“Disappointing”

Ranked #182 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

What exactly qualifies this as a 5-star hotel I don't know! I suppose a property can just do what needs to be done to qualify for 5-star status without really providing 5-star quality.

My GF & I stayed here for 3 nights while we visited Siam Square in Bangkok. Our room was average to slightly above average, the view from the room is nothing impressive. The size of the room is good and I liked the sofa in the room (we had a "Superior Room", which I think is their basic room). The TV and cable package was unimpressive.

Room service was good but a bit pricey. Stay away from the mini bar, unless you like paying $5 for a bottled water or $5 for a small orange juice! The prices for the mini bar are NOT posted in the room - just one of many examples I found of a hotel trying to rip you off. The room does provide a hot water maker which you can use to take advantage of the free tea and coffee in the room and an iron is provided as well. The safe in the room is particularly nice, and easy to use.

We never made use of the pool, but it looked nice. Very large pool. I attempted to make use of the gym located in the hotel, but I was stopped at the entrance and told I needed to wear sport shoes (I was wearing sandals). Since I didn't bring any sport shoes on this trip (only sandals and dress shoes), I can't comment on the gym at their hotel!

There was something about the staff at the hotel that was very unsettling. Other reviewers have described the staff as rude. Perhaps that it is. It seems more like they enjoy sticking it to you every chance they get. I was coming in one night from the club with my GF and we were stopped attempting to get onto the elevator and asked if we were guests there. Is this good security or profiling? I look good, my Thai GF looks good - are only ugly people allowed to stay here?! hahaa....I don't know! Also, the housekeeper that cleaned our room was very rude. Basically coming into the room even when I had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. She insisted she needed to clean the room NOW! I told her to come back later anyway. About an hour later, she called on the phone and again insisted she needed to clean the room NOW! I'd expect this sort of treatment at the Super 8 in America, but at a "5-star" hotel paying about $100 a night, you expect to be treated a little better!

The front desk staff seemed okay, but the hotel doesn't accept the Sofitel card, even though they are an Accor hotel (both Sofitels and Novotels are owned by Accor). I didn't understand why they wouldn't take my Sofitel card, which would have entitled me to a late checkout, free drink in the bar and some other items.

Overall, the hotel is nice. But disappointing! I'll be heading back to Bangkok in a couple of months, but I won't be returning to the Novotel on Siam Square! It's just not worth it!

• Liked — The room was nice & clean
  • Disliked — Staff ... particularly houskeeping
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dojodan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

I stay in the hotel for 2 nights. Overall the room of the hotel is spacious, clean and cozy, the location is good, it is near to alot of shopping mall
The drawback are hotel lobby and lounge is small, swimming pool is small, service of the hotel is poor.
When i check in at 2pm, i was told that the room can be ready only at 4pm, but when i ask for late check out, they only allow 1 hr late checkout after arguing with the reception
At the price of novotel, i can stay in a bigger and better hotel in bangkok, i will not go back to novotel my next trip in bangkok

• Liked — Location and Cozy Room
  • Disliked — Front desk Service, Size of the lounge and swimming pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I am a travel agent and did a sight inspection at this hotel as part of a work trip.

This would have to have been one of my favourite hotels in Bangkok. I would recommend this as a great alternative to Pathumwan Princess. MBK Shopping Centre is at the end of the road, less than a 1 minute walk. It is surrounded by shops and restaurants. It has been open for 18 years but had a major refurb last year and it looks stunning.

The guestrooms provide modern comfort, a unique feeling of spaciousness and contemporary decor for both business and leisure travel. The hotel offers 6 meeting rooms for hosting business meetings, banquets, seminars and other events. Furthermore, recreational options include a fitness centre, massage, an outdoor heated pool and sauna. Guests can also enjoy at the nightclub after a tiring day of business or excursion.

Room categories include Superior, Deluxe, Junior Suite, Executive Suite, Master Suite & The Siam Suite.

• Liked — Location to MBK & the decor
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Jen1985
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

A great experience staying at Novotel On Siam Square...In the middle of the Heart of Bangkok city...easily accessible to other tourist shopping attractions via the BTS skytrain...just a few minutes walking distance to the Siam Station...very near the Hard Rock Cafe and yes that is also a walking distance..
And the most important thing is...the hotel room is sooooo clean..and very modern decor....( I doubted my choice of hotel when i read some of the reviews here but lucky enough it doesn't turn out to be as bad...Phew!!) Staffs there are very polite and efficient...like the check in process...very fast and professional as we were lead to a business centre while they process our check in and were offered with warm face towel to freshen up, just like up on the airplane...the Singsation Trio performance at the lobby was also very good with the complimentary drinks...i like it very much but only the Tammachart Spa service was not that good..as in the massage was not as effective as the one we tried elsewhere in Bangkok...however the ambience in the spa is of course very nice and relaxing...will make a come back there for sure....

• Liked — Location,ambience,service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing that i can think of....
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

This is the place to stay in Bangkok. It's in the heart of the city at Siam Square. Very vibrant locale with lots of great restaurants and shops nearby, not to mention the Skytrain is just a short walk from the hotel. Novotel is 5 star quality at a 3 star price! Oh yea, the roof top pool is quite refreshing after being out in the heat all day long.

• Liked — Professionalism of hotel staff. Prompt services. Cleanliness and location of hotel.
  • Disliked — Heavy car traffic
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Novotel Bangkok this past weekend and had a pleasant experience. Most of the descriptions I have read about this property discuss how it's focused towards business travellers. However, the in-room internet rates were in the US$20 range per day, which seems to belie that description. Rooms were neat and clean with fairly standard modern decor. To echo an earlier reviewer, we were on the 9th floor and we could feel the vibrations from the music down in the basement club. It wasn't loud enough to require ear plugs or disturb sleep, but it was there. Breakfast at The Square was included and the quality/selection of the buffet was a little better than the standard breakfast buffets usually served. We tried for a late checkout, but they would only extend to 1pm. Anything later and they will charge you.

The hotel location was great - right across from Siam Paragon at the Siam Skytrain station. Hence, easy access to most of the cities sights, markets, and such.

We didn't try the spa services in the hotel, but went to one of the places across the street (there are at least 4) and had heavenly foot reflexology sessions for 300 baht (60 minutes).

If you're not looking for luxury hotel services and dining but instead want a good place to sleep with easy access to the rest of the city via foot, train or MRT, then I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

Although I stayed at the Novotel Siam Square in January 2006 I have just been reading some of the reviews and felt I had to redress the balance a little in favour of this hotel. We stayed here for 3 nights following a month long stay in Koh Samui. Our junior suite cost the same as our hotel in Koh Samui had cost for a month, but it was something special, and the service made us feel like royalty.

We found a huge shopping complex just across the street (a whole floor sells nothing but luxury cars!!!). In the basement of the mall I experienced the best fillet steak I have ever tasted in the sushi restaurant - highly recommended.

We are returning to Thailand this coming December and have chosen to stay at the Landmark because we are meeting friends there so it will be interesting to compare that hotel to this.

All in all though I am surprised so many people found this hotel a disappointment, please don't be put off

• Liked — The luxurious room
  • Disliked — Siam Square was a little dead at night
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple