33 was filled with these massage places and also a few Japanese karaoke bars (since there are loads of Japanese expats living in the Sukhumvit area), which I believe also double up as pickup bars. The hotel itself is listed as ‘guest friendly’, i.e. hotel customers are free to pickup ‘companions’ from bars or off the street and bring them back to their rooms without any objection from the hotel. I didn’t take advantage of this facility myself, though. In Soi 35 (just a 2 minutes’ walk from the hotel), I found a really nice massage place and became quite a regular there throughout my stay. An hour-long, relaxing, soothing foot massage for only THB 300.00 here was such a steal!

MORE SHOPPING TIPS:
If you’re looking for designer labels and big brands, Emporium Mall is just 10 minutes’ walk away from the hotel. It’s a swanky, multi-storey shopping mall with plenty of eating options as well.
I regretted visiting that overhyped shopping center called MBK (next to Siam skytrain station). Not only do they sell really overpriced items there, but also there’s nothing so great about it. Even the prices at their food court didn’t make much sense.
But I was fortunate enough to have a free Saturday in Bangkok, so I did the best possible thing: I visited the famed weekend market in Chatchup Park. This is a place which is like, you have to see it to believe it. It’s an enormous open-air market with thousands of sheds serving as shops selling almost everything imaginable… clothes, shoes, accessories, souvenirs, furnishing & decorative items, food… you name it and you got it. I spent almost the whole day here and still I don’t think I saw more than 30% of this vast market. (Very easy to reach by public transport: take the skytrain from Phrom Phong to Asoke and then change over to MRT and travel direct to Chatchup Park. You emerge right next to the market).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Partha S

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time in communicating and sharing your experience and various comments with us. We very much appreciate and it is always pleasure to receive your feedback.

In relation to your comment about our Front Office Staff member, we have followed this up according as I was very surprised and sorry to read of this experience given the hotel prides itself as it is customer service. However I am glad that you saw could see this from our concierge staff.

In regards to your comments about the renovation and lifts the hotel was indeed in the process of renovations for a number of floors, as well as annual maintenance on guest elevators. This work on these floors has been completed, as with the elevators.

I am also glad you enjoyed our executive room as well as the fantastic location the hotel is in at Sukhumvit. I am also pleased to advise that since your stay we have made further improvements to our Buffet breakfast including healthy choice drinks and food options!
The fabulous supermarket you are referring to is call ‘Villa’s” and is indeed open 24 hours, and is with in walking distance as well a 7/11

We hope to welcome you back to Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit as your next trip in Bangkok

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in June. There was some scheme ongoing and the room came quite cheap. Excellent hotel. Got a newly renovated room. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. All amenities provided for. The staff was super helpful. The concierge desk will act as a good guide for all local sightseeing activities. they are ever smiling and eager to please. The location is excellent. On soi 33, just one minute walk from Sukhumvit Road. Skytrain station is 5 minutes walk. Lots of eating joints nearby. Emporium Mall is a 5 minute walk also. Had a very pleasant stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: take the newly renovated rooms.